017 Caledonian Braves owner Chris Ewing on apps, documentaries & moving to France

Hi everyone,

We just wanted to alert you to our podcast and the fact we have Caledonian Braves owner Chris Ewing on this week's show, which is out now. The episode's synopsis is below.

We're on all podcast players including Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Podbean, Acast, Google Podcasts and Pocket Casts.

Thanks for all your support. 

017 Caledonian Braves owner Chris Ewing: building & branding a new club which fans control through an app & heading to France with just £40

Chris Ewing is the brains behind Caledonian Braves, one of the most unique and innovative clubs in Scottish football right now.

He wants to give fans the right to run their club and has even created an app to make it easier for them to call the shots.

A new documentary Brave Calling was released on the STV Player last week and charts their rise.

Initially an academy for French players to come to Scotland to learn football and English, they became the first club to get promoted into the Lowland League.

Now boasting a new home in Strathclyde Park and the Braves new name chosen by their supporters, Chris gives us a fascinating insight into the initial idea and his plans for the future.

He explains why having no fans and no benefactor can be an advantage on a football scene too often hindered by tradition.

Plus we hear how Pollok-born Chris is now a full-blown French national living in Paris after originally heading to the country 16 years ago with just £40 in his back pocket.

The documentary Brave Calling can be found on the STV Player at 
https://player.stv.tv/summary/calbrave-bravecalling/

The Caledonian Braves app is available to download for iPhone and Android users.

If you have any comments we'd love to hear from you. You can email downthedivisions@gmail.com or contact us through Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.  .

Down The Divisions logo design 
Adam Aitken

Intro and outro music Bensound

Episode 17ad.png

Interesting guy and worth a listen. The Edusport Academy stuff sounds great to be fair and has clearly been a success. I can't say I agree with the way he's running a football club and saying "what's the worst that could happen, it goes bust?" wasn't massively reassuring.

On 04/08/2020 at 12:43, Marshmallo said:

Interesting guy and worth a listen. The Edusport Academy stuff sounds great to be fair and has clearly been a success. I can't say I agree with the way he's running a football club and saying "what's the worst that could happen, it goes bust?" wasn't massively reassuring.

I thought was an excellent listen and Edusport has been run very well. He has obviously put so much time and effort into the club and even feels he should do even more.

I don't know if he either he didn't word what he wanted to say well at that point saying they would just start again if things didnt work out but surely you would then have to go to tier 9 of West from 2021-2022 season and not just create a new company / rebrand if things didn't go as planned and club went out of business and folded? If a chairman of one of West Region teams with long histories said that then the supporters would not be happy with that. 

Although I would also advice him to take very little notice of things said on pie and bovril and social media as every team from Celtic, Talbot, Kelty, Darvel to Ardeer have their detractors and folk talk pish about them.

Edited by Shannon