Hickey and Hepburn to Bayern

3 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

On the few occasions I saw Hickey play on the right for Hearts, he looked every inch a player out of position.

A game (semi-final?) versus rangers springs particularly to mind.

He should be third choice left back. I don't think there is any evidence whatsoever that he should be considered an option at right back for the national team. A smattering of games for Hearts in that position, where I don't think it even went particularly well, does not count as evidence that he could do it in senior international football. 

Taylor is the third choice left back he been injured though if Hickey is superior to him then exellent 

Who was doing well in that Hearts team though?Hearts were awful when he was with them,he has kicked on miles better as a all round footballer now

1 minute ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I’m not taking any criticism of Stephen O’Donnell from someone who thinks Anthony Ralston is a good player, sorry. 

Ralston is a better footballer than SOD offensive going forward and creating chances its debatable who is the best defender now that is how well Ralston has started the season 

Only way we will find that out at international level is by giving Ralston a chance,and we can put the he can't defend myth hopefully to bed 

28 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Taylor is the third choice left back he been injured though if Hickey is superior to him then exellent 

Who was doing well in that Hearts team though?Hearts were awful when he was with them,he has kicked on miles better as a all round footballer now

Yes, Hickey should be ahead of Taylor, and obviously at the moment he is ahead of Taylor by default regardless, given that one is fit enough to play football and the other isn't. Should there need to be a left back drafted in ahead of the Denmark game, one presumes it'd be Hickey unless practicality renders that impossible (and he gets enough "rest" over the weekend). 

He looked a promising prospect at left-back in that same Hearts team. This was obvious to everyone with eyes. At right back? Not so much. Has he gotten better at right back since going to Italy? Has he ever played there for Bologna? 

That's the thing that matters when the question is should he be included as a right back/RWB; how he'd do at right back/RWB. There is zero evidence he'd do better than either of the two currently in the squad vying for that position, both of whom can point to times they have done well in that position, for Scotland,  in this calendar year. 

14 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Yes, Hickey should be ahead of Taylor, and obviously at the moment he is ahead of Taylor by default regardless, given that one is fit enough to play football and the other isn't. Should there need to be a left back drafted in ahead of the Denmark game, one presumes it'd be Hickey unless practicality renders that impossible (and he gets enough "rest" over the weekend). 

He looked a promising prospect at left-back in that same Hearts team. This was obvious to everyone with eyes. At right back? Not so much. Has he gotten better at right back since going to Italy? Has he ever played there for Bologna? 

That's the thing that matters when the question is should he be included as a right back/RWB; how he'd do at right back/RWB. There is zero evidence he'd do better than either of the two currently in the squad vying for that position, both of whom can point to times they have done well in that position, for Scotland,  in this calendar year. 

Whittiker played left back for Scotland in some games and for Rangers when needed don't remember him playing left back at Hibs the English boy Murphy did

It doesn't matter a full back can operate either side like Tierney also did as well,both are very strong on both sides

I seriously don't understand your train off thought on this  one or anybody else's saying that he can't 

5 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Whittiker played left back for Scotland in some games and for Rangers when needed don't remember him playing left back at Hibs the English boy Murphy did

It doesn't matter a full back can operate either side like Tierney also did as well,both are very strong on both sides

I seriously don't understand your train off thought on this  one or anybody else's saying that he can't 

The fact that some full-backs have played both does not necessarily mean that this applies to every full-back, nor does it mean it is reason enough to play this particularly full-back out of position ahead of one or two actual right backs. 

My train of thought is simple; I'm not aware of any evidence that Hickey is currently good enough at right back or RWB to play there for the senior team in International football, at least ahead of the two players currently in the squad to cover that position(s). 

7 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

The fact that some full-backs have played both does not necessarily mean that this applies to every full-back, nor does it mean it is reason enough to play this particularly full-back out of position ahead of one or two actual right backs. 

My train of thought is simple; I'm not aware of any evidence that Hickey is currently good enough at right back or RWB to play there for the senior team in International football, at least ahead of the two players currently in the squad to cover that position(s). 

I just gave you the evidence off why he can he is strong on both sides,also when did SOD seriously become Mr Relible?

