St. Johnstone v Aberdeen (The Massey-Ferguson Main Event)

I am so happy that you all had a rubbish evening watching our terrible football, and we still won! Both teams were poor, but we at least have the excuse of having played one game in 5 months and no strikers. 
I dont know about anyone else, but I feel smashing after that. Ive not been having the best of times recently with all thats been going on, but the wee rush you get  when you score a goal, even a scrappy deflected effort like that, is  something I think I  was needing. The first time in five shite months! 
The team had no idea how to  play in that formation, but we never really looked troubled at the back. hoban, Taylor and McCrorie all did fine. Wright and Mcginn did their best with the little service they got first half, and hayes gave his all. Ojo was dreadful and Bryson offered nothing. hernandez anonymous, but I guess a clean sheet is a good thing for him. hedges offered something more direct and reaped the rewards. Would be good to see him  come onto a game soon. 
Looking forward to Sunday and doing it all again! 
Aye but it will only be Aberdeen fans and the opposition fans tuning in for further games. McInnesball is too much for me and many others now.

Fair enough yous had only played 1 game so last night was an exception and it is a good result all things considered.

I can't see Aberdeen fans putting up with another season of dull football though, especially if you's don't have anything to show for it at the end.

59 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Aye but it will only be Aberdeen fans and the opposition fans tuning in for further games. McInnesball is too much for me and many others now.

Fair enough yous had only played 1 game so last night was an exception and it is a good result all things considered.

I can't see Aberdeen fans putting up with another season of dull football though, especially if you's don't have anything to show for it at the end.

oh no! what will we do without *checks notes* St Mirren fans packing out Pittodrie in years to come?! 

Youre pretty much right though, if thats it for the season, then we have to be worried. As it was though, given the circumstances, I am delighted.

oh no! what will we do without *checks notes* St Mirren fans packing out Pittodrie in years to come?! 
Youre pretty much right though, if thats it for the season, then we have to be worried. As it was though, given the circumstances, I am delighted.
I just meant watching these ppv games as a neutral [emoji23].

Our usual 200 fans will be heading up as soon as we are allowed.

Doesn't help when 3 of your strikers are injured.

4 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I just meant watching these ppv games as a neutral emoji23.png.

I get what you meant mate 😉

and it was FOUR strikers who were injured/riddled with the Rona

With everything going on, youd have to be a spoiled b*****d to want anything more than we got last night, so naturally half the support are furious. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
11 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

This is what's getting me though. 

I've checked back the league tables for the last 5 or 6 seasons and.....wowza.....it turns out that we've finished above pretty much every team in the league outside the OF and a couple of times, Motherwell. Whoda thunk it ?

Aside from attending the Pitt o'dreams, I also consider myself a rather accomplished armchair viewer and keep a close eye on the rest of Scottish football. After years of watch hopeless, feckless, turgid dross from the likes of St Mirren, Hibs, St Johnstone etc etc, it seems I've been missing all the great stuff that these teams play.

Maybe it's just back luck that each time these teams are on TV you feel like poking your eyes out. I'm sure this season it will all be much better. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

2 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

This is what's getting me though. 

I've checked back the league tables for the last 5 or 6 seasons and.....wowza.....it turns out that we've finished above pretty much every team in the league outside the OF and a couple of times, Motherwell. Whoda thunk it ?

Aside from attending the Pitt o'dreams, I also consider myself a rather accomplished armchair viewer and keep a close eye on the rest of Scottish football. After years of watch hopeless, feckless, turgid dross from the likes of St Mirren, Hibs, St Johnstone etc etc, it seems I've been missing all the great stuff that these teams play.

Maybe it's just back luck that each time these teams are on TV you feel like poking your eyes out. I'm sure this season it will all be much better. 

Unfortunately I've seen all three mentioned teams play us off the park in that time Bob. 

Winning and playing semi attractive football don't need to be mutually exclusive.

I just meant watching these ppv games as a neutral [emoji23].

I agree with you both, it was both delightful to grind out a win in the circumstances and absolutely turgid pish that I wouldn't pay to watch.

Given the last two weeks, a win was an absolute must to keep the fans onside. On top of that, the clean sheet and general defensive solidity was pleasing.

We lacked a lot of spark going forward again and created next to nothing apart from the goal. It is a concerning trait in both games so far. We should be able to play a different way to just pumping the ball long to a big lump of a striker.

Hopefully now going to kick on and I dearly wish the football improves too.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

Unfortunately I've seen all three mentioned teams play us off the park in that time Bob. 

Winning and playing semi attractive football don't need to be mutually exclusive.

I agree. Every team has good days and bad days. 

