East Region Juniors

ballermk

I know it probably comes down to expense but I think it should be mandatory to have a full set of officials on duty at matches. Seen too many games over the years where linesmen are provided by the two clubs. 

Referees tend to ignore them because their decisions are not always bias-free and they are no help whatsoever regarding offsides. Feel a bit sorry for refs with the stick they get over offsides but don't know what else they can do under the circumstances. 

Clubs seem to have plenty of sponsors to assist with player sponsorship and training gear etc, can they not attract sponsorship to pay for match officials? To me, that's just as important and, in case anybody's wondering, I have put my money where my mouth is in the past.

1 hour ago, Den Spark said:

I know it probably comes down to expense but I think it should be mandatory to have a full set of officials on duty at matches. Seen too many games over the years where linesmen are provided by the two clubs.

Clubs seem to have plenty of sponsors to assist with player sponsorship and training gear etc, can they not attract sponsorship to pay for match officials? To me, that's just as important and, in case anybody's wondering, I have put my money where my mouth is in the past.

Where are you going to get all these extra officials from?

The East Region isn't on the SFA's referee appointments list but I'm going to assume there are a handful of Premiership North games with ARs (where it's difficult to assign them to the "top" matches as it's a single division), and almost none from the Premiership South (where the pyramid rightly takes precedence and even tier 7 only occasionally gets them).

Edited by Ginaro

6 hours ago, Den Spark said:

Referees tend to ignore them because their decisions are not always bias-free and they are no help whatsoever regarding offsides. Feel a bit sorry for refs with the stick they get over offsides but don't know what else they can do under the circumstances. 

At the moment, this is it. A lot of clubs at this level lead a hand to mouth existence.  The money that comes in through the gate pays the £110 that it costs for three officials. No fans, and some clubs simply won't be able to afford linos.

On 16/12/2020 at 12:13, Ginaro said:

Where are you going to get all these extra officials from?

The East Region isn't on the SFA's referee appointments list but I'm going to assume there are a handful of Premiership North games with ARs (where it's difficult to assign them to the "top" matches as it's a single division), and almost none from the Premiership South (where the pyramid rightly takes precedence and even tier 7 only occasionally gets them).

Spoke to a ref on Saturday and asked him whether the problem was finance or lack of officials and he assured me there were plenty of officials sitting at home twiddling their thumbs.

It seems that only Lochee, Broughty and Carnoustie regularly pay for the full set. Perhaps Tayport as well.

26 minutes ago, Den Spark said:

Spoke to a ref on Saturday and asked him whether the problem was finance or lack of officials and he assured me there were plenty of officials sitting at home twiddling their thumbs.

It seems that only Lochee, Broughty and Carnoustie regularly pay for the full set. Perhaps Tayport as well.

Well ok, there's probably officials available with no amateurs etc playing (would they be up to standard though?). But only the clubs you mention will be used to playing with ARs so it's not such a big deal for the rest who presumably wouldn't have budgeted for the extra expense.

It's probably a hard sell to get sponsorship for match officials.
'Hey local company, I know you have had a really tough year but how would you like to sponsor the most hated people on the pitch? Oh and as no one can get into the games, no one will see you company emblazoned anywhere. Oh and our social media isnt that good so you might get a sniff of a mention every home game.'

Broughty beat FWE 5-2 today at Whitton. Easily our best performance of the season so far. Ryan Mccord with an excellent debut for us and Josh Skelly in the goals again with a hat trick.  Shocked at the Carnoustie result. A 5-2 hosing at home from Forfar United. 

Premiership North

Arbroath Victoria 5-0 Lochee Harp
Brechin Victoria 5-2 Blairgowrie
Carnoustie Panmure 2-5 Forfar United
Dundee East Craigie 1-3 Tayport
Dundee Violet P-P Dundee Downfiled
Lochee United 3-1 Dundee North End
Scone Thistle P-P Coupar Angus
Forfar West End 2-5 Broughty Athletic

Premiership South

Bathgate Thistle 1-2 Fauldhouse United
Harthill Royal P-P Bo'ness United Junior
Stoneyburn 3-3 Pumpherston
Syngenta 5-3 West Calder United
Whitburn Juniors P-P Armadale Thistle
Livingston United 3-2 Sauchie Juniors Community

Edited by GNU_Linux

• 2 weeks later...

Stunned and saddened by the news of the sudden death of our former player Ryan Blair.  He was 25. Also played for Lochee Utd and was currently at Downfield. Saw him playing against Broughty in November for Downfield. Blairy was a cracking left-back and a master at getting under the opposition's skin. A cheeky lad. Will be sorely missed by all at our club. Sending love to his family and fiends. RIP.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...