SOD has had four or maybe five solid games where he has done above and beyond against the better seeded teams 

Other times he has not performed that well he is only in there cos he played for Clarke before 

If he never he would have the bravery to actually stick to his word and cap players playing European football 

4 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

I just gave you the evidence off why he can he is strong on both sides,also when did SOD seriously become Mr Relible?

SOD has had four or maybe five solid games where he has done above and beyond against the better seeded teams 

Other times he has not performed that well he is only in there cos he played for Clarke before 

If he never he would have the bravery to actually stick to his word and cap players playing European football 

This might be difficult to accept, but you saying he is strong on both sides does not actually equate to evidence that he is. 

SOD has played well in that position. That is what we would call evidence that he can play well in that position. 

He is a solid enough back up to Patterson, who looks the more likely to start based on the last double-header.

Stephen O’Donnell was already an established member of the Scotland squad when Steve Clarke got the job - I think he had about 6 or 7 caps already. He isn’t “only in there cos he played for Clarke before.” He’s there because, limited as he is, he was the best right back we had available for a wee while. That time has now passed, but it’s incredibly unfair to him to suggest he was just shoehorned in because Clarke had an irrational liking for him. 

And obviously you can’t expect every full back to be able to operate on both sides. Andy Robertson was hopeless at right back against Denmark, and even Tierney, who did fairly well, was noticeably worse there than at left back, or even left centre half. 

14 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Stephen O’Donnell was already an established member of the Scotland squad when Steve Clarke got the job - I think he had about 6 or 7 caps already. He isn’t “only in there cos he played for Clarke before.” He’s there because, limited as he is, he was the best right back we had available for a wee while. That time has now passed, but it’s incredibly unfair to him to suggest he was just shoehorned in because Clarke had an irrational liking for him. 

And obviously you can’t expect every full back to be able to operate on both sides. Andy Robertson was hopeless at right back against Denmark, and even Tierney, who did fairly well, was noticeably worse there than at left back, or even left centre half. 

Hickey is more like Tierney though than Robertson,fair enough will concede he was involved before Clarke was if that makes you happy 

Ive got nothing against SOD and listened to his interview on Radio Scotland comes across as a good guy

But he is the weak link in the team when he plays for us just now,but he gives 100 per cent and that is all we can ask

If we are going to improve we need to find better than him long term 

Edited by General dissaray

36 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

O'Donnell was v good in this game under McLeish from 2018......as you say, pretty much a first choice right back/wing back pre-Clarke. 

29 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

O'Donnell was v good in this game under McLeish from 2018......as you say, pretty much a first choice right back/wing back pre-Clarke. 

Aye was at this game he was,at one point had to do a double take cos I thought it was Tierney but we were ranked above them big result but against a pretty meh team allthough there looking better this year in England's group 

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:
3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:
Fair play to Hickey asking for a rest. He's a young lad playing at an incredibly high level, and at least he's honest.

How do you know he's being honest? Maybe he simply thinks Gemmill is a fud?

Would be a better reason to pull out in fairness

3 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

That should have been posted with a health warning to all Dunfermline fans - 2.29 in. 

7 hours ago, General dissaray said:

thankfully someone like you will never get to pick the scotland team 

otherwise it'd be 

GK Clark

RB Hickey

CB Hyam

CB Elliot

CB Kai Naismith

LB Robertson/Tierney

CM Ferguson

CM Allan Campbell

Can't be bothered filling in the rest but you're a clown.

Edited by red23

otherwise it'd be 
GK Clark
RB Hickey
CB Hyam
CB Elliot
CB Kai Naismith
LB Robertson/Tierney
CM Ferguson
CM Allan Campbell
Maxwell Blackpool blazing around up front - the Highland Haaland.

9 hours ago, red23 said:

otherwise it'd be 

GK Clark

RB Hickey

CB Hyam

CB Elliot

CB Kai Naismith

LB Robertson/Tierney

CM Ferguson

CM Allan Campbell

Naw it wouldn't someone is talking absoulte crap again and totally not taking any context into it what so ever,yet moans about wading through piles off texts that clearly you don't actually read