Hickey and Hepburn to Bayern

17 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Hopefully, he can get a few games for the u21s so we can see him playing at that level. Also gives an opportunity to compare with the likes of Doig and Ramsay.

It's a bit of an odd situation to be honest. He is almost exactly one year older than Ramsay and is younger than Patterson. I would argue in his time as a pro he has achieved more than both, yet he has only 3 U17 caps to his name same as Ramsay and Patterson is a full international! I get that the competition is exponentially stronger in his native position at full international level, but I'm surprised he hasn't even been brought into the U21 squad, let alone the U19s. It must be COVID related, but it still boggles the mind.

56 minutes ago, albagubrath said:

It's a bit of an odd situation to be honest. He is almost exactly one year older than Ramsay and is younger than Patterson. I would argue in his time as a pro he has achieved more than both, yet he has only 3 U17 caps to his name same as Ramsay and Patterson is a full international! I get that the competition is exponentially stronger in his native position at full international level, but I'm surprised he hasn't even been brought into the U21 squad, let alone the U19s. It must be COVID related, but it still boggles the mind.

I think it's Scot Gemmill related more than anything else. 

I don't understand why folk want Hickey in the U21s anyway, if he's getting games for Bologna he learns nothing playing for Scot Gemmill against other kids. Get Greg Taylor launched and bring him into the senior squad.

Given he can play right and left back and actually gets a game, he's got to be a better squad bet than Taylor.

He's, imo, absolutely miles ahead of Doig and Patterson as a defender.  He's not really played in a team that encourages him to get forward but his passing is superb.

Taylor has started 10 times for Celtic this season, Hickey has started 13 times in his entire Bologna career. Taylor is also only 23 himself but seems to be talked about as though he's some veteran jobber. That's not a judgement on their relative merits, just a quick note.

Hickey is really nicely suited as a wing-back in our system. He wasn't great defensively when he played here and from what I've seen at Bologna he plays so high up the park he hardly has to defend. However, he is technically superb and would offer a lot as a wing-back option in our squad. I don't think he's remotely as good a defender as Doig, who I see as quite Tierney-like.

I'd quite like to see him in the next squad with a view to potentially giving him a go off the bench in the Faroes. Taylor has less to offer in these two games than he would in away games against better teams.

Just now, afca32 said:

I can't think of any Scottish players nailing down a starting place, as Hickey looks to have done, in one of the top leagues as a 19 year old in recent years. Am I missing some obvious names?

Gilmours just turned 20 and is a regular for Norwich. Mctominay was in and out of the team at 20. So its esteemed company for sure.

Cant think of a recent 19 year old offhand.

But I get what your saying, the guys doing really well for himself. 

So we have a guy starting in Serie A, who can play with both feet, left back or right back, and people are wanting him in the under 21 squad just to see? 

Im sorry but if we have a 19 year old holding down a starting position on Serie A, we have duty to nurture that talent and get him in the full squad.

What is it he will learn in the under 21 squad? And how can he be ready for Serie A but not ready for the Scottish national team?

On 14/09/2021 at 21:52, Mean Gene said:

So we have a guy starting in Serie A, who can play with both feet, left back or right back, and people are wanting him in the under 21 squad just to see? 

Im sorry but if we have a 19 year old holding down a starting position on Serie A, we have duty to nurture that talent and get him in the full squad.

What is it he will learn in the under 21 squad? And how can he be ready for Serie A but not ready for the Scottish national team?

“Just to see”.  Not quite.

No one has seen much of Hickey, purely on the basis that he is yet to play all that many matches.  Hickey has played 15 times for Bologna; Ramsay has played 18 for Aberdeen. Patterson has 18; Doig has 43.

The point was that it’s hard to make comparisons when we have such limited reference for Patterson, Hickey, Doig, and Ramsay.  If they are in the same team together, then relative ability is easier to judge.

I’m all for Hickey to make international inroads, but none of us could put those four in any sort of sensible, or defensible hierarchy of either current ability or potential.  I’m all for hearing it though.  

On 14/09/2021 at 21:52, Mean Gene said:

Scotland Gemmill will get him running about more.  So there’s always that.

True but he’s better than Taylor who keeps getting a call up.

I'd say that's subjective. Taylor was very clearly the better player when they were both in the same league, and both of them were still developing at that point, but Hickey is 4 years younger and therefore is probably developing more and faster.

For the upcoming double header I'd say Hickey is a better option, but for the likes of Austria away or Denmark at home I'd prefer Taylor on the bench.