Hickey and Hepburn to Bayern

Just now, craigkillie said:

Didn't see the game tonight but that's good news if he's starting to get a bit more experience in that position at club level. It would have been hard to ask someone to play that role for Scotland when they'd barely played it before, but the longer he can pick up top level experience the more likely it is that we can trust him there in a big game.

It doesn't mean we can magically go back in time a month and pretend he had any sort of good experience in the role at the time.

What we can acknowledge is what many posters said, he was a completely 2 footed player who would have no issue playing at rightback or right wingback.

Again, not being one of those posters craig. And actively disagreeing with this opinion at every opportunity. Do you think now you were wrong?

Edited by BingMcCrosby

I'm afraid that would only be a good point if I hadn't myself said multiple times on this thread that I thought he would be able to play at RWB in the future. I'm not surprised that you've managed to miss the nuance, but the argument I was having was with people who were saying stuff like "he's played there a lot for his club" when in fact he had about 3 games under his belt at that point.

I don't think it's hugely ridiculous to suggest that you might want to wait until a guy has actually proven he can play that position at club level before you parachute him into an unfamiliar role for Scotland, especially when we have someone like Patterson who is a natural RWB of a similar age and with similar levels of promise. Now that he's getting that club experience under his belt it's less of a risk, particularly with the performance against AC Milan last week. It will be interesting to see how he does against Juventus at the weekend too.

On 23/11/2020 at 12:59, craigkillie said:

He'll be able to play RWB in that system too, and as you've mentioned they might subsequently think about him as a central midfielder. Feel like he's going to get 20+ appearances this season which wasn't something I expected from him when he went out there. I always thought he looked excellent technically but he's still surprised me in terms of how well he's handled it.

On 22/09/2021 at 11:19, craigkillie said:

I see people saying this a lot, and obviously he does have the potential to play that role in the future, but as of right now he has just turned 19 and is still learning his own position, never mind being asked to play an unfamiliar one which he has barely played in his career.

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I'm afraid that would only be a good point if I hadn't myself said multiple times on this thread that I thought he would be able to play at RWB in the future. I'm not surprised that you've managed to miss the nuance, but the argument I was having was with people who were saying stuff like "he's played there a lot for his club" when in fact he had about 3 games under his belt at that point.

I don't think it's hugely ridiculous to suggest that you might want to wait until a guy has actually proven he can play that position at club level before you parachute him into an unfamiliar role for Scotland, especially when we have someone like Patterson who is a natural RWB of a similar age and with similar levels of promise. Now that he's getting that club experience under his belt it's less of a risk, particularly with the performance against AC Milan last week. It will be interesting to see how he does against Juventus at the weekend too.

So you think that bologna don't care about winning games and are playing him on the right for a laugh? During important league games against top sides.

Or they have assessed it and like many posters thought he could play their comfortably already?

The posters you disagreed with.

Also can you quote anyone saying "he's played there alot for his club"?

People were saying "He can play on the right" and they were correct. Which makes you....

Edited by BingMcCrosby

13 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Didn't see the game tonight but that's good news if he's starting to get a bit more experience in that position at club level. It would have been hard to ask someone to play that role for Scotland when they'd barely played it before, but the longer he can pick up top level experience the more likely it is that we can trust him there in a big game.

It doesn't mean we can magically go back in time a month and pretend he had any sort of good experience in the role at the time.

You were full of shit. Accept it.

11 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Proven to you. You don't matter. His coaches, who know what they're talking about, already knew.

6 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

So you think that bologna don't care about winning games and are playing him on the right for a laugh? During important league games against top sides.

Or they have assessed it and like many posters thought he could play their comfortably already?

The posters you disagreed with.

Also can you quote anyone saying "he's played there alot for his club"?

People were saying "He can play on the right" and they were correct. Which makes you....

He can’t quote anyone because nobody ever said that. 

Other people were simply better judges of Hickey probably by actually watching him play football, understanding the game and recognising his qualities on the pitch i.e. his versatility and two good feet.  Otherwise they probably listened to the views and compliments given by fellow players or those who’ve coached him, as opposed to googling a bunch of largely irrelevant stats. 

Edited by 8MileBU

27 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

You don't need to watch someone every single week to know he's a good player if he's playing consistently in Serie A at such a young age. 

Some folk really do if they’re going to come out with utterly clueless tripe like:

On 09/03/2022 at 11:01, craigkillie said:

Is he actually better than Greg Taylor?

image.gif.b37ff1a61c9189bf67612ab65a43911f.gif

1 hour ago, velo army said:

Casting up another poster's fairly beige opinion, expressed months ago,  on a fledgling player who is now showing the ability you thought he had is absolute wee guy behaviour. 

Looks like 16 hours (at time of posting this).

15 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Looks like 16 hours (at time of posting this).

I meant the ones from November and February that said he'd been played out of position and that Bologna's form had dipped as a result. Truly unremarkable and understandable stuff. Proven unfounded by nowt but the passing of time. 

Ach it gets on my wick when posters do this. It's got that "Ted Crilly Golden Cleric acceptance speech" energy to it. Just be happy that the player is doing well, rather than getting all snidey and derailing the happiness by giving it "oh, but let's not forget the folk who said this wouldn't happen".

People sometimes make predictions that turn out to be incorrect, and that's grand. Digging them out for it for your own elevation is, as I said, wee guy behaviour.

2 hours ago, velo army said:

Casting up another poster's fairly beige opinion, expressed months ago,  on a fledgling player who is now showing the ability you thought he had is absolute wee guy behaviour. 

It's really poor, low quality posting. Childish, desperate for approval/ look at how smart I am approach. I should know. 😅

16 minutes ago, velo army said:

I meant the ones from November and February that said he'd been played out of position and that Bologna's form had dipped as a result. Truly unremarkable and understandable stuff. Proven unfounded by nowt but the passing of time. 

Ach it gets on my wick when posters do this. It's got that "Ted Crilly Golden Cleric acceptance speech" energy to it. Just be happy that the player is doing well, rather than getting all snidey and derailing the happiness by giving it "oh, but let's not forget the folk who said this wouldn't happen".

People sometimes make predictions that turn out to be incorrect, and that's grand. Digging them out for it for your own elevation is, as I said, wee guy behaviour.

Craig spends his days doing exactly this to other people, so you might want to redirect that at him.

He could have taken the wind out of it quite easily by saying. "Yeah made an arse of that one" or "happy to have been proved wrong" or something similar.

Which is what I and im pretty sure you would have done.

We all support the same team here.

Edited by BingMcCrosby