Motherwell v Dundee United

Motherwell look like a team I saw play at Dens for just over a season and a half. Decent enough with the ball, no real striker and missing a load of chances before just going awtayfuck and losing a game they should have comfortably won. 

United improved, a lot, in the second half. They started passing the ball and for a twn/fifteen minute spell were putting Motherwell under relentless pressure both with and without the ball. Fair play to them on gaining 4 points from their first two games but they still look a very poor team. 

I was a bit concerned the first twenty minutes or so but the longer the game went on the better we looked.

I’m surprised how poor Motherwell were.

I’m still concerned about a formation that leaves our sole striker so isolated, it was only when Motherwell started pushing on that we began to play the sort of attacking football we are capable of.

Delighted with four points from the first two games, though Tuesday night will be a real test.

We look like a team of players who have just met before the game with no real game plan.

Points that i can see are:

1. Defensively not marking properly. Allowing players to get into spaces and having chances will always put pressure on the keeper and result in a goal. Reynolds was effectively unmarked at the back post for his goal but there was definetly a Well player their (cant remember who).

2. Lack of Movement. Everytime i see us in the midfield it usually results in us stopping the ball, passing it back or putting the ball into no mans land. No movement or urgency which reqay kills off any potential opportunites.

3. Passing. It has been woeful. So many miss placed passes or crosses that end up giving possession away and putting the pressure back onto us.

4. Lack of goal scoring opportubities. Nearly every chance to score has been terrible. Missing sitters or just not connecting with the ball or running into the opposition means we wont win any game.

Really Robinson need to figure out his starting 11 quickly or risk us being left behind at the bottom of the table. My expectations this seasonnwere to finish above the bottom 2 at the minimum (like with most seasons) but the last 10 or so performances make me worried. It looks like Robinson has just bought a bunch of players with no idea what to do with them and that leads to problems.

In other news. The Europa league 1st round draw is on Monday so we maybe see who will be knocking us out on the 27th.

3 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

How did Turnbull get on? Slightly concerned he's crocked but that might be my fault for expecting him to be on double figures by now.

honestly he wasnt in the game that much. But thats more down to pur "Great" strategy of just lunping balls into the box with 1 or 2 well plays and 5-6 opposition players. He had a good freekick that made the Utd keeper produce a great save.

Edited by Phillips455

Yeah, that was grim. 

Our two full backs are poor on the ball and offered us virtually nothing going forward. Throw in big Bevis who can’t pass a ball 5 yards and it’s no wonder we just started launching hopeful balls forward. 

Shockingly, Long is still humpty as a lone striker- missed another big chance as well.  Hastie spent most of the 1st half on his arse and somehow managed to be worse than he was on Monday. Tony Watt on the left wing? Chuck in Turnbull who looked absolutely burst before we even reached the hour mark and it’s no wonder we didn’t fucking score. 

Two games, no points and no goals. You can’t really argue we deserve anything more than that either. On paper our squad looks decent, in reality we look well short on a number of fronts. 

Two games where we have had 60% possession and shots in the high teens.  Yet we have been utter mince.

That was worse today than on Monday night v Ross County where I felt we were unlucky not to come away with something. 

Again a draw probably fair result today, but I am honestly that scunnered at the performance that I almost don’t care. 

Every season you have a team that is expected to be poor and does well and vice versa. St Johnstone taking 10 games to win last season. Well even this early in the season we look that team. 

It might only be two games but I think we will need to win the Europa Cup this year to qualify for Europe next season and right now I am happy Livi and Hamilton are below us. Big game Wed evening v Livi But not sure we look up for the fight. 

1 win in 10 league games is Hearts form. 

I am away to drink copious amounts of alcohol. And to think United did not have Shankland either.  

Picture was perfect for me on PPV. Like others no audio though. Not really bothered by that tbh - it was fine.

Game was almost a carbon copy of County on Monday. Plenty of the ball, daft goal conceded, could have played all day and not scored.

Smashing save from Carson. We really need to sort out what's going on up front.

I thought big Bev was doing fine until we started giving him the ball to feet...fucking hell.

giphy.gif