St. Johnstone v Aberdeen (The Massey-Ferguson Main Event)

1 minute ago, virginton said:

If they were such high risk then why did the government let them open in the first place? Why have they been open for months in other countries with similarly low case rates e.g. Czech Republic, Slovakia) with no significant change in their transmission rate? And most importantly, why on earth should professional footballers be held accountable to your friends' back of a fag packet risk assessment on them when any other member of the public - including key workers btw - can waltz into a pub whenever they see fit?

Oh that's right - we're actually dealing with a moralising pish argument here based entirely on hindsight judgment.

If you have no idea why they are high risk and why they have been allowed to open I don’t have time nor the inclination to take you back to the basics of the virus, risk management and the economy. Enjoy your evening. 

While I've got some sympathy for St Johnstone as it's clear they had a game plan and training set up for the Aberdeen game, some of their fans seem to be over egging the pudding a bit. The way the season has started, there are a lot of fixtures fitted into August and they are still playing the same number of games as other teams, the only difference is they have a longer break this week, while others get it in a week's time.

Edited by Ric

While I've got some sympathy for St Johnstone as it's clear they had a game plan and training set up for the Aberdeen game, some of their fans seem to be over egging the pudding a bit. The way the season has started, there are a lot of fixtures fitted into August and they are still playing the same number of games as other teams, the only difference is they have a longer break this week, while others get it in a week's time.

No, St Johnstone are being *punished* here dontcha know.

24 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'm kinda hoping that the next game against The Fermers the whole team will run out the tunnel pished, snort a few lines of coke as a warm up, then take turns riding a stripper in the centre circle. 

Then ask for a postponement. 

I miss my Sunday league days.  

10 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Unlucky?  How about “stupid”, or “ignorant”, or “selfish”?  All would be far more fitting.

These adjectives can also be ascribed to those who fail to condemn the players’ actions

They were all stupid, ignorant and selfish, but also the two were undoubtedly helluva unlucky to catch the virus, and that was my point. Maybe people should also be hoping that the two players who tested positive make a full recovery.

10 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

I think you've wildly missed his point. If 100 people are to do something they're not supposed to do and 8 if them get caught then they're unlucky. Along with being stupid, selfish morons.

Sort of, but I really meant that the two who tested positive were unlucky to catch the virus.

6 hours ago, Bose said:

The statement they released should be enough to get Aberdeen kicked out of the league with no right of appeal.

Not sure what you would have wanted them to say. If they hadn’t said anything they would have been lambasted for that as well.

6 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Not sure what you would have wanted them to say. If they hadn’t said anything they would have been lambasted for that as well.

I was joking. However I’m not sure saying that they couldn’t have foreseen an escalation was that clever if you consider the history of this virus. 

3 hours ago, virginton said:

If that's the case then why did the SG not order pubs to shut last Thursday? What with them having the same miraculous power of predictive foresight as you, they could have easily stopped this outbreak from occurring in the first place by just stopping people from going out altogether last weekend. IIRC though there was in fact very little - if any - evidence that there was an active Covid-19 cluster in the Aberdeen area this time one week ago: far less that it was linked directly to pubs. For anyone choosing to go out, the rolling tally of known cases in the area at that time was in fact around zero. 

So your brand of 20-20 hindsight, armchair epidemiology can be safely filed in the bin then. 

It's not really difficult to understand.

How do you think clusters start? This is an  incredibly virulent and relatively easily transmitted virus when in close proximity to others. It only takes one person to then start a cluster. 

Anyone with half a brain could see that being in a crowded pub during this time has the potential for the virus to be transmitted and your cluster then created.

Employing a modicum of common sense you should realise the dangers of puting yourself into that situation, therefore endangering yourself, others and enabling the virus to spread. Just because the stats don't show it right then an there on any significant nubers the fact is this virus is still very much active and just waiting for the right conditions.

So effectively saying it's ok the government said it was fine is not really a defence IMO.

The gov can only really be reactionary to confirmed outbreaks and try and shut them down quickly. They have to trust that people use their better judgement, see the situation, turnedaround and go home or to another venue where proper social distancing measures were being adhered to therefore minimising the risk and not create an environment where there is an outbreak in the first onstance.

Unfortunately it seem many are incapable or just to bloody selfish to employ the level of critical thinking required. 

But hey you carry on. I would expect nothing more from P&Bs resident contrarian pseudo intellectual.

The whole lockdown was to stop hospitals and the healthcare service from being overwhelmed all at once.  I dont think we are going to stop people getting infected in growing numbers until there is a vaccine especially now that people are getting out and about more. People will also become lax and less careful - its just human nature.  We will probably see a lot more cases affecting footballers as well as the general public.  This is just the start unfortunately.

That's everyone with a social life then!

You don't have to sit in a crowded pub to have a social life you fucking idiot. We're living in different times at the moment. Anyone who says that sitting in a pub in that situation (no social distancing etc) is stupid.

Normalising the idea that your work can punish you for getting ill or just mildly risky behaviour in general is a slippy slope. 
Stupid footballers is always a popular witch hunt in the UK but people need to remember they are just workers like the majority of us. 
Their "work"is a bit different though. Part of their terms and conditions will be to keep themselves fit and able to play football. This will be viewed the same as if they went bungee jumping on their day off.

Their "work"is a bit different though. Part of their terms and conditions will be to keep themselves fit and able to play football. This will be viewed the same as if they went bungee jumping on their day off.
Pish. Footballers get sick sometimes just like you and I do. Bungee jumping Ffs.

No. I'm expecting Aberdeen to acknowledge and thank another club that had a clear reason to slaughter them publicly, yet chose instead to absolve Aberdeen of blame and instead focus attention on the whole nations worth of players rather than just your eight.
We could have slaughtered them publicly and then found ourselves in a similar situation further down the line. Let's not kid ourselves that Saints don't have a y idiots on the playing staff. Footballers are selfish, arrogant and stupid people. Who knew?

Yes, but it still required the clubs to agree.
St Johnstone have admitted they refused to fight the decision to rearrange the fixture.
They could easily have done so and dragged the whole thing out/tried to enforce punishments on Aberdeen, as other clubs would've done.
Thank f**k our club have more dignity than that!