Hickey and Hepburn to Bayern

37 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

and Shandong Taishan are probably bigger than both teams but that doesn't mean that Hickey should move to the Chinese league.

A young domestically developed Scot playing regularly for a Serie A team in his first full season is great to see - it is interesting to now note Bologna and other Italian teams being linked with other Scottish players (am sure Henderson perhaps also contributing to this). In terms of career trajectory, Hickey moving to Brentford would be disappointing and quite a depressing move for anyone with a keen interest in the development of Scottish talent and from a national team perspective. . 

*No disrespect to Brentford etc etc

Would it? The Premier league as a whole is a better standard than Seria A, surely the better opposition that Hickey comes up against the better? I get that it seems exotic that he's in a league not in the UK, but that doesn't mean it's the best thing for his development or for the national team. 

I can fully appreciate that it seems more dull, and certainly nowhere near as exotic, but I don't see how it would be a dissapointing and depressing move. He'd be moving up in the world in terms of opponents, for a club who have a good track record of bringing in players, developing them before selling them on. If he does well at Brentford he won't be there long. 

34 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

His career, his choice, his life. It's a transparently selfish outlook based around your desire for the National team to do well.

A genuinely bizarre point. 

Surprisingly, in the tartan army forum people are speaking about their views of certain players and their benefit to the national team. 

To call someone selfish for hoping someone develops in Italy to benefit the national team, is frankly fucking stupid. 

13 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

A genuinely bizarre point. 

Surprisingly, in the tartan army forum people are speaking about their views of certain players and their benefit to the national team. 

To call someone selfish for hoping someone develops in Italy to benefit the national team, is frankly fucking stupid. 

He is hoping Aaron Hickey doesn't go to Brentford. It's only his own interests he is looking out for. 

Would it? The Premier league as a whole is a better standard than Seria A, surely the better opposition that Hickey comes up against the better? I get that it seems exotic that he's in a league not in the UK, but that doesn't mean it's the best thing for his development or for the national team. 

I can fully appreciate that it seems more dull, and certainly nowhere near as exotic, but I don't see how it would be a dissapointing and depressing move. He'd be moving up in the world in terms of opponents, for a club who have a good track record of bringing in players, developing them before selling them on. If he does well at Brentford he won't be there long. 
Brentford don't have a good record of being in the top flight though, so there's a good deal of risk involved there.

I'm open to being proven wrong on this but at this stage of his career I think another season of better the devil you know is the best call. He can still develop a lot in another season at Bologna, perhaps after that he can make a genuine step up rather than a debatable one.

He is hoping Aaron Hickey doesn't go to Brentford. It's only his own interests he is looking out for. 
It is possible for fans to be disappointed in the career choices a player makes whilst also understanding why the player made that choice. I don't think that makes them selfish.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

Brentford don't have a good record of being in the top flight though, so there's a good deal of risk involved there.

I'm open to being proven wrong on this but at this stage of his career I think another season of better the devil you know is the best call. He can still develop a lot in another season at Bologna, perhaps after that he can make a genuine step up rather than a debatable one.

? No idea how Brentfords record in the top flight stacks up, it's not a very long one. 

It might well be, I just find the train of thought, and you see it allot on this section of the forum in particular, that going away to a foreign league is far, far, far better than the Premier/Championship. 

? No idea how Brentfords record in the top flight stacks up, it's not a very long one.

That's my point, Brentford don't have a good record of being in the top flight, whereas of late Bologna have been a well-backed mid-table club. If you're a young, developing player I think you'd probably be better with the safer option all else being equal, though I guess there's a "character building" argument to be made about going through a relegation dogfight and managerial changes.

14 hours ago, magic sign said:

It is possible for fans to be disappointed in the career choices a player makes whilst also understanding why the player made that choice. I don't think that makes them selfish.

The reason KingRocketman II is being selfish is because his depression and disappointment comes from the fact he believes that Aaron Hickey moving to Brentford will have a negative impact upon his keen interest (The National Team). He didn't demonstrate any understanding of why Aaron Hickey would make such a move and so all I see is selfish self interest in his post.

23 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

In terms of career trajectory, Hickey moving to Brentford would be disappointing and quite a depressing move for anyone with a keen interest in the development of Scottish talent and from a national team perspective.

15 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

That's my point, Brentford don't have a good record of being in the top flight, whereas of late Bologna have been a well-backed mid-table club. If you're a young, developing player I think you'd probably be better with the safer option all else being equal, though I guess there's a "character building" argument to be made about going through a relegation dogfight and managerial changes.

