St. Johnstone v Aberdeen (The Massey-Ferguson Main Event)

2 hours ago, The Marly said:
7 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:
Not been convinced by performances at all, jury is still out on the new system. But .... results have been OK and it's early days, the result at Ibrox had a lot of caveats. 
Absolutely no idea about injuries but if May was 50/50 on Saturday then you have to imagine he'll be available. Expect Tanser to be out given the way the injury happened.  If McCart is still out we're looking really thin on the left. 
                         Parish
D.Mac  Kerr  Gordon  McCart  Booth
                McCann  Spoony
             MOH    Hendry   May

Issue is if Booth has to cover for McCart, in which case I'd go with a back four and play Craig in the midfield between McCann and Wotherspoon. I expect that Callum will want either or both of Craig or Conway in the starting line-up.
If we lose Booth does that not mean we're down to our emergency left back cover options of Spoony or Craig? You know, the 'worst case scenario' that we were talking about only last week. Squad depth really playing part. 
Can't see us winning this. 1-1 I expect, Stevie May. Ali McCann to give Matty Kennedy a wedgie in the tunnel. 

Wouldn't have Spoony in a middle two.

Being honest I wouldn't either - it's a function of the issue of not having the players to play the 5-2-3. 

Personally I think Wotherspoon is a must play, as is May, McCann and Hendry. Spoony should be wide left. Based on players I think a 5-3-2 or even a 4-3-3 is a better option. 

I'd go;

Parish

Kerr Gordon McCart

McNamara McCann Craig Tanser

MOH Hendry Spoony

McCart back for Rooney. If needs must, we can change the shape quite easily with the players we have available to us on the pitch.

It'll be interesting to see if playing at home changes how we set up. I like the high press and the fact we're trying to play out from the back more - I think it suits the defenders we have and the options we have in midfield.

2 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Being honest I wouldn't either - it's a function of the issue of not having the players to play the 5-2-3. 

Personally I think Wotherspoon is a must play, as is May, McCann and Hendry. Spoony should be wide left. Based on players I think a 5-3-2 or even a 4-3-3 is a better option. 

I'm not sure May should be classed as a must play, tbh. However harsh that sounds.

The new system needs time to develop, you just have to trust CD knows benefits of it over other systems and thats why we're pushing it.

I've seen other folk saying its intended to "stretch" the play, and create 1v1 situations between your attackers and isolated defenders. Dont think we've really seen that happen much yet though?

2 hours ago, starryfish said:

4 strikers (Cosgrove, Anderson, Main, Edmondson) and 3 central defenders (McKenna, Devlin, Considine) out for the Dons.

Mind games, IMO.

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, starryfish said:

4 strikers (Cosgrove, Anderson, Main, Edmondson) and 3 central defenders (McKenna, Devlin, Considine) out for the Dons.

Who ever we put out, it can't be any worse than the scared, under-prepared, half arsed pish we had to put up with against Rangers.

Whoever scores goals for the u-19's, give them a go. 

I do suspect though that he's going to go with some Craig Levein type dovers, with no strikers and 6 midfielders. He'll probably play McGinn as the central point in this nutcase formation.

Presumably Michael Ruth would be next in line?

A highly rated youngster signed from Queens Park. 

I'm sure he won't bag a hat trick then be sold for millions in 12 months.

I'd go with McGinn up front. It's not a position he has played in a while, but he is an intelligent and experienced player and the best finisher we have available. It would be nice to see Ruth get some minutes, but I'm not sure starting him would be sensible. 

3 hours ago, DrewDon said:

I'd go with McGinn up front. It's not a position he has played in a while, but he is an intelligent and experienced player and the best finisher we have available. It would be nice to see Ruth get some minutes, but I'm not sure starting him would be sensible. 

Just looked up Mcginn's stats and hadn't realised how many goals he'd actually scored for us. Obviously remember his 20 goal season but he's averaged double figures per season overall, with one in four. Considering he's been on the wing for the majority of that time (and in korea too) that's quite good. 

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Just looked up Mcginn's stats and hadn't realised how many goals he'd actually scored for us. Obviously remember his 20 goal season but he's averaged double figures per season overall, with one in four. Considering he's been on the wing for the majority of that time (and in korea too) that's quite good. 

Yeah, it's one of the reasons I've never really 'got' the criticism of McGinn that he's "inconsistent" - his output has actually been consistently good given how long he has been here. 

8 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Yeah, it's one of the reasons I've never really 'got' the criticism of McGinn that he's "inconsistent" - his output has actually been consistently good given how long he has been here. 

And if he was any more ‘consistent’ than he already is then there’s not a chance he’d be playing for us either.

17 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Sections of our support would criticise Messi for not passing enough. 

I just looked up McGinn's scoring record at Aberdeen there, and it's an impressive total. 69 goals in 236 league appearances according to wiki.

He's in the top 10 list of Aberdeen league goalscorers since the Second World War. More than McGhee, Strachan, Hewitt, Black, Booth, Shearer, Mackie, Rooney to name just a few.