St. Johnstone v Aberdeen (The Massey-Ferguson Main Event)

But you guys were shitting it as apparently we still had a stronger team available than you, so surely calling it off suits both parties ?
Don't class us all as RandomGuy mate. I haven't been worried about playing your lot since the 83\84 season when we were part-time and you had a fairly decent team.

1 hour ago, JamesM82 said:

I think they need to award a 3-0 to St Johnstone (and presumably Accies and Celtic). If they just let Aberdeen rearrange games to whenever, that sets a dangerous precedent. Players will think it doesn't matter if they have to self-isolate, the game(s) will just be off and played later.

And you think of the shitstorm that would cause in certain areas.

If the players were told they could go out for a beer them there's nothing can be done. They wouldn't know that particular bar was going to be hoaching with covid.
If the players were told they could go out for a beer then the blame moves from the individuals to the club. If that's the case then Aberdeen should be punished severely.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Aberdeen are clearly able to field a team though. Only 8 players are self-isolating. So it's the equivalent of them having 8 players in jail and the rest of them still being available to play, but then an external power choosing to postpone the game. This is not a case of a club being unable to fulfil a fixture. Aberdeen were willing and able to fulfil the fixture.

Don't disagree, and my comment was written before the government called it off. My point was that IF the postponement was due to Aberdeen being unable to complete the fixture (which it looked like it might be at the time of writing) then it comes down to an argument about where responsibility would lie. In some way the gvmt have done Aberdeen a favour in that regard, I expect that the quid pro quo will be the expectation of the government that the team will face some form of sanction. 

There won’t be much of a punishment if any for Aberdeen.  Everyone knows the SPFL/SFA will keep their heads down and hope it goes away. Unless the government really go after them, the Aberdeen will be thrown under the bus.

I'm not saying its a positive, I'm saying is your first post came across as really struggling to find something to worry about. You might as well sit and worry that Callum Hendry breaks his leg or that Ali Mccann moves to Man United. I Not having a go, and like you said this is a football forum so its to be expected. It's just something that as a (fairly casual) st johnstone fan I just wouldn't immediately jump to finding a downside. 

The first post was Kyle’s rather than mine. But regardless, if we were to be ravaged by injuries for the rearranged date, would we be given the same treatment which Aberdeen have received for something which was entirely reckless and self-inflicted? I don’t think we would. The game would probably go ahead. It’s more a statement about the ethics of postponing the game rather than dishing out some form of punishment.

13 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Plenty of players in England (and other countries) tested positive during the season, and indeed plenty of players also broke curfews. Games were called off in some other countries too.

Not 8 boys who were in the same pub though, presumably more.  Hope they finished the night off with a kebab.  

1 minute ago, The Real Saints said:

The first post was Kyle’s rather than mine. I think the fundamental point he’s making is, if we were to be ravaged by injuries for the rearranged date, would we be given the same treatment which Aberdeen have received for something which was entirely reckless and self-inflicted? I don’t think we would. It’s more a statement about the ethics of postponing the game rather than dishing out some form of punishment.

I hadn't really thought of it in those terms but I suppose I'd just see a team having 5 or 6 injuries as being a natural part of a football team and a squad being lessened due to the governments restrictions re: the virus to being a special case hence why I'd not question the game being postponed being a reasonable outcome but us being out of luck with injuries in 6 months should just be a case of "deal with it". 

Also apologies for confusing you and kyle, I got stoned for the first time in a week last night and I woke up still minced 

13 minutes ago, Bose said:

There won’t be much of a punishment if any for Aberdeen.  Everyone knows the SPFL/SFA will keep their heads down and hope it goes away. Unless the government really go after them, the Aberdeen will be thrown under the bus.

Liquidated tae?

9 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

What exactly is this "bubble" that Scottish fitba players are in?

It seems to be an urban myth off of the twitter derived from a requirement to prepare  for matches from home where possible. Unless there are also unpublished rules somewhere. 

It seems far from clear that the letter if the law/protocols was actually breached here. Clearly though the spirit of the agreement is to be extra careful so games can be played. 

As far as i can tell the agreement is between the clubs/authorities and the govt. Presumably players will be tied in by the usual conduct and availability clauses. I can't see any way in which players are directly subject to a restriction on their freedoms apart from the normal social distancing stuff. 

I expect there's a legal minefield to navigate and that's why everything's being requested and agreed rather than imposed.

9 minutes ago, The Marly said:

By going out for a pint these players have put others at risk of infection including the families of other Dons players. If I was their team mate I wouldn't want anything to do with these fuckers

That's crazy. 

Would you be raging because a work colleague went for a pint?