You could also argue that if you're a young developing footballer then Brentford are one of the better clubs in England to go for, there's plenty bigger clubs with a worst track record. Not sure how relevant Brentfords league position is to that, five years ago they didn't have a good record of being in the championship, in Scotland, Kelty don't have a record of being in league 2 etc... 

I'd like him to join Brentford, there will be some selfish reasoning within that but I genuinely think it'd be just as beneficial, if not more so than playing for Bologna. 

On 24/01/2022 at 07:52, KingRocketman II said:

and Shandong Taishan are probably bigger than both teams but that doesn't mean that Hickey should move to the Chinese league.

A young domestically developed Scot playing regularly for a Serie A team in his first full season is great to see - it is interesting to now note Bologna and other Italian teams being linked with other Scottish players (am sure Henderson perhaps also contributing to this). In terms of career trajectory, Hickey moving to Brentford would be disappointing and quite a depressing move for anyone with a keen interest in the development of Scottish talent and from a national team perspective. . 

*No disrespect to Brentford etc etc

forgive me quoting myself ha

This is what we like to see - potentially two young Scottish players playing in the same team in a top flight European league! I wonder when the last time, or if at all, that happened (obviously not applying the English league here).

I hope it is a move that Ramsay makes assuming Aberdeen get a figure closer to their valuation (and that he doesn't go somewhere like Brentford :)) 

Bologna's bid of £3.3m for right-back Calvin Ramsay is below Aberdeen's valuation for the teen as Dons manager Stephen Glass warns last-ditch bids will only drive up the asking price. (Press & Journal - subscription required)

Edited by KingRocketman II

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

I tend to look at every move a Scottish player makes and think if it will benefit the national team. 

Ashamed to discover how selfish I am. 

It's okay mate, you're probably in the majority anyway - It's the way of the world, it's certainly the way of Scottish Football. It's obviously not a selfish act because it's just an opinion, but the viewpoint itself is rooted in selfishness. King Rocketman II doesn't want the best for Hickey, As he said himself he wants the best for himself (A prospering National Team). 

2 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

It's okay mate, you're probably in the majority anyway - It's the way of the world, it's certainly the way of Scottish Football. It's obviously not a selfish act because it's just an opinion, but the viewpoint itself is rooted in selfishness. King Rocketman II doesn't want the best for Hickey, As he said himself he wants the best for himself (A prospering National Team). 

I imagine wanting the best for Hickey, and the best for the national team align quite well - certainly from a footballing perspective. The better player he is, the more it helps the national team. 

14 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

forgive me quoting myself ha

This is what we like to see - potentially two young Scottish players playing in the same team in a top flight European league! I wonder when the last time, or if at all, that happened (obviously not applying the English league here).

Quoting self again 😆

Booth and Lambert at Dortmund maybe?? Not sure if they played together when there? 

18 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I imagine wanting the best for Hickey, and the best for the national team align quite well - certainly from a footballing perspective. The better player he is, the more it helps the national team. 

The problem is when Hickeys interests don't align quite well with a forum posters opinion on what his career path ought to be. For example if Ryan Gauld goes to Vancouver Whitecaps or if Aaron Hickey chooses to go to Brentford. That's why it's selfish and although very human it's  a bit silly to end up getting depressed and disappointed over.

The reverse is also true, so we saw poster burst into tears over Ryan Fraser putting his club before country. It's just all self interested, biased crap.

You could also argue that if you're a young developing footballer then Brentford are one of the better clubs in England to go for, there's plenty bigger clubs with a worst track record. Not sure how relevant Brentfords league position is to that, five years ago they didn't have a good record of being in the championship, in Scotland, Kelty don't have a record of being in league 2 etc... 

I'd like him to join Brentford, there will be some selfish reasoning within that but I genuinely think it'd be just as beneficial, if not more so than playing for Bologna. 

It's easy to quote extreme examples, I could say Aberdeen were a safe bet to continue to be to flight fifty years ago. Reality is that past performance in sport is heavily correlated with future returns.

You have to look at every move through a risk:reward lens and personally I don't think a move to Brentford at this stage in his career has enough reward to outweigh the risk.

That said, I have my biases too. I know far more about Serie A than the English Premier and a hell of a lot more about Bologna than I do Brentford.

18 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

You have to look at every move through a risk:reward lens and personally I don't think a move to Brentford at this stage in his career has enough reward to outweigh the risk.

Even if both clubs remain mid table in their leagues staying put makes more sense if Hickey is going to be good enough to play at a higher level. Bologna will most likely be ready cash in this year if not next and would also accept a lower fee than Brentford would. He could be playing in the Champions League next season, or the season after, and won't price himself out of a move doing so. There's no way Brentford would allow a player they've made quite a large outlay on leave as quickly and will command a far higher fee to do so.