The fact remains though that we beat all of them more often than they beat us, and in fact we beat pretty much everybody more than they do. 

The last year hasn't always been great football, but I seriously doubt if the football is much better watching St Johnstone, St Mirren or Hibs. 

5 hours ago, Fifespud said:

Great result for the Dons and I think that’s the best atmosphere I’ve ever heard at the Steading.

Do c***s actually think they're cracking an original or even funny joke with this kind of patter?

Although aware Mr Fifespud is known for being... well a bit of a fucking spud!

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

47 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

I will be interested if we see if we have any effects of the lack of supporters on the intensity of matches. A lot of the early season turgidness can probably be blamed on the lack of a pre-season but if it continues, it may well be because of that. 

I have got no doubt that lack of supporters is an issue - at times the matches have verged on training sessions.

As to the <Fuckin boring McInnes tactics / Aberdeen were shite> zoomers, Hibs were pish v Dundee Utd and got 3 points. We were pish v Motherwell and came away with a point.

In the final league table for these matches it will just show points, not points for artistic merit.

I dont think that we will see many sparkling performances this season, it will be a bit of a grind, at least til we can all get back in and boo our own teams to our hearts content.

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 hour ago, Green Day said:

I have got no doubt that lack of supporters is an issue - at times the matches have verged on training sessions.

As to the <Fuckin boring McInnes tactics / Aberdeen were shite> zoomers, Hibs were pish v Dundee Utd and got 3 points. We were pish v Motherwell and came away with a point.

In the final league table for these matches it will just show points, not points for artistic merit.

I dont think that we will see many sparkling performances this season, it will be a bit of a grind, at least til we can all get back in and boo our own teams to our hearts content.

Have a greeny for saying the same thing that I did, but not managing to mention the Fermers.

18 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Have a greeny for saying the same thing that I did, but not managing to mention the Fermers.

Red Diesel for 3 pence a litre, EU grants to build "farm buildings", cheap labour from Bulgaria, healthy ruddy cheeks and the cheeky fuckers still complain about being pigeonholed?

On 20/08/2020 at 21:55, Merkland Red said:

McCrorie was the best player on the park. Followed by Hoban.

Second half they were both good. First half neither of them looked luke they'd seen a football before. 

On 20/08/2020 at 22:05, wastecoatwilly said:

Playing hoof ball,can't string two passes together,playing players out of position,no strikers, McInnes knows how to win a football match.

Agreed 

Lol

On 20/08/2020 at 22:49, scottorae said:

Ojo was absolutely horrific. McCrorie looked like will be an excellent signing

Agreed 

On 20/08/2020 at 23:08, kingjoey said:

Ojo? Ojo? Seriously? He was absolutely dreadful and no idea how he lasted past half time. He barely gave one pass to a red shirt.

Agreed, but he did look ok after half time. 

On 20/08/2020 at 23:10, Suspect Device said:

We won. That'll do.

I'll forget the rest.

Yes

On 20/08/2020 at 23:23, kingjoey said:

On Ojo, I thought that his performance tonight was exactly the same as against Rangers. But like you I thought that he was playing pretty well before the season was brought to a premature end so that Hearts could be relegated. I still have hopes for him. I thought that Kennedy made a positive difference when he came on at half time, as he was willing and able to run with the ball and retain possession.

Ojo looked like "ex scunthorpe" two games running. Might look "Belgian" soon

15 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Have to disagree. Deano was always willing to take the ball. The problem was he was a lot more wasteful than usual and was caught in the half turn a couple of times.

He played a brilliant (like,  properly skillful and instincive) pass to hayes at one point. Game for cynicism and punting. 

12 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

People will tune uk n because they won't believe that a team with 5 wingers could be so pedestrian 

11 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

I agree with you both, it was both delightful to grind out a win in the circumstances and absolutely turgid pish that I wouldn't pay to watch.

Given the last two weeks, a win was an absolute must to keep the fans onside. On top of that, the clean sheet and general defensive solidity was pleasing.

We lacked a lot of spark going forward again and created next to nothing apart from the goal. It is a concerning trait in both games so far. We should be able to play a different way to just pumping the ball long to a big lump of a striker.

Hopefully now going to kick on and I dearly wish the football improves too.

It can't get worse 

21 hours ago, Green Day said:

:lol:

Guest Bob Mahelp

The football was often horrific, especially first half, but say what you like about McInnes...he knows how to dig out a result. 

There must have been over a dozen games in the last 6 years where we've been in a similar position.....under pressure because of results or performances, players missing, criticism from fans.....and then we've went to Perth or Motherwell or Kilmarnock or Dundee or Edinburgh, and won the game. 

It's not all that sexy, but we're very good at it.