Hickey and Hepburn to Bayern

1 hour ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Steve Archibald in the paper today also suggesting Hickey at right back. It makes alot of sense.

Even if he's not as familiar playing there hes a big jump in quality from any competitors for the position currently.

I could see Clarke doing this quite easily. He had Robertson on the right a while ago (which was terrible). He plays Tierney at left centre back and Mctominay at right centre back. So he's not against trying things out. Plus Hickey is playing there occasionally for his club. Could be a good solution for us.

That would be a bit humiliating for Nathan Patterson, but I'd actually give it a go particularly if he continues to fail to break into this abysmal Everton side. 

Just now, monthefife said:

That would be a bit humiliating for Nathan Patterson, but I'd actually give it a go particularly if he continues to fail to break into this abysmal Everton side. 

I dont think it would be humiliating for Patterson. Hickeys doing very well in a great league. 

Also hes a young player whos done well for us. Buts hes not been playing recently, he can hopefully come back stronger.

Just now, craigkillie said:

Hard to argue with a tactical genius and Serie A expert like Steve Archibald.

I dont think its necessary to argue, were scotland fans discussing personal preferences for the team.

Hes got his opinion, and a pretty comprehensive background in professional football. Which doesn't make him correct, but his opinion is certainly valid.

Who would you play at right wing back?

37 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

What does Hickey offer in the RWB position, that makes him better there than Patterson?

18 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Match fitness at the moment.

Well that for one, plus experience of playing at a higher level. 

Im not sure if he's a better player than Patterson or not tbh. Its a bit early to be making a judgement for me. But he's playing regularly, at since jan he's played more right wing back than Patterson.

Once Hickey has been playing for a few months competently at right back for Bologna then yes he should absolutely be in consideration for selection for that position.

At the moment, he has played about two games there and some folk keen to have him start there. We have other better options at the moment. 

As squad cover for LB/RB then yes Hickey would make for a sensible selection (provided SC is content there is no attitude issues that disrupt the squad)

5 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

What does Hickey offer in the RWB position, that makes him better there than Patterson?

The main response that I’ve encountered on twitter is that he’s right footed. I’ve not seen much of him but people like Archibald have probably seen as much of him as he’s seen of Albion Rovers left  back. 

3 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Well that for one, plus experience of playing at a higher level. 

Im not sure if he's a better player than Patterson or not tbh. Its a bit early to be making a judgement for me. But he's playing regularly, at since jan he's played more right wing back than Patterson.

5 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Match fitness at the moment.

7 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

The main response that I’ve encountered on twitter is that he’s right footed. I’ve not seen much of him but people like Archibald have probably seen as much of him as he’s seen of Albion Rovers left  back. 

From watching Hickey, he isn’t anything like as athletic as Patterson so we would definitely lose something in terms of his driving runs. He may come inside and link up with the CM’s better, but IMO this Scotland side at its best is all about the chaos factor and Patterson massively adds to that with his link up with Gilmour and McGinn. 

Ralston is still getting some game time for us so I would imagine he will be in the squad given how shite O’Donnell has been of late (domestically) and Patterson not getting a sniff at Everton. f**k knows why Jonjo Kenny is getting a game ahead of him I’m guessing they are shitting themselves about getting relegated and he is more defensively minded but it’s still baffling.

I don't think there is a strong argument to be made regarding lack of game time at club level. The dynamic of the camp has changed since we moved from competitive to practice matches which lessens the importance of Nathan Patterson's lack of recent game time.

If new players are brought in, I'd imagine it's to have a look at them rather than to cover a lack of game time of first team players.

On 11/03/2022 at 13:51, craigkillie said:

Patterson is obviously the best option there now.

Clarke has said himself that he couldn't have had Patterson in if this was the playoff game coming up due to his lack of minutes. Nothing obvious about it at all at the moment.

His mistake, he cost the goal, he played the Atalanta striker onside. He was devastated. 

I think he was thinking their midfielder was going to shoot so he wanted to get back quickest for the rebound but the midfielder played a nice wee pass through to the striker and Hickey was caught out.