Hickey and Hepburn to Bayern

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

As I've said before, he's playing against and with top pros in the Serie A every week now, playing for Scot Gemmell next to boys that likely won't make it at any great level learns him nothing. 

Or he turns up, shows his commitment and that he is miles better than everyone else in the squad and stakes a further claim for the senior side....

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

Or he turns up, shows his commitment and that he is miles better than everyone else in the squad and stakes a further claim for the senior side....

He's the third best left back Scotland have. If Tierney or Robertson get injured you're taking Hickey over Greg Taylor. He doesn't need to prove anything in the U21s when he's proving himself in Serie A. 

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

He's the third best left back Scotland have. If Tierney or Robertson get injured you're taking Hickey over Greg Taylor. He doesn't need to prove anything in the U21s when he's proving himself in Serie A. 

I’m not sure Clarke would consider Hickey as third choice in that situation. If Taylor was fit, then he would have a player who he knows and trusts, playing at a decent level and who has turned up for Scotland squads despite knowing his game time would be limited. 

Just now, Ignoramus said:

I’m not sure Clarke would consider Hickey as third choice in that situation. If Taylor was fit, then he would have a player who he knows and trusts, playing at a decent level and who has turned up for Scotland squads despite knowing his game time would be limited. 

Taylor is injured until possibly next year and will struggle to get his place back at Celtic. Hickey is playing every week in the Serie A and being linked with a move to AC Milan. We'd be mental to take Taylor from this point forward purely based on the fact he doesn't mind sitting on the bench. 

Pretty poor, to have pulled out of every U21 squad he has ever been called into, this time without even the hint of an injury. 

Arrogance, really. 

Still ought to be the go-to back-up should we lose one of Robertson or Tierney, but doesn't reflect all that well. Ideally he should be turning up unless injured, even if Scot Gemmill is a bit rubbish. 

He deserves to be in the senior squad, but this isn't a good look for Hickey. There have been rumours/doubts about his attitude towards the 21s for a wee while now and this doesn't do him any favours, also I'd imagine Clarke to be the type of manager who has very little time for anyone who isn't 100% committed to joining up with the group, especially with the type of environment he's trying to build.

It's a terrible look for him, it makes him come across as arrogant and or uncommitted. He has two clearly better players than him in his position for the first team and can't really expect to be in the full squad, so why not turn up, get used to the set-up and make a good impression on Clarke?

Compare him to Andy Robertson who, having already had a season in the English Premier League under his belt and several full caps for Scotland, dropped down to play for the U21s because the full team didn't have a game.

There is clearly pressure on him from Bologna to pull out, would you mess with Mihajlovic?! If he told his manager to bolt he may get dropped for Bologna no win situation

Why is that clear? Mihajlovic earned 63 International caps himself, and there doesn't seem to be any issue with other Bologna players turning up for their countries.

14 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It's a terrible look for him, it makes him come across as arrogant and or uncommitted. He has two clearly better players than him in his position for the first team and can't really expect to be in the full squad, so why not turn up, get used to the set-up and make a good impression on Clarke?

Compare him to Andy Robertson who, having already had a season in the English Premier League under his belt and several full caps for Scotland, dropped down to play for the U21s because the full team didn't have a game.

Hickey can play right back or wing back and SOD is getting picked over him and Patterson that can't get in Rangers team

I would be raging to if they were ahead off me and I was playing in one off the best leagues in the world 

I don't necessarily see Robbo and Tierney as his direct competition when Hickey could fill the grave yard shot on the right effectively enough given half a chance 

He also didn't want to play for one of the youth teams (maybe u19) while breaking through at Hearts which was put down to being overplayed at such a young age but that might be shite in retrospect.

I don't think he would pull out if called up to the senior squad, which could be used to disprove the idea of him not being committed to Scotland or used as evidence of him not being that bothered.

You'd imagine Clarke won't look fondly on these call-offs anyway.

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

He's played right-back roughly four times in his career and never right wing-back as far as I can tell.

Which was why I said give him a chance there SOD played mostly as a right back untill given a go at wing back

Good players can play a number of different posistions so don't think it would be a gamble once we use him there because off the derph off talant at right back especially 

Patterson 

Ramsay 

Hickey 

Ralston 

Is all we really have if we discount SOD

Palmer is in league 1 won't get picked again 

Edited by General dissaray

11 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Why would we discount SOD? And Patterson and Ramsay both look very promising anyway at right back anyway.

Hickey is a left back and he’ll still be in the squad soon enough. 

Cos SOD isn't very good and we need better options guys that are playing in Europe like Clarke talks about where he wants them to play but then doesn't call them up in Ralston case

On the few occasions I saw Hickey play on the right for Hearts, he looked every inch a player out of position.

A game (semi-final?) versus rangers springs particularly to mind.

He should be third choice left back. I don't think there is any evidence whatsoever that he should be considered an option at right back for the national team. A smattering of games for Hearts in that position, where I don't think it even went particularly well, does not count as evidence that he could do it in senior international football.