St. Johnstone v Aberdeen (The Massey-Ferguson Main Event)

4 minutes ago, Widge said:

She won't lock it down again, the backlash from fans would see her popularity (which is waining) reduce even further, no ways she risking her power.

She's right to cancel this game and use her authority to do so, but unless there is a number of these incidents, using one isolated case to cancel the season isn't going to happen.

It's times like this I'm glad Liam Craig is still at saints, given he's head of the players union or whatever it's called, he'll have drummed it into saints players to behave, well that along with the threat of Macca's size 10s!

Where to start with this...

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

Is it aye?

Just now, Ric said:

Yeah, that's nonsense.

Did wonder who'd react to my not so obvious attempt at stirring political views into the mix. 😂 

Wasn't expecting it so quickly.

1 minute ago, Widge said:

That's not the issue here, the players are allowed to go out, as are the rest of us. The issue is they've broken government guidelines and flaunted the rules that everyone has to abide by. 

What a c**t you are making of this 

Just now, Widge said:

Did wonder who'd react to my not so obvious attempt at stirring political views into the mix. 😂 

Wasn't expecting it so quickly.

You  can have any views you like. The fact that Sturgeon, Yes and SNP are soaring in the polls is an indisputable fact

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

What a c**t you are making of this 

You  can have any views you like. The fact that Sturgeon, Yes and SNP are soaring in the polls is an indisputable fact

Which just goes to show how stupid and gullible the people of Scotland are. SNP deflect everything to London to cover their murderous response to Covid and how Scotland has performed worse than Wales and Norn Iron.

Either:
Aberdeen should be absolutely hammered for their players breaching protocols (and Aberdeen subsequently hammer the players).
or
The SPFL and/or SFA and/or Scottish Government have serious questions to answer as to why such protocols weren't put in place.
I know we're constantly comparing ourselves to England in terms of football, but let's be honest - they had a military-style operation to get things going again. We just seemed to say "aye, we'll test everyone and wear face masks" (which, ironically, is probably all England actually needed to satisfy Boris...).
It's obviously the latter.

There seems to have been a request, in the spirit of the 'agreement', to cancel/postpone. If there wasnt a protocol in place for this that was agreed between clubs then we're in a bad place.

1 minute ago, Widge said:

> You: * Say something stupid *
> People: "That's stupid"
>  You: "Aha, you all fell for my cleverly crafted ruse"
> People: "No, you just looked stupid saying something stupid"

:rolleyes:

Just now, Junior Pub League said:

Which just goes to show how stupid and gullible the people of Scotland are. SNP deflect everything to London to cover their murderous response to Covid and how Scotland has performed worse than Wales and Norn Iron.

MURDERERS

4 minutes ago, Widge said:

That's not the issue here, the players are allowed to go out, as are the rest of us. The issue is they've broken government guidelines and flaunted the rules that everyone has to abide by. That's not saying other teams players haven't done the same and haven't been caught, but you can punish hypothetically, you can only deal with an actual committed incident. Hence why Aberdeen are getting it tight from every angle. 

It's simple, anyone can go out so long as they obey the guidelines and rules and the places they go to also adhere. Nothing difficult about it, the Aberdeen players have got caught thinking they're above government guidance. 

You’re miles off with pretty much every word of this post. Players have different rules to everyone else that they have to follow and clearly they’ve pretty seriously broken the rules. Sturgeon is absolutely laying into them, and if players from every club were doing this then we’ll have no football to watch

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

There's Nicola Sturgeon also saying 8 players went to a pub on Saturday night, and didn't adhere to social distancing.

You and @Marshmallo will still claim they caught the virus going to the shops and theres no proof they were at a pub.

What is it about this that you don't get? There is no definitive right or wrong about where they contracted coronavirus. The likelihood is they caught it in the boozer but no one can say this with 100% certainty. That is the point behind made.

Before this gets turned into the politics forum, it's clearly obvious the Aberdeen players have been out of order.

I feel for the Perth Saints as they have done nothing wrong.

I wouldn't want to test the waters anymore, I can see it being a 2 strikes and we are out, season postponed ect.

Hopefully this serves as a warning to every player/backroom staff in the league

If we extrapolate from here, if the players were contracting the virus above and beyond all the efforts they had made to remain in "the bubble" then I could see either a temporary or permanent stopping of the league. However as it's through the players breaking the rules then I don't see anything more than Sturgeon going "naw, you've let yourself and others down, don't do it again"

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

What is it about this that you don't get? There is no definitive right or wrong about where they contracted coronavirus. The likelihood is they caught it in the boozer but no one can say this with 100% certainty. That is the point behind made.

yes but if say it was 99.999999999999% within certainty that they did get it at the boozer you would still be on here spouting about the 0.000000000001% chance that they didn't and we'll just never know really. 

Just now, rainbowrising said:

yes but if say it was 99.999999999999% within certainty that they did get it at the boozer you would still be on here spouting about the 0.000000000001% chance that they didn't and we'll just never know really. 

It certainly looks to be more likely than not baby

50 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

Because this isn't an accident (storm damage) or negligence (forgetting to switch on undersoil), this is wilful flouting of the rules under which football is being allowed to operate. Letting it pass without punishment would create a very dangerous precedent.

I didn't say they shouldn't be punished. I'd expect to see large bans and fines for the players. However, awarding a game is not an appropriate punishment here, particularly for a first offence.

50 minutes ago, Dubford don said:

We might get lucky and draw a league of Wales club

That seems unlikely given that the League of Wales hasn't existed for years.

43 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Again, I don't see what people are not getting here. Any punishment would be because the team are not able to field a team, not because some players went out for a pint. The question then becomes why. If the club is at no fault, fair enough, postpone and no futher action. 

If the club can be held at fault (numerous players breaking social distancing guidelines resulting in the team not being able to play, have to admit that's a tough one to call) then it should definitely be 3 points to us. 

A comparable situation might be if a team goes out the night before a game night and gets into a mass brawl, so they're all in the cells and no team can be fielded. Now, should the club be penalised due to the actions of it's players? 

They will almost certainly have a behaviour clause in their contracts. Normally you'd worry about someone being a raging racist on twitter, but at the end of the day they are 'representing the club' when they're in public so to me there is club liability here. 

Also as people have said, it's really hard to see how there can't be seen to be some consequences for the club as they've just driven an truck through the fixture list. 

Aberdeen are clearly able to field a team though. Only 8 players are self-isolating. So it's the equivalent of them having 8 players in jail and the rest of them still being available to play, but then an external power choosing to postpone the game. This is not a case of a club being unable to fulfil a fixture. Aberdeen were willing and able to fulfil the fixture.

33 minutes ago, TonyFerrino said:

How many games was it the Englishers, and other countries for that matter, managed during the pandemic?  Scotland managed one before making a Shereen of it.  Awesome.  

Plenty of players in England (and other countries) tested positive during the season, and indeed plenty of players also broke curfews. Games were called off in some other countries too.

if this was St johnstone with their players being rule breakers, RandomGuy would be on here giving it some shit like "they were just trying to foster a sense of community in the neighbourhood, they were doing good things"

Says the person who appears incapable of typing Northern Ireland.