Hickey and Hepburn to Bayern

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

Saw somewhere last week he was also linked to AC Milan? 

Tyneside or Milan? Like choosing between Carling and Peroni. 

It does seem an odd one.  Milan - potentially league winners, and in the Champions League next season.

Newcastle - relegation survivalists, but a huge pay day, a massive home support, and likely to be (soon) playing with world class players.

It's more than plausible that we could have left backs playing for Real Madrid, Liverpool, and AC Milan by the start of the new season.

18 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

It does seem an odd one.  Milan - potentially league winners, and in the Champions League next season.

Newcastle - relegation survivalists, but a huge pay day, a massive home support, and likely to be (soon) playing with world class players.

It's more than plausible that we could have left backs playing for Real Madrid, Liverpool, and AC Milan by the start of the new season.

That last part is wild. Utterly wild. Would swap one of them for a striker playing at that kind of level. 

By my count, Hickey was the 50th Scotland player used by Steve Clarke.

Some patter players in there without doubt, who we've done well to move on from, but I'd say the bad of the 50 were mostly used as filler during tiring camps or as subs as opposed to being regular starters. Strikers perhaps the exception.

7 hours ago, accies1874 said:

By my count, Hickey was the 50th Scotland player used by Steve Clarke.

Some patter players in there without doubt, who we've done well to move on from, but I'd say the bad of the 50 were mostly used as filler during tiring camps or as subs as opposed to being regular starters. Strikers perhaps the exception.

Mikey Devlin and Stuart Findlay played in qualifiers.

Considine played in the nation's league. Surely a few more of that ilk who only played due to injury etc.

Its extremely positive for us hes getting such good experience playing both sides. Being trusted to start at right wing back against Milan effectively ends that debate.

I could see him being capable of playing more than just the full back or wing back positions for us in future.

When Hickey plays on the left, he tends to dribble more with his right foot and cut back to cross with his right too. Then tonight and last week, playing on the right, he's doing a mirror image. Dribbling more with his left and cutting back to his left to cross. I'm not highlighting this because I think it's a problem or anything, it's very effective. It's just unusual and funny to see. 

10 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

When Hickey plays on the left, he tends to dribble more with his right foot and cut back to cross with his right too. Then tonight and last week, playing on the right, he's doing a mirror image. Dribbling more with his left and cutting back to his left to cross. I'm not highlighting this because I think it's a problem or anything, it's very effective. It's just unusual and funny to see. 

He's one of the most genuinely two footed players I've ever seen at Hearts.  Was playing 60 yard diagonals off both feet most weeks.

On 28/02/2022 at 22:08, craigkillie said:

Assist for him too. Their form seems to be turning around a bit since they stopped fucking about with him out of position on the right.

On 09/03/2022 at 12:01, craigkillie said:

Is he actually better than Greg Taylor?

Yes, vastly

On 11/03/2022 at 11:53, BingMcCrosby said:

Steve Archibald in the paper today also suggesting Hickey at right back. It makes alot of sense.

On 11/03/2022 at 13:35, craigkillie said:

Hard to argue with a tactical genius and Serie A expert like Steve Archibald.

Indeed.

Did you call this one wrong craig?

Edited by BingMcCrosby

Didn't see the game tonight but that's good news if he's starting to get a bit more experience in that position at club level. It would have been hard to ask someone to play that role for Scotland when they'd barely played it before, but the longer he can pick up top level experience the more likely it is that we can trust him there in a big game.

It doesn't mean we can magically go back in time a month and pretend he had any sort of good experience in the role at the time.