Hickey and Hepburn to Bayern

4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

There’s clearly something to it.  I’d be surprised if he wasn’t a Celtic player come the start of the season.  You could argue it’d be a retrograde move.

Playing up against Lukaku, Berardi, Ronaldo (in fact, almost the entire Italy team), or the SPL. It would be a very disappointing result

On 25/06/2021 at 10:44, ArabFC said:

Fairly select or elite perhaps?

Anyone that draws up a top ten list of greatest ever centre backs would probably find half of them were under 6ft.

Baresi, Beckenbauer, Koeman, Cannavaro, Gentile, Matthaus, Sammer, Puyol, Malpas 😘 to name a few.

That said, Hickey doesn't strike me as one of them.

You will definitely find that most of those players played a long time ago. 

And 2 of your greatest centre backs are known predominantly as midfielders, who played sweeper later in their careers. 

Football has changed, and there really isn't many small centre backs at all now. Certainly at the top level.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:
2 hours ago, craigkillie said:
Subbed after 56 minutes at 1-0 down but they came back to win 3-2.

Didn't watch the game so no idea if it was due to his performance or because of fitness.

Looks like it could have been a tactical change after the sending off and goal.

They were playing against 10, then had a player sent off and conceded a penalty in the 50th minute.

They made a near-immediate double substitution to change things. He was playing absolutely fine from what I saw.

• 3 weeks later...
Needs to do his apprenticeship in the under 21’s. Should have a chance of playing when he’s turns 28 and amassed over 200 appearances  in Serie A. 
Taylor and O’Donnell are adequate enough for the time being.
Our captain is a 27 year-old left-back who has 51 caps.

I'm not too sure what to make of him at this stage of his career. He's clearly a talented player but he doesn't seem to use that to affect games as he's overly safe in possession. Granted, he's playing at a higher level so that'll be harder. It doesn't feel like he'll be suited to an overlapping full/wing-back but he has the attributes to play the position in different ways, especially if he improves as a defender. This is gonna sound daft considering I didn't want the move to happen - and it's amazing he's playing regularly in Serie A - but he actually would've suited Celtic's inverted full-backs.

I'm interested to see where his career goes as possessing his talent and experience having just turned 19 is exciting, and the uncertainty over his best role and position adds a degree of intrigue too.

4 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I'm not too sure what to make of him at this stage of his career. He's clearly a talented player but he doesn't seem to use that to affect games as he's overly safe in possession. Granted, he's playing at a higher level so that'll be harder. It doesn't feel like he'll be suited to an overlapping full/wing-back but he has the attributes to play the position in different ways, especially if he improves as a defender. This is gonna sound daft considering I didn't want the move to happen - and it's amazing he's playing regularly in Serie A - but he actually would've suited Celtic's inverted full-backs.

I'm interested to see where his career goes as possessing his talent and experience having just turned 19 is exciting, and the uncertainty over his best role and position adds a degree of intrigue too.

Hopefully, he can get a few games for the u21s so we can see him playing at that level. Also gives an opportunity to compare with the likes of Doig and Ramsay.