Women playing in men’s leagues

MacGafraidh

I’m not sure there’s a point in either letting or not letting women into the mans game.

Natural ability will probably mean that due to difference in ability, size etc, women won’t breakthrough unless they are truly outstanding. It wouldn’t be the rules that made the difference in the end, they just won’t get a game in general. 

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

I’m not sure there’s a point in either letting or not letting women into the mans game.

Natural ability will probably mean that due to difference in ability, size etc, women won’t breakthrough unless they are truly outstanding. It wouldn’t be the rules that made the difference in the end, they just won’t get a game in general. 

If you're a woman who's good enough to play in the men's game, you could either earn a fortune playing in Milan or LA and head off to world cups and Euros every few years or you could could earn a few extra bob traipsing around central Scotland with Caledonian Braves playing in front of friends and family.

Edited by Gordon EF

18 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

If you're a woman who's good enough to play in the men's game, you could either earn a fortune playing in Milan or LA and head off to world cups and Euros every few years or you could could earn a few extra bob traipsing around central Scotland with Caledonian Braves playing in front of friends and family.

You are right but some I think would like the challenge of playing in the men’s game and the prestige of being one of the ones to make it. 

13 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

You are right but some I think would like the challenge of playing in the men’s game and the prestige of being one of the ones to make it. 

Yeah, I'm sure a few would love to see how they'd get on and prove a few doubters wrong. I'd imagine the vast majority wouldn't fancy it as a career choice. I agree with you though, there's little point in a rule saying women can or can't play at a decent level in the men's game.

Edited by Gordon EF

I don't see this happening. It's the equivalent of getting Lomachenko to fight Joshua. Lomachenko is pound for pound the best fighter on the planet right now, but he isn't a heavyweight. Joshua, Wilder or Fury would turn him into wallpaper paste within a couple of rounds. Let the women play their own game. It's fairer.

Edited by velo army

Guest JTS98

Surely there's a safety consideration?

I'd agree with the poster above who said that for young kids it's fine, and should probably be encouraged. But once puberty kicks in this seems to me like a bad idea. At the level of fit adults playing a competitive contact sport, I struggle to see how it could be done safely.

If it's as simple as the odd parks team wanting to play a woman, then just shut up and get on with it on the quiet like amateur teams do with all kinds of rule bending. Seems an odd thing to actually try to encourage.

On 05/08/2020 at 15:33, Karpaty Lviv said:

I’m not sure why the top level female footballers would want to play in the men’s game. The woman’s game is progressing and has started to see more investment, sponsorship and exposure. Plus, if they’re at the top clubs then there’s far more to play for than being a reserve for Dunfermline. 

Don't know about the specific story mentioned at the start of the thread, but in terms of the wider question I think it would be very harmful to the female game. It would entrench the view that men's football is superior, or 'real' football, and would give the impression that the women's game is kind of lack an add on for those not good enough to play with men.

I think we should be aiming to get to a situation like in tennis where there is no constant comparison between the male and female game. I know men's tennis is still slightly more popular at the moment but they are both well respected, well paid sports with plenty coverage and respected in their own right. I think women's football is growing in that direction.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever