St. Johnstone v Aberdeen (The Massey-Ferguson Main Event)

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

Why would this specific case of a match being postponed on safety concerns be any different to the numerous previous postponements which can be directly blamed on some tinpot behaviour on behalf of a club or players?

There were several examples of clubs forgetting to turn on undersoil heating, we've had games postponed because the stadiums were unsafe (eg Celtic having bits hanging off the stadium) and we've had a game postponed because Elgin sold too many tickets. All of those are negligence on the part of one of the clubs, but they were all postponed and played at a later date.

Because this isn't an accident (storm damage) or negligence (forgetting to switch on undersoil), this is wilful flouting of the rules under which football is being allowed to operate. Letting it pass without punishment would create a very dangerous precedent.

Why would this specific case of a match being postponed on safety concerns be any different to the numerous previous postponements which can be directly blamed on some tinpot behaviour on behalf of a club or players?
There were several examples of clubs forgetting to turn on undersoil heating, we've had games postponed because the stadiums were unsafe (eg Celtic having bits hanging off the stadium) and we've had a game postponed because Elgin sold too many tickets. All of those are negligence on the part of one of the clubs, but they were all postponed and played at a later date.
Yep, we had a home game v Well postponed and played at a later date because we basically don't maintain our floodlights properly. Probably more "the club's fault" than this situation.

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This isn't actually true really. There are several UEFA midweeks in this year where rearranged games can be played - they just can't be originally scheduled on them. If Aberdeen have a lengthy Europa League run this will be an issue, but they won't so it's not a problem at this stage.

We might get lucky and draw a league of Wales club

It will be interesting to see how this is handled. Though not completely impossible, it's difficult to make an argument that Aberdeen will be able to play the following two games after Saturday.

If they go down the route of standard multiple postponements, all it needs is for a couple more similar cases at other clubs throughout the season and the fixture backlog will be crazy.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yes. 

Congesting our fixture list, allowing Aberdeen the strengthen and putting us a further week behind the rest of the league in terms of match practice is good for St Johnstone. 

We've been shafted because of your moron players.

Against that it removes the possibility of any of your players potentially being infected.

Know which I'd prefer if I was you.

14 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This isn't actually true really. There are several UEFA midweeks in this year where rearranged games can be played - they just can't be originally scheduled on them. If Aberdeen have a lengthy Europa League run this will be an issue, but they won't so it's not a problem at this stage.

I was more alluding to the potential of the Hamilton & Celtic games getting called off as well 

The prospect of 3/4 of our opening fixtures being called off because a pile of our players went to fucking Soul Bar is ridiculous 

No complaints from me if the League comes down hard on us 

The actual wording in these much discussed rules will be very interesting to see 

Edited by Frank Grimes

21 minutes ago, Kyle said:

No doubt this will come back and bite us in the arse in a few months time. The game will be rearranged for a time when we have 4 or 5 important players out injured or something.  

Yeah, global deaths will have increased, more people will have lost their jobs, mental health will be worsened but we *MIGHT* have a couple more footballer players who can't play in a scottish premiership match, fucking tragedy mate, get the hundred gun salute on a football club might lose out on 3 points, truly the most horrifying impact of a world wide economy crushing pandemic.

1 minute ago, Sheep62 said:

Against that it removes the possibility of any of your players potentially being infected.

Know which I'd prefer if I was you.

Well obviously, but ideally your players hadn't gone and got pished in a pub that was flouting rules that are in place to stop a virus that shut down the planet just months ago from spreading.

Just now, Frank Grimes said:

Nor me Frank

I reserve judgement until the facts are fully known but prepared to take any punishment that comes our way if guilt can be laid at the club's door

1 minute ago, Doctor said:

Yeah, global deaths will have increased, more people will have lost their jobs, mental health will be worsened but we *MIGHT* have a couple more footballer players who can't play in a scottish premiership match, fucking tragedy mate, get the hundred gun salute on a football club might lose out on 3 points, truly the most horrifying impact of a world wide economy crushing pandemic.

Yeah, have a go at a frustrated fan rather than the 8 players who have publicly flouted social distancing rules and helped put lives at risk by helping spread the virus.

11 minutes ago, Dandiest Don said:

I cant see the authorities taking action against the club unless it is specifically stated in the rules. They won't want to go down the route of punishing clubs for what players do in their time off. 

Again, I don't see what people are not getting here. Any punishment would be because the team are not able to field a team, not because some players went out for a pint. The question then becomes why. If the club is at no fault, fair enough, postpone and no futher action. 

If the club can be held at fault (numerous players breaking social distancing guidelines resulting in the team not being able to play, have to admit that's a tough one to call) then it should definitely be 3 points to us. 

A comparable situation might be if a team goes out the night before a game night and gets into a mass brawl, so they're all in the cells and no team can be fielded. Now, should the club be penalised due to the actions of it's players? 

They will almost certainly have a behaviour clause in their contracts. Normally you'd worry about someone being a raging racist on twitter, but at the end of the day they are 'representing the club' when they're in public so to me there is club liability here. 

Also as people have said, it's really hard to see how there can't be seen to be some consequences for the club as they've just driven an truck through the fixture list. 

2 minutes ago, Doctor said:

Not sure why you've interpreted frustrations as a fan, within a match thread, as a total disregard for the pandemic.

This is a football forum, mate.

4 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

I was more alluding to the potential of the Hamilton & Celtic games getting called off as well 

The prospect of 3/4 of our opening fixtures being called off because a pile of our players went to fucking Soul Bar is ridiculous 

The actual wording in these much discussed rules will be very interesting to see 

Agreed. Severe lack of judgement on the players' part.  Can't see the dressing room being a happy place following this.

Whilst this is never going to happen, why not specify when the re-arranged game comes around, any Aberdeen player unavailable for this one (i.e your 8 isolating players, plus the suspended Considine) aren't allowed to play. Injuries are a little different, but additionally anyone signed wouldn't be available.

It'd be a nightmare to organise and keep track of, but this outcome would maintain the disadvantage that Aberdeen should suffer as a result, allow the game to be played. As I say it'll never happen, but short of forfeiting the points Aberdeen are coming out of this with an advantage over the opponents that they've forced to cancel on.