Hickey and Hepburn to Bayern

9 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

Well exactly, he’ll certainly feel like he’s good enough for the first team. I guess that’s why (from a selfish Scotland fan perspective) I don’t want him to go to Arsenal, because at any given time either he or Tierney will be keeping the other out of the team.

Left Back is where Arsenal are weakest because Tavares is rubbish, so I def think they are buying him for Left Back.

I haven't seen Tavares to be honest. The move as a whole just doesn't make sense to me, so I probably am missing some part of the picture. 

Latest rumour on Hickey in The Times - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brentford-keen-on-13m-move-for-bologna-defender-aaron-hickey-kmk8cztn7

"Brentford lead the race to sign Aaron Hickey for around £13 million.

The 19-year-old has impressed playing on both flanks and as a wing back for Bologna this season and in recent weeks he has been linked with Napoli, Newcastle United and Arsenal — who say that reports of them striking a deal are not true."

That's a bit odd as Rico Henry, Brentford's LB,  is highly rated by Thomas Frank. He's played almost every game under Frank and signed a new 4-year deal in March. Hickey could switch to RB which would allow Ajer to play in a more central position.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Binos said:

£21m apparently 

Still can't seem to get past greg taylor

Sure, but if we're picking players based on transfer fees, Oli McBurnie would be supported up front by Oli Burke.

54 minutes ago, ArabFC said:

Sure, but if we're picking players based on transfer fees, Oli McBurnie would be supported up front by Oli Burke.

Arsenal are buying him not Sheffield United 

Allegedly 

Edited by Binos

• 3 weeks later...

There's no doubt he's a promising young left wing-back, that's great to hear. If he can keep that up when he moves to a big club where there is a bit more pressure then he might well be the natural successor to Robertson in a few years.

12 hours ago, craigkillie said:

There's no doubt he's a promising young left wing-back, that's great to hear. If he can keep that up when he moves to a big club where there is a bit more pressure then he might well be the natural successor to Robertson in a few years.

Your writing him off as a right sided player after one game? One game where we were getting hammered?

Not for me, players deserve more of a chance. If bologna think he can play there against the likes of Milan and Juventus, ill go with their opinion.

15 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Aaron Hickey has been nominated for the 2022 Golden Boy award for his performances in Serie A last season.

Let's hear no more about Stephen O'Donnell. 

There are 100 players on that list including Amad Diallo

The rumours of an Arsenal transfer for Hickey don't seem to be going away. Looking back through the comments here there are a lot of discussions around competition with Tierney and whether Hickey could/would supplant him, provide injury cover, Tierney potentially leaving or maybe Hickey playing on the right. The one thing I haven't seen is discussion on whether Tierney is the one earmarked for a move. I wonder if Arsenal see the potential for Tierney to move full time to a left sided centre back position. Arsenal primarily attack through the middle of the pitch, more so than any other PL side. Bringing in a player like Hickey, who to my mind is less attacking, less athletic, more about defensive positioning, might allow Tierney to play and influence the attack more consistently from a more central position. Hickey would be expected to sit and slot in behind Tierney as he pushes forward, so quite different to how Scotland deploy Tierney and Robertson for instance.

Have you ever seen Hickey play? All his strengths are about attacking and technical ability, he's not a very good defender at all. Every single Bologna game I've seen him spend most of the time in the other team's half of the pitch.

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Have you ever seen Hickey play? All his strengths are about attacking and technical ability, he's not a very good defender at all. Every single Bologna game I've seen him spend most of the time in the other team's half of the pitch.

It's a comparison Craig - I am comparing him to Tierney, not commenting on his overall style of play. I have said he is less attacking, less athletic and more about defensive positioning than Tierney. Tierney is one of the most attacking and athletic fullbacks in the EPL in my opinion. I certainly don't see Hickey being an athletic wingback who beats his man to deliver crosses into the box - I have literally never seen him do that or play like that in the c. 20+ games I have watched him. In fact, I would go as far as saying his lack of athleticism is his biggest weakness. I have doubts he can be a top level wingback at all in that style. He plays neat passes, recycles possesion well and holds his position.

Have you ever seen either of them play?

p.s. Just as an aside - is it a persona you are trying to cultivate or are you actually a know-it-all? Almost every post you submit is a 'my opinion is better than yours' type. It doesn't become you. If you have an opinion, give it - there is no need to wrap it in an insulting wrapper to get your point across.

Edited by albagubrath

Tierney is an excellent defender though, he might well be good going forward but he's rock solid as a defender apart from maybe being caught out in the air sometimes due to his height. I don't see anything remotely insulting about my post, I'm stating my opinion on a player the same as you.

29 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Tierney is an excellent defender though, he might well be good going forward but he's rock solid as a defender apart from maybe being caught out in the air sometimes due to his height. I don't see anything remotely insulting about my post, I'm stating my opinion on a player the same as you.

I didn't say he wasn't - I said that in my mind Hickey has better defensive positioning. That is a trait that would be hugely useful if you have a centreback integrally involved in pushing the play further up the pitch. Having a player who understands the spaces and is able to cover across is vital.

You started your reply with "Have you ever seen Hickey play" which I am quite sure you both know and meant to be condesending. I'll say nothing more about it because I find the petty squabbles on message boards to be tedious, however if you didn't mean it then you might want to consider your tone and phraseology going forward, and I will happily apologise for raising it.

I didn't say he wasn't - I said that in my mind Hickey has better defensive positioning. That is a trait that would be hugely useful if you have a centreback integrally involved in pushing the play further up the pitch. Having a player who understands the spaces and is able to cover across is vital.
You started your reply with "Have you ever seen Hickey play" which I am quite sure you both know and meant to be condesending. I'll say nothing more about it because I find the petty squabbles on message boards to be tedious, however if you didn't mean it then you might want to consider your tone and phraseology going forward, and I will happily apologise for raising it.
I would second much of that.@Craigkillie , you are a mind of information and a very good poster, however you do come across condescending at times towards others. Appreciate its only a daft forum but might be something you want to be mindful of if repeated in real world.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Came on to echo the above. Clearly been signed as first choice RB, much like the boy who watches Brentford on here suggested. 
If that could stop everyone wondering if he can play there from now on, that would be grand.