Hickey and Hepburn to Bayern

2 hours ago, Gordopolis said:
3 hours ago, Clown Job said:
Starting against against AC Milan 
Game is just kicking off now on BT Sport 1

It's been said before now, but: Serie A regular at 19? Got to think he's earned a call up to the full side now? I know we have Robbo and Tierney, but there's always a place for a third left sider in there - especially one versatile enough to play in a few positions.

Aye I'm struggling to think of the last 19 year old we had who was a regular in a top foreign league. Being a regular at 19 in your home league is impressive, but in a top league in a different country, different language etc speaks to a pretty strong character. Especially since Scottish players seem more homebound than players from other countries. He does seem versatile too. I wonder if he fancies playing in goals at some point....

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

Don’t think he had the best of games, subbed after 75 odd minutes 

But to be fair Napoli are a very good team who are undefeated in the league so far 

He played pretty well tbh. 100% pass success, was the most fouled player on the pitch and basically had Lozano nullified. 

They lost 2 penalties and a pearler from 25 yards, none of which he could have done anything about

23 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

He played pretty well tbh. 100% pass success, was the most fouled player on the pitch and basically had Lozano nullified. 

They lost 2 penalties and a pearler from 25 yards, none of which he could have done anything about

Agree with this. He can’t be far off a full cap if he’s playing every week at that level and at that age.

9 minutes ago, Ewan8472 said:

Bologna won 2 - 0 last night

It does seem that Hickey is now their number one last back/wingback. Very impressive at just 19. I wonder if he keeps progressing whether some of the bigger boys in Italy or elsewhere start to take a real interest.

I hope he doesn't just jump at a chance to go to the EPL if it comes up. I quite like following Scottish players in different countries. Let's be honest, most of us wouldn't even bother looking at Bologna scores otherwise. See also Farense last season, Club Brugges, Empoli etc

Edited by Theyellowbox

I don't think I've ever seen a full-back been described as neat and tidy but I think it sums Hickey up quite well at this stage of his career. He plays nice wee interchanges down the left and is beginning to evade pressure really well. My concern at the moment is that he's just not doing enough in the final third for a wing-back from what I've seen, but he does seem to be getting into better positions since his move further up the park so if he's just a bit braver then it'll hopefully come.

I still think he and Tierney would link up really nicely if given the opportunity.