St. Johnstone v Aberdeen (The Massey-Ferguson Main Event)

16 minutes ago, Flash said:

It was 20 years ago. They were docked 15 points by the SFL. The relegation wasn’t automatic, Accies could still have stayed up, although I think they needed to win all 3 of their remaining games as it turned out.

I can't remember the figures but I am sure HAFC got docked the exact number of points to keep a certain club safe. That certain club was above them in league and whose chairman was partly responsible for the punishment.

13 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Hibs players did go to a restaurant in a fairly big group on exactly the same night, they just happened not to catch the rona whilst doing so.

Aberdeen players were not in a bar that was rammed wall to wall with people. No social distancing, no track and tracing etc. 

Using the word restaurant makes it sound like they were out for a wee dinner. They weren't. 

4 minutes ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

Who were the players? 

Doidge, Hallberg, James and Jackson (based on my rudimentary knowledge of what Hibs players look like). Doidge put a picture on his Instagram.

2 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Aberdeen players were not in a bar that was rammed wall to wall with people. No social distancing, no track and tracing etc. 

Using the word restaurant makes it sound like they were out for a wee dinner. They weren't. 

I didn't use the word restaurant about the Aberdeen players, I used it about the Hibs ones. My understanding was that the breach of protocol was down to the Aberdeen players breaking this mystical "bubble" that everyone keeps talking about but nobody has quite defined. If it's the case that they're supposed to be in a total bubble, then going out to any sort of restaurant and bar would be against the protocol, regardless of how busy they were or whatever else. Nobody here appears to know exactly what the rules are.

It is certainly not the responsibility of Aberdeen players to enforce other people to social distance in pubs, or to enforce track and trace in a pub. This is not an attempt to absolve them from any responsibility, but rather an attempt to get to the bottom of exactly what action it was from the players which broke the rules.

At what point are the rules broken? Is it by going into the pub at all? If so, the Hibs players presumably (and probably others up and down the country) committed the same offence by going to a restaurant. Was it because the players themselves didn't socially distance? Again, it would appear the Hibs players were guilty of this too unless the four of them all live together. Was it because the pub was busy and therefore all people in there couldn't socially distance?

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Doidge, Hallberg, James and Jackson (based on my rudimentary knowledge of what Hibs players look like). Doidge put a picture on his Instagram.

I didn't use the word restaurant about the Aberdeen players, I used it about the Hibs ones. My understanding was that the breach of protocol was down to the Aberdeen players breaking this mystical "bubble" that everyone keeps talking about but nobody has quite defined. If it's the case that they're supposed to be in a total bubble, then going out to any sort of restaurant and bar would be against the protocol, regardless of how busy they were or whatever else. Nobody here appears to know exactly what the rules are.

It is certainly not the responsibility of Aberdeen players to enforce other people to social distance in pubs, or to enforce track and trace in a pub. This is not an attempt to absolve them from any responsibility, but rather an attempt to get to the bottom of exactly what action it was from the players which broke the rules.

At what point are the rules broken? Is it by going into the pub at all? If so, the Hibs players presumably (and probably others up and down the country) committed the same offence by going to a restaurant. Was it because the players themselves didn't socially distance? Again, it would appear the Hibs players were guilty of this too unless the four of them all live together. Was it because the pub was busy and therefore all people in there couldn't socially distance?

But some 2nd rate hacks have been tweeting about bubbles. They wouldn't repeat half understood inaccurate rubbish. 

33 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Hibs players did go to a restaurant in a fairly big group on exactly the same night, they just happened not to catch the rona whilst doing so.

Arseholes as well then and could have been us as well as the dandies.

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Yes. Stage 3 rules are you have to keep 2 metres distance. That did not seem to be possible from the photos. 

That's my understanding anyway. The key missing piece in this saga is whether or not there's any evidence of this. I suspect there is, but that might not become public knowledge (ie players admitting it). 

1 hour ago, Doctor said:

Beyond the issue with the St Johnstone Aberdeen game I hope this hammers home what a fucking trash society we live in when opening pubs was in any way considered wothwhile during all this 

There's nothing wrong with opening pubs per se.

However, I think there is an issue with opening pubs when you have the drinking culture that Scotland and the UK as a whole has. And I don't mean that in a Daily Mail-esque "BOOZE BRITAIN" sense; it's about the way in which we visit pubs, where crowds and standing are pretty much the norm.

I don't think there's an obvious solution, though, because as soon as you try to sanitise (no pun intended) pub-going to be more restaurant like (i.e. tables and table-service only) takings will tank.

It would also be an impossible task to implement such a thing in the vast majority of "local boozers".