Motherwell v Dundee United

2 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Hastie beats his man but has to check back because he is on the wrong side.

get your inverted wingers to f**k robbo

That's more to do with Hastie being so one footed and utterly shite. Seedorf had a decent game again I thought.

13 minutes ago, ropy said:

Inverted wingers can work but why not switch it for 10 minutes to see if there is any more joy.

In the front 3 that we play you'd think the whole point of the wide players would be to switch every so often and mix it up.
Chris Long missed another sitter. I will never take to him.

I didn't feel like Motherwell created anything of note for the first 85 minutes. Even after that it was just hopeful balls into the box which we coped with quite comfortably. Very pleased with the organisation and energy from United under Mellon and we could have had another couple of goals.. No evidence of the supposed gulf between the Premiership and the Championship which some were predicting.

Robson, Harkes and Pawlett all good again.

14 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

That's more to do with Hastie being so one footed and utterly shite. Seedorf had a decent game again I thought.

In the front 3 that we play you'd think the whole point of the wide players would be to switch every so often and mix it up.
Chris Long missed another sitter. I will never take to him.

If I remember right he didn’t quite take it first time, again

1 hour ago, Shadow Play said:

5A035F2E-68A4-4371-945E-BC0F5A9C41D8.jpeg

"Good game, good game" (it wasn't really).

Pleasantly surprised with United's overall performance, and Micky Mellon made the substitutions at the right times. Pawlett lasting about 80 minutes without an injury along with his full game last week startles me. 

Was looking out for Turnbull and Hastie but wasn't impressed by them, Allan Campbell and Sherwin Seedorf gave United most trouble and I was relieved and puzzled to see them taken off 10-15 minutes from the end.

1 hour ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Pawlett lasting about 80 minutes without an injury along with his full game last week startles me. 

Whisper it, but Pawlett might be turning into a decent player for us. 🤫

Wasn't massively impressed by us first half. The break away that led to Bolton hitting the side netting was the only real chance of note I can remember. We looked a bit more comfortable 2nd half though so that's encouraging. 

Was impressed by Robson, Harkes and even Connolly today. Appere worked his socks off up front but we left him far too isolated for long periods. I thought Sporle had a really positive influence when he came on for us. There's a potentially useful player if Mellon can figure out how best to use him, which Neilson never seemed to manage. Cammy Smith looked pretty determined to contribute when he came on as well. 

3 minutes ago, captainkev said:

Wasn't massively impressed by us first half. The break away that led to Bolton hitting the side netting was the only real chance of note I can remember. We looked a bit more comfortable 2nd half though so that's encouraging. 

Was impressed by Robson, Harkes and even Connolly today. Appere worked his socks off up front but we left him far too isolated for long periods. I thought Sporle had a really positive influence when he came on for us. There's a potentially useful player if Mellon can figure out how best to use him, which Neilson never seemed to manage. Cammy Smith looked pretty determined to contribute when he came on as well. 

Sporle's got the lot in terms of physique, pace and technique but his positional sense and decision making are a nonsense. If Mellon can teach him where he's meant to go and when he could be very useful player. Neilson threw him in a couple of times and then seemed to give up.

5 minutes ago, captainkev said:

I thought Sporle had a really positive influence when he came on for us. There's a potentially useful player if Mellon can figure out how best to use him, which Neilson never seemed to manage. 

He's exactly the kind of player you want to bring on for 20 mins when defending a lead - a player that can play out wide, but with a more defensive mindset than a winger.

But thats not really much playing time.

He's a good option to have available, but I can't ever see him being a first pick.

2 hours ago, welldaft said:

Two games where we have had 60% possession and shots in the high teens.  Yet we have been utter mince.

That was worse today than on Monday night v Ross County where I felt we were unlucky not to come away with something. 

Again a draw probably fair result today, but I am honestly that scunnered at the performance that I almost don’t care. 

This. Wasn't actually that disheartened by the Ross County game. We created chances, we didn't take them, on another night we're walking away with a 2/3-1 win and fairly happy.

Today was a different story, we were absolutely dreadful. We could have played all day and not scored, partly down to a solid Utd defence for which they deserve the plaudits they are getting, but also largely down to our attack looking utterly devoid of ideas and creativity.

Starting from the back, Mugabi isn't a bad defender but please, keep the ball away from him. He's awful with it. I like Grimshaw, you always know what you'll get with him but again, distribution not good. Lamie just isn't a full back for me. He looked solid at CB on Monday and am happy with his addition but from what I've seen, CB is his position. I don't think he provides the athleticism of a full back which Carroll did last season and McGinley looked like he could do on Monday.

Campbell was probably the best of a bad lot in midfield today. Turnbull looked a lot for the ball but with the lack of anything happening in front of him, backwards seemed the only direction he could go. O'Hara was fine in the first half but again, so little happening in front of him, not sure there was a whole lot he could do. 

Then the front three. Hastie is shite. That purple patch he had with us to get his move seems to have been solely based on a young player with confidence a plenty. With that confidence stripped away, it's like we're playing with a man down. I didn't think we could sign a worse wide option than Seedorf but Hastie looks to be that player. Speaking of Seedorf, he was alright actually. Looked to take on his man and when he gets up to full speed he's rapid. Still not convinced by him but promising. Long has pace but he's just not a lone striker. He always wants to go in behind but that's not always an option. Sometimes you need to come deeper for the ball and he doesn't seem able to do that. He also has my least favourite trait in a player, he's fucking ball greedy. There was a moment in the second half, he was about 30 yards out, shoulder to shoulder with a defender, on his weak foot and he decided to shoot. 

Who knows what combo we'll go with up top on Wednesday but I'd get Long and Hastie out. Would go with Watt, Seedorf and probably Hylton. He was decent last season and can't possibly be worse than Hastie.

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Have Motherwell ever actually scored from one of Gallagher's long throws? They seemed pretty ineffective on Monday and again today, probably partly because your best aerial threat is stuck out on the touchline.

Didn’t really use them before

50 minutes ago, captainkev said:

Sporle is your archetypal proper wing back. 

I reckon he would make a much better LW or LM than a fullback though. He does need some serious coaching to nail down a position. 

1 minute ago, ArabianKnight said:

Sporle is your archetypal proper wing back. 

I reckon he would make a much better LW or LM than a fullback though. He does need some serious coaching to nail down a position. 

That run he went on was great but he was a bawhair away from giving the ball away several times. A bit of coaching on when to go, when to stay, when to pass would do him the world of good.