St. Johnstone v Aberdeen (The Massey-Ferguson Main Event)

1 minute ago, Dandiest Don said:

I cant see the authorities taking action against the club unless it is specifically stated in the rules. They won't want to go down the route of punishing clubs for what players do in their time off. 

Thats fine if its one or two, but having 8 players breach protocol is obscene.

The Government will put the SPFL under hefty pressure to set an example.

5 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Pretty mortifying 

There is next to no available dates in the football calendar to play rearranged games 

This isn't actually true really. There are several UEFA midweeks in this year where rearranged games can be played - they just can't be originally scheduled on them. If Aberdeen have a lengthy Europa League run this will be an issue, but they won't so it's not a problem at this stage.

Happened a month or so back here when they were finishing the season. FC Zürich had a few players diagnosed. Most of the first team squad had to quarantine and they had to play what was largely a youth team. They lost both games they played under those conditions, I think 4-0 in both cases. As far as I am concerned, the same should have happened here. Either play the game with a much weakened side, or concede a 3-0 walkover. Given the lack of free dates to reschedule fixtures, they cannot do this every time a few players test positive. The season will have to be abandoned again if they do this.

Any word on the Aberdeen games which are also scheduled for the quarantine period? I assume they have at least 1 other match in the next 10 days?

4 minutes ago, betting competition said:

Wonder what team Aberdeen can put out?

Lewis

Hernandez, Taylor, Hoban, Logan

McGinn, Campbell, Hedges, McLennan, Hayes

Edmondson

Subs: Cerny, Wright, Ross, Virtanen, Ruth, Barron, 

No doubt I've missed someone out but that team on paper is still quite strong .

Seems an unbalanced midfield, would maybe start Virtanen at CM  (good reviews at Arbroath) & move McGinn inside to the more advanced CM role. 

Just now, Ross. said:

Happened a month or so back here when they were finishing the season. FC Zürich had a few players diagnosed. Most of the first team squad had to quarantine and they had to play what was largely a youth team. They lost both games they played under those conditions, I think 4-0 in both cases. As far as I am concerned, the same should have happened here. Either play the game with a much weakened side, or concede a 3-0 walkover. Given the lack of free dates to reschedule fixtures, they cannot do this every time a few players test positive. The season will have to be abandoned again if they do this.

Any word on the Aberdeen games which are also scheduled for the quarantine period? I assume they have at least 1 other match in the next 10 days?

I’ve read they have Hamilton and Celtic

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

This isn't actually true really. There are several UEFA midweeks in this year where rearranged games can be played - they just can't be originally scheduled on them. If Aberdeen have a lengthy Europa League run this will be an issue, but they won't so it's not a problem at this stage.

I am assuming they will cancel the other games due to be played during the quarantine period. That would mean rescheduling 2 or 3 games. It might look OK now but if any other side has a few players testing positive, you will quickly run out of time.

3 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Exactly how I feel about it. If we call of every game (and potentially all fixtures within the incubation period)  if clubs have positive tests were going to need to find between 5-15 matches minimum to rearrange. Total shambles. 

If thats the case then its verging on pointless continuing the season. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

Not sure I can even argue against this defaulting to a St Johnstone win to be honest. Don't think it should effect goal difference though, just the points. It's not fair on them to congest their calendar because we've got some morons in the squad.

What an utter embarrassment the players involved are, club needs to fine them to high heavens. Beyond unacceptable for them to be going to a bar at times like this even if it's within the rules, they should be setting an example.

Edited by Captain_Imra7

1 minute ago, Golden Gordon said:

Seems an unbalanced midfield, would maybe start Virtanen at CM  (good reviews at Arbroath) & move McGinn inside to the more advanced CM role. 

I wouldn't worry, you'll have the advantage of having a full strength side when this match is rearranged. 

Next time we have multiple injuries I hope we're allowed to call a game off tbh.

3 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

I think they need to award a 3-0 to St Johnstone (and presumably Accies and Celtic). If they just let Aberdeen rearrange games to whenever, that sets a dangerous precedent. Players will think it doesn't matter if they have to self-isolate, the game(s) will just be off and played later.

Why would this specific case of a match being postponed on safety concerns be any different to the numerous previous postponements which can be directly blamed on some tinpot behaviour on behalf of a club or players?

There were several examples of clubs forgetting to turn on undersoil heating, we've had games postponed because the stadiums were unsafe (eg Celtic having bits hanging off the stadium) and we've had a game postponed because Elgin sold too many tickets. All of those are negligence on the part of one of the clubs, but they were all postponed and played at a later date.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I wouldn't worry, you'll have the advantage of having a full strength side when this match is rearranged. 

Next time we have multiple injuries I hope we're allowed to call a game off tbh.

But you guys were shitting it as apparently we still had a stronger team available than you, so surely calling it off suits both parties ?

This is the first but certainly won’t be the last game to be postponed due to COVID.

Aberdeen’s midweek game against accies surely also in doubt?

1 minute ago, Sheep62 said:

But you guys were shitting it as apparently we still had a stronger team available than you, so surely calling it off suits both parties ?

Yes. 

Congesting our fixture list, allowing Aberdeen the strengthen and putting us a further week behind the rest of the league in terms of match practice is good for St Johnstone. 

We've been shafted because of your moron players.