Hickey and Hepburn to Bayern

I reckon he could be a successor to McGregor but not right now. Nice passer and dribbler and would link well with Robertson and Tierney, but McGregor's reading of the game has been so good recently and it's too early to say if Hickey could do that, especially considering he hasn't played in midfield in senior football AFAIK.

He hasn't because he has arrogantly expected to be in the full squad despite having two of the best in the world in his position ahead of him. These games would be a good chance to get him involved with the full squad but there's a risk of it seeming like it rewards his prior lack of professionalism in a squad which pride themselves on that.

25 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

He hasn't because he has arrogantly expected to be in the full squad despite having two of the best in the world in his position ahead of him. These games would be a good chance to get him involved with the full squad but there's a risk of it seeming like it rewards his prior lack of professionalism in a squad which pride themselves on that.

I must have missed the interview where he said he should be starting ahead of Robertson and Tierney and that's why he's dingying an U21 call up. He's better than Greg Taylor and should be in the squad ahead of him. Numerous players have continually pulled out of national squads for varying reasons, Tierney used to do very similar where he'd play for his club either side of the national breaks but not for Scotland - the assertion now amongst fans is it was Celtic and injuries behind that. What's to say Bologna aren't telling their number 1 left back they'd rather he didn't go and play a pointless U21 game because they're worried about a niggle he's got?

Even if it was Hickeys choice, I really couldn't care less. It looks like he's worked professionally to me to be playing at the level he is at 19 and as far as I'm aware has said he wants to represent Scotland. And FWIW, most others on that list mentioned above have already had a full cap for their country, including both Spanish boys who no doubt have terrific competition in those positions. 

Edited by The Moonster

Is he actually better than Greg Taylor? They're both first choice for roughly similar clubs and both having very good seasons at those clubs. It's very easy to look at him playing in a better league and confuse that with him being a better player, but Bologna are probably not better than Celtic. I'm sure most of Celtic's squad could play in the bottom of half of Serie A too.

Taylor hasn't been in a Scotland squad since the summer either. Absolutely, Hickey has more potential to go on to be a Scotland player, and therefore should be in with a shout of getting picked. But regardless of whether he has given an explicit interview about it or not, it is very clear that he can't be arsed with the U21s, and I have had more than one source with Hearts connections telling me that he's pulled out of U21 (and other youth squads before it) because he thinks he should be in the full squad.

I'm 99% sure that Hickey would start over Taylor for Celtic under Postecoglou. Taylor has seemed to be a bit braver in his passing from what I've seen this season, but there's every chance that Hickey would be too against weaker opposition and maybe under a more adventurous manager*. I wouldn't disagree with the squad dynamic angle though, as we've only seen evidence that reflects badly on him.

* Not saying the managers are or aren't more adventurous, just that it could be a reason.

I think it's fair to add that Greg Taylor withdrew due to injury after being initially selected for Scotland's September international squad on Aug-24.

Additionally, Taylor was injured between Sep-11 and Dec-07 resulting in him missing the October and November games. I don't think it's unreasonable to say there is every chance he would have participated in those camps if he was fit.

https://www.celticfc.com/news/2021/december/07/greg-taylor--i-m-delighted-to-be-back-in-action-after-injury-lay-off/

Edited by 2426255

Why bother calling someone up if you know they’re going to withdraw 

This clears it up if any clearing up was even needed. It's clear he doesn't want to play for the u21s, the only point of debate is whether or not that should affect his first team chances.

I don't see what it serves by calling him up to the U21s and giving him more games and more travelling to do. 

He is good enough for the senior squad and therefore should be called up for that. If he isn't - for whatever reason Clarke has (which is entirely Clarke's jusdgement as it should be even if I don't agree with it) - then it doesn't automatically mean he should continue to be called up or included in the U21 squad just because he meets the age requirements. 

I don't have a problem with him not making himself available for an U21 squad call-up. If he was called up to the senior squad and declined then I would have stronger views. I hope the SFA and ultimately Clarke don't get petty over this but I get the impression from their past dealings that Gemmil/SFA might. 

7 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

I don't see what it serves by calling him up to the U21s and giving him more games and more travelling to do. 

He is good enough for the senior squad and therefore should be called up for that. If he isn't - for whatever reason Clarke has (which is entirely Clarke's jusdgement as it should be even if I don't agree with it) - then it doesn't automatically mean he should continue to be called up or included in the U21 squad just because he meets the age requirements. 

I don't have a problem with him not making himself available for an U21 squad call-up. If he was called up to the senior squad and declined then I would have stronger views. I hope the SFA and ultimately Clarke don't get petty over this but I get the impression from their past dealings that Gemmil/SFA might. 

It just gives the impression he’s not interested in playing for Scotland.