Hickey and Hepburn to Bayern

1 minute ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

Its isotonic sports drinks like Lucozade or whatever, still not sparkling.

You know what's funny though, its scientifically proven water rehydrates faster than anything else. Its best if its at room temperature too, its absorbed quicker, not cold.

But isotonic drinks have stuff added too.

I know what it is, I'm just wondering what exactly DiegoDiego thinks is in the bottles.

Red Bull markets itself mainly to the every day person, saying that drinking Red Bull will help them fly through their stressful day. I don't ever remember watching a Red Bull advert that was aimed at giving athletes the extra energy or focus they need to win, which is pretty much all the likes of Lucozade do. People pointing a brain dead nugget like Jamie Vardy and trying to use him as proof that Red Bull is great for athletes is laughable.

50 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

England had a world cup game postponed by 24 hours a few years ago and it came out that quite a few of the players had issues sleeping the night the game should've gone ahead as they'd taken caffiene pills pre-match.  They had to take sleeping pills to get them off that night.

That's to adjust their body clock as they travel most likely.

And what sort of weirdo gets off on sleeping pills

48 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I know what it is, I'm just wondering what exactly DiegoDiego thinks is in the bottles.

Red Bull markets itself mainly to the every day person, saying that drinking Red Bull will help them fly through their stressful day. I don't ever remember watching a Red Bull advert that was aimed at giving athletes the extra energy or focus they need to win, which is pretty much all the likes of Lucozade do. People pointing a brain dead nugget like Jamie Vardy and trying to use him as proof that Red Bull is great for athletes is laughable.

Aye Vardy's just an idiot. If Ronaldo did it that might mean something, but he doesn't.

What if the match isn't over when you crash? 
Of course its not water, its isotonic sports drinks its not fuckin drugs lol.  Players at the top level can't get away with that now, it just doesn't happen.

That is outrageously naive. Football's testing is ridiculously lax. There's a long history of footballers using PEDs, if you think it's suddenly stopped since the money at stake went up by a couple of orders of magnitude then you're living in cuckoo land.

6 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:
7 hours ago, craigkillie said:
Footballers are almost certainly using performance enhancing drugs, but I very much doubt they are doing so out of drinks bottles at the side of the pitch.

Not do I. But the stuff in the bottles isn't water either.

So what do you think it is? Vodka?

13 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

That is outrageously naive. Football's testing is ridiculously lax. There's a long history of footballers using PEDs, if you think it's suddenly stopped since the money at stake went up by a couple of orders of magnitude then you're living in cuckoo land.

Is it?  I don't think so, 25 years ago maybe now you just wouldn't get away with it.

13 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Footballers are almost certainly using performance enhancing drugs, but I very much doubt they are doing so out of drinks bottles at the side of the pitch.

Bollocks they are, that's just utter nonsense. If they were there would be lots of cases of people having been caught for it, there isn't. 

Rio Ferdinand got an 8 month ban for simply missing a drugs test not failing one, and that was fifteen years ago.

You could get away with it if you played for Arbroath probably, Man Utd no chance whatsoever.

I mean imagine someone like Ronaldo. How many times do you think he's been tested in his life?  A thousand?  Something like that?  Its just not feasible that he could ever have taken anything and got away with it, he'd have been caught years and years ago.

Maradona tried it in 94 and got done straight away. Sine die. Football at the very top level is ultra clean, much more than almost every other sport, because its the biggest sport by far so its very highly regulated and there's so much money involved. Nobody is taking drugs and getting away with it at a decent level of the game, its just not possible.

Players at the top level get huge amounts of guidance on that. They are given lists of medications they can take and those they can't, so for example Vicks Vapo Rub might be out cause it has trace elements of a steroid in it, and Halls Soothers might be okay but Lockets are banned. They also have to consult with their club doctor about everything they take even things like suncream on holiday they have to check.

Its mega regulated to a level that I don't think any other sport is, that's why its extremely rare to see anyone getting done for it, cause they just don't do it as you would get caught straight away.

32 minutes ago, Carnoustie Young Guvnor said:

That's just a baseless allegation with nothing to back it up though.  

Give it a simple Google and you will find out otherwise. Pretty sure there was a year recently where Chris Froome had more tests over the season than the whole of La Liga.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38928615

Edit:  Here are some Scottish stats. Nothing to see here guv, like literally nothing  https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/15039801.scottish-football-has-been-drug-test-free-this-season/

I am sure they are trying but there are huge challenges. There will be people and clubs surfing right on the edge of the rules using that army of doctors and nutritionists you describe and those just outright breaking them.

Pretty sure the entire winning Spanish world cup team's bloods are part of a dispute between their drug testing authority, Government and that doctor who doped Lance Armstrong.

It doesn't seem to be quite the same issue as it is in individual sports but the testing is nowhere near as stringent either.

Edit 2 - Re Spain Wada now apparently have the blood, they just can't name whose it is because it was held up in court too long. 

Here is a great article about that and football doping in general - https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/other-soccer/ewan-mackenna-murky-questions-surround-spanish-footballs-golden-era-and-people-might-not-like-the-answers-36943284.html

Edited by The Algebraist

1 hour ago, The Algebraist said:

Give it a simple Google and you will find out otherwise. Pretty sure there was a year recently where Chris Froome had more tests over the season than the whole of La Liga.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38928615

Edit:  Here are some Scottish stats. Nothing to see here guv, like literally nothing  https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/15039801.scottish-football-has-been-drug-test-free-this-season/

I am sure they are trying but there are huge challenges. There will be people and clubs surfing right on the edge of the rules using that army of doctors and nutritionists you describe and those just outright breaking them.

Pretty sure the entire winning Spanish world cup team's bloods are part of a dispute between their drug testing authority, Government and that doctor who doped Lance Armstrong.

It doesn't seem to be quite the same issue as it is in individual sports but the testing is nowhere near as stringent either.

Edit 2 - Re Spain Wada now apparently have the blood, they just can't name whose it is because it was held up in court too long. 

Here is a great article about that and football doping in general - https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/other-soccer/ewan-mackenna-murky-questions-surround-spanish-footballs-golden-era-and-people-might-not-like-the-answers-36943284.html

Absolute choad that's one example which is ten years old from the thousands and thousands and thousands of players who play all over the world, and nobody has even failed a test lol.

As for Scottish football you'll note I did say the top level, which Scottish football is not. That's why they don't have goal-line technology too as they can't afford things like that.