St. Johnstone v Aberdeen (The Massey-Ferguson Main Event)

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It would've added a touch of class to your club to have done so, at a time when its coming across really, really, badly.

I've no doubt Aberdeen will have done it privately, as the two clubs are apparently close off the pitch (especially since McInnes joined you), but it would've good PR to do so publicly.

Your club like others are just glad it wasn't their own players who got caught out, hoping that all the players get the message, and get football going again with as little fuss as possible.

I reckon there's a fair chance the two clubs have spoken to each other about it. Are you wanting an open letter from Cormack or McInnes to your chairman or manager?

I’d like McInnes to buy me a pint when all of this is over.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Your club like others are just glad it wasn't their own players who got caught out, hoping that all the players get the message, and get football going again with as little fuss as possible.

Probably, although you have to wonder how aware clubs are of these things.

Hopefully gives everyone a kick up the arse to behave themselves, but I doubt it.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It would've added a touch of class to your club to have done so, at a time when its coming across really, really, badly.

I've no doubt Aberdeen will have done it privately, as the two clubs are apparently close off the pitch (especially since McInnes joined you), but it would've good PR to do so publicly.

Cormack already said he’d apologised to the other premiership clubs of which I’m sure St. Johnstone likely got a more strenuous one than others so at this point a further apology to St. Johnstone specifically, whilst not unwelcome would be nothing but performative. Even if they had would it have been received as “a touch of class”? Probably not in my opinion. It would have just been received with a shrug and everyone would have carried on as they have.  A more obvious apology to St. Johnstone for the hassle probably should have been done but to be honest the public demand for it is something I would have only expected of maybe Celtic fans.

30 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yes, but it still required the clubs to agree.

St Johnstone have admitted they refused to fight the decision to rearrange the fixture.

They could easily have done so and dragged the whole thing out/tried to enforce punishments on Aberdeen, as other clubs would've done.

Two scenarios. Do you agree to the game being postponed and rearranged? 

1) Yes. (St Johnstone took this.) 

2) No. We want Aberdeen punished. 

Scenario 2 would quite possibly have seen the Scottish Government go "Fuckthis then, close everything down. There will be no football." 

St Johnstone never done it out the goodness of their heart. They done it because they want the money continuing the season will bring. 

11 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Two scenarios. Do you agree to the game being postponed and rearranged? 

1) Yes. (St Johnstone took this.) 

2) No. We want Aberdeen punished. 

Scenario 2 would quite possibly have seen the Scottish Government go "Fuckthis then, close everything down. There will be no football." 

St Johnstone never done it out the goodness of their heart. They done it because they want the money continuing the season will bring. 

St Johnstone wouldn't have been asked, they would have been told.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

St Johnstone wouldn't have been asked, they would have been told.

That was my initial thought but I assumed Random would have known. 

He'll probably tell me it was tongue in cheek now. :(

3 hours ago, Shaggy Jenkins said:

No one could of foreseen this.......aye right then. Literally everyone with a basic understanding of how this spreads looking at the situation in pubs up there  could of foreseen this.

If that's the case then why did the SG not order pubs to shut last Thursday? What with them having the same miraculous power of predictive foresight as you, they could have easily stopped this outbreak from occurring in the first place by just stopping people from going out altogether last weekend. IIRC though there was in fact very little - if any - evidence that there was an active Covid-19 cluster in the Aberdeen area this time one week ago: far less that it was linked directly to pubs. For anyone choosing to go out, the rolling tally of known cases in the area at that time was in fact around zero. 

So your brand of 20-20 hindsight, armchair epidemiology can be safely filed in the bin then. 

Edited by vikingTON

15 minutes ago, naegoodinthedark said:

We should make postponing this fixture an annual thing, just for the reaction of the Saints fans.

Maybe next year the lads could go on a bender to Dublin and lose their passports?

Like the bender they went on before the Rangers game? 

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

If that's the case then why did the SG not order pubs to shut last Thursday? What with them having the same miraculous power of predictive foresight as you, they could have easily stopped this outbreak from occurring in the first place by just stopping people from going out altogether last weekend. IIRC though there was in fact very little - if any - evidence that there was an active Covid-19 cluster in the Aberdeen area this time one week ago: far less that it was linked directly to pubs. For anyone choosing to go out, the rolling tally of known cases in the area at that time was in fact around zero. 

So your brand of 20-20 hindsight, armchair epidemiology can be safely filed in the bin then. 

Most people I know have been predicting an outbreak surrounding pubs from the moment opening them was announced. 

15 minutes ago, Bose said:

Most people I know have been predicting an outbreak surrounding pubs from the moment opening them was announced. 

Did your Delphic oracle friends specifically forecast an outbreak to happen in Aberdeen on the first weekend in August or are their powers limited to general and therefore completely meaningless gum-bumping?

1 minute ago, virginton said:

Did your Delphic oracle friends specifically forecast an outbreak to happen in Aberdeen on the first weekend in August or are their powers limited to general and therefore completely meaningless gum-bumping?

What they said was that you would have to be thick as f**k not to see that pubs anywhere in the country are high risk situations while the virus still lingers?  Didn’t you see that pubs are high risk? 

7 minutes ago, Bose said:

What they said was that you would have to be thick as f**k not to see that pubs anywhere in the country are high risk situations while the virus still lingers?  Didn’t you see that pubs are high risk? 

If they were such high risk then why did the government let them open in the first place? Why have they been open for months in other countries with similarly low case rates e.g. Czech Republic, Slovakia) with no significant change in their transmission rate? And most importantly, why on earth should professional footballers be held accountable to your friends' back of a fag packet risk assessment on them when any other member of the public - including key workers btw - can waltz into a pub whenever they see fit?

Oh that's right - we're actually dealing with a moralising pish argument here based entirely on hindsight judgment.

Edited by vikingTON

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

I have some sympathy for the players now I know it was just daft young lads like Jonny Hayes and Craig Bryson

And Michael Devlin who's on the management committee of the players' union.

Edited by welshbairn

Guest Bob Mahelp
47 minutes ago, naegoodinthedark said:

We should make postponing this fixture an annual thing, just for the reaction of the Saints fans.

Maybe next year the lads could go on a bender to Dublin and lose their passports?

I'm kinda hoping that the next game against The Fermers the whole team will run out the tunnel pished, snort a few lines of coke as a warm up, then take turns riding a stripper in the centre circle. 

Then ask for a postponement.