Hickey and Hepburn to Bayern

3 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Speaking as someone who is a right-footed CM (at an amateur level) I've been asked to play RB many a time and coped pretty well, but play me at LB and everything goes out the window. It's about more than kicking the ball, it's body shape, muscle memory etc etc and if you're not used to one side of the park it is more difficult.

Obviously professionals would be expected to cope better, but practice makes perfect and some players adapt to alternate sides of the pitch better than others.

I'm the same - right footed centre back, have played right back several times no bother but my few games at left back have mostly been horror shows. But these issues that you bring up with body shape, muscle memory etc. are mainly down to us being predominantly one footed imo - we're used to jockeying showing players onto our stronger side, dribbling with our stronger foot on the outside away from players closing us down, knowing how to get the ball onto our strong foot easily before playing a long pass etc. 

In my eyes when a player is fully ambidextrous these issues may not be completely removed, but they are far less of a problem compared to a player who is more one footed. 

Wingers swap sides all the time without this debate, I really think the risk of playing Hickey at right wing back is very minimal particularly when we play a back 3/5. 

I've started playing Hickey at RB on FM and it's been very successful. I've done t in several different saves so it' hardly like it's a one off. There must be some sort of ill feeling from Clarke towards Hickey as there's no way the Scotland coaching staff would ignore the most realistic football simulation there is. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59233336

Article on the BBC website about Hepburn (and Liam Morrison - another Scottish guy at Bayern who I’d never heard of) if anyone’s interested. Doesn’t really tell you much about how good they might be. 

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

43 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59233336

Article on the BBC website about Hepburn (and Liam Morrison - another Scottish guy at Bayern who I’d never heard of) if anyone’s interested. Doesn’t really tell you much about how good they might be. 

I can't be the only one reading that thinking this Morrison boy sounds like a crock? Slipped disc in his back and two meniscus tears all before the age of 19. Hopefully he's just been unlucky and isn't prone to horrendous injuries. Not really understanding how he thought Mandarin was a skoosh but German is rocket science either :lol:

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Morrison is going to join Gilmour, Clarke and Liam Smith in the Ayrshire takeover of the national team. The SFA had better hope there's not an independence movement on the way.

If anything Ayrshire will be asking to remain with the UK when the rest gets independence. 

If anything Ayrshire will be asking to remain with the UK when the rest gets independence. 

The footballing hotbeds of North and East Ayrshire provided some of the biggest yes votes outside of Glasgow and Dundee. The UK can keep South Ayrshire with its Tory farmers and shite football teams and players.

Just now, DiegoDiego said:
Just now, BingMcCrosby said:
He was on the bench for the 2nd team in a recent league game. Never got on, but at 18 its suggests he's doing well.

Quick! Sound the Jack Harper Memorial Klaxon!

Aye there's plenty like that, still worth keeping an eye on them tho.

We have alot of young players at big clubs now. If even 2 come thru its excellent for us.

It really is a numbers game. Youth team players at that level have a low chance of making it (albeit I reckon it's higher when the club has specifically gone out to recruit them from overseas), but the more players you have at big clubs the more chance there is that at least one or two will burst through.

It really is a numbers game. Youth team players at that level have a low chance of making it (albeit I reckon it's higher when the club has specifically gone out to recruit them from overseas), but the more players you have at big clubs the more chance there is that at least one or two will burst through.
Yup. It's the same approach as angel investing. You know 90%+ of your investments are going to go to zero but that's fine if you get outsized returns from the others. See also: the size of Atalanta's squad.

The Jack Harper quip was in jest, by the way, I'm as in the dark as most on here when it comes to the boy's potential.

On 17/11/2021 at 17:02, craigkillie said:

The footballing hotbeds of North and East Ayrshire provided some of the biggest yes votes outside of Glasgow and Dundee. The UK can keep South Ayrshire with its Tory farmers and shite football teams and players.

Killie are in the same league as Ayr though

But aye your right especially about North Ayrshire voting yes but there are lots that were no to for the housing schemes still voting on tribal stuff

On 17/11/2021 at 17:02, craigkillie said:

Nah, the Ayrshire kingdom shall remain as one. The UK can have the enclaves of Alloway, South Ayr and Troon. The farmers can move to the borders if they wish.

• 2 weeks later...