Women playing in men’s leagues

MacGafraidh

No matter how I word this I’ll be called sexist.
Woman can’t play against men’s teams. At younger ages (6-12) it’s perfectly fine, as there both at the same stage of physicality, but as you move up levels men can hit the ball harder, run faster etc...
I will always support the SWNT and RRWFC, but the standard in woman’s football isn’t comparable to men’s football.

Perugia wanted to sign a female player back in 2003 shortly after they put us out of the UEFA Cup.

They did have an owner that meant Giovanni de Stefano wasn’t the most batshit crazy person at Dens for the home leg, to be fair. 

Struggling to understand whats really in it for women tbh.

You look at the top Scottish players, playing for the likes of Man U, Man City and Liverpool.

They come into mens football and won't get anywhere near that level.

Let them have their own sport and help it develop, rather than this patronising "aye its good, but mens football is better so you're pointless until you're playing against us" pish.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Struggling to understand whats really in it for women tbh.

You look at the top Scottish players, playing for the likes of Man U, Man City and Liverpool.

They come into mens football and won't get anywhere near that level.

I think this one instance is basically just to allow the player to continue playing at her local club. I highly doubt this exception is going to have a bunch of top players scrambling to go play Dutch amateur football just so they can compete against men.

18 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

I think this one instance is basically just to allow the player to continue playing at her local club. I highly doubt this exception is going to have a bunch of top players scrambling to go play Dutch amateur football just so they can compete against men.

Correct. It doesn't mean that this can't be a precedent for the longer term, but this decision is mainly out of practical reasons. It's also worth mentioning that the club play in (for Dutch standards) a pretty rural region without many women's clubs around, so she would have been quite limited in choice of clubs if this request was denied.

Edited by Marten

Was it not Kim Little (or another Scotland player) who said that she wouldn't get a game for Montrose?

There have been the odd occasion where men's and women's football have overlapped - Brisbane Roar's youth team played the Australian Women's Team a while ago and absolutely thumped them.

5 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Was it not Kim Little (or another Scotland player) who said that she wouldn't get a game for Montrose?

There have been the odd occasion where men's and women's football have overlapped - Brisbane Roar's youth team played the Australian Women's Team a while ago and absolutely thumped them.

It was 7-0 for Newcastle Jets youth team. 

I’m not sure why the top level female footballers would want to play in the men’s game. The woman’s game is progressing and has started to see more investment, sponsorship and exposure. Plus, if they’re at the top clubs then there’s far more to play for than being a reserve for Dunfermline. 

17 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

I don’t have an issue with it, if they’re good enough then they should be able to compete against men. 

Sadly they aren’t good enough and wouldn’t be signed by any team higher than the Juniors, let’s be honest. If even that.

Surely the Juniors would welcome them with open arms.

After all, they're famously flexible, open minded, forward thinking and inclusive.  In no way are they bound by outdated traditions and prejudices.

33 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

Surely the Juniors would welcome them with open arms.

After all, they're famously flexible, open minded, forward thinking and inclusive.  In no way are they bound by outdated traditions and prejudices.

2 lavvies!!!

Much will that cost?

3 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

When I was a young bean I played against Canada's u17 (I think it was) woman's team and we got beat 3-1 going on about 6. I got nothing out of the game apart from a minter and 2 MSN addresses. 

Pointless story, but one I felt could be shared. 

Edited by Mr. Alli