St. Johnstone v Aberdeen (The Massey-Ferguson Main Event)

9 hours ago, resk said:

Just had a look on the Twitters there. Honestly never realised what a bunch of drama queens Dons fans are. Wanting players sacked, emailing the club, never going back to Pittodrie etc etc.

Calm down lads eh.

On the flip side, people defending it to the death whether they are happy clappers or folk who are coming away with drivel such as “I went out last weekend, should I be reprimanded by my work!!!”

Eh no pal, you’re not a fucking professional footballer who signed up to these new rules and broke them after the first fucking game 

The players fucked up 

I’m not looking for them to be hung at the Castlegate but a bit of fucking humility wouldn’t go amiss 

Idiots 

5 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

On the flip side, people defending it to the death whether they are happy clappers or folk who are coming away with drivel such as “I went out last weekend, should I be reprimanded by my work!!!”

Eh no pal, you’re not a fucking professional footballer who signed up to these new rules and broke them after the first fucking game 

The players fucked up 

I’m not looking for them to be hung at the Castlegate but a bit of fucking humility wouldn’t go amiss 

Idiots 

Yep, I've always hated folk who get faux offended at players being out after a defeat or whatever.

This is, however, quite different.

1 hour ago, Romeo said:

Desperate stuff. Not one of the Aberdeen lads thinks this is anything other than the right decision. It also might not be the last time this season this happens.

Aye desperate times indeed, finding myself agreeing with Romeo 😲

Aberdeen today, someone else next week/next month etc.....

52 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Putting aside the value judgement about whether they 'should', as players have been out in the pub on Saturday (I don't think they should in this case but I don't expect sack cloth and ashes either) to me it simply comes down to did they observe social distancing?

If not, clear breach, throw the book at them. 

If they did, not a lot the club can (maybe should) do about it.

In either case I would still maintain that the timing shows poor judgement from the players, even if they didn't break any rules. But as someone else commented, footballers are not always known for best judgement. 

Agreed.  That is the key point for me.

1 hour ago, jagfox BLM said:

Shocked and saddened to see a fellow member club being treated shabbily during a pandemic by our governing bodies. No club should be unfairly impacted during this time. I guess Aberdeen will just have to suck it up and get on with it...

They haven't been shabbily treated at all. It's absolutely the fault of the players and club, so there's nothing unfair about it. Aberdeen, and all other Premiership clubs, know that lots has been done to get the season started and that all players and coaching staff have a personal responsibility whilst measures are still in place across society.

The players have absolutely fucked it here, and as their employer Aberdeen have to take responsibility. Everyone knew going in to this season how vital it is that games go ahead and how little room for manoeuvre there is in the schedule. 

There will almost certainly be players at other clubs who have been lucky by not being caught out doing the same thing, but hopefully this will wake them the f**k up. 

Maybe Aberdeen fans can go mewling to their chairman for what to tearfull daub on a pishy bedsheet to get back at the evil and corrupt SPFL?

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

They haven't been shabbily treated at all. It's absolutely the fault of the players and club, so there's nothing unfair about it. Aberdeen, and all other Premiership clubs, know that lots has been done to get the season started and that all players and coaching staff have a personal responsibility whilst measures are still in place across society.

The players have absolutely fucked it here, and as their employer Aberdeen have to take responsibility. Everyone knew going in to this season how vital it is that games go ahead and how little room for manoeuvre there is in the schedule. 

There will almost certainly be players at other clubs who have been lucky by not being caught out doing the same thing, but hopefully this will wake them the f**k up. 

Maybe Aberdeen fans can go mewling to their chairman for what to tearfull daub on a pishy bedsheet to get back at the evil and corrupt SPFL?

I think losing eight players for three matches is punishment enough. 

Aside from literally babysitting them I don't know what else the club can do?

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

The logical extent of this argument though seems to be that players should be barred indefinitely from ever going to a restaurant because the SPFL have a schedule and Sky a TV deal to fulfil, which is a trade-off that I don't think these people actually signed up to even under the tokenistic protocol.

Just now, Merkland Red said:

Agreed, it is.

You'd imagine the club will absolutely hammer them for this to make it clear that this shit won't do.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Strictly speaking it isn't even a punishment but it should be a fairly strong deterrent. That and the unlucky 2 actually contracting covid. 

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

The logical extent of this argument though seems to be that players should be barred indefinitely from ever going to a restaurant because the SPFL have a schedule and Sky a TV deal to fulfil, which is a trade-off that I don't think these people actually signed up to even under the tokenistic protocol.

You know they were in the bar that's been getting all the media attention though? They weren't in a restaurant. There's a huge difference here. 

Zero social distancing zero tracing etc. I'm quite certain they've been made more than aware about what's at stake by the club, multiple times. 

This notion that they should just be able to behave like everyone else in this situation doesn't work either as everyone else in that pub are guilty of putting others at risk. 

Although I appreciate you're not defending them as such and just providing alternative arguement to debate these footballers need to think of bigger picture as now because of their actions football is under the microscope and now with its last chance. Even if there's an unforseen not at fault outbreak at another club in the winter due to pressures there's a good chance the season will be stopped again. 

It was at leasr selfish and stupid more than anything else. It also only cements the opinions of non football fans that footballers are self centred arseholes. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Agreed, it is.

You'd imagine the club will absolutely hammer them for this to make it clear that this shit won't do.

You can tell Cormack is livid on the video he posted.

4 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Strictly speaking it isn't even a punishment but it should be a fairly strong deterrent. That and the unlucky 2 actually contracting covid. 

Hmmm. Not sure I disagree. They've shared a dressing room etc with team mates since this happened and if they've passed a test then they'll get to play. 

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Agreed.

I would also say that I can guarantee that some  players of other clubs were out on Saturday night post match too - we all have young guys signed, some hundreds of miles from home living in a flat and they will be going stir crazy alone.

It is also possible for them to go out (say for a meal or whatever) and be safe and sound.

We dont actually know 100% what happened in this case - perhaps they were daft, perhaps unlucky - but any schadenfreude from other clubs fans is really silly.