St. Johnstone v Aberdeen (The Massey-Ferguson Main Event)

6 hours ago, G-MAN said:

Maybe it’s just me overreacting but I really don’t think people are getting it.

I had a close family member pass away in April. I had the choice to travel to the funeral. I didn’t go. So watched their funeral with my Son in a flood of tears, on a laptop, in my living room.

Few months on, I could have met friends or gone to the Pub, but so didn’t as I didn’t want to jeopardise the time I met my parents after their shielding ended.

All personal decisions made during the pandemic, abiding by rules and to protect the health of others.

Selfish, posing, “professional” athletes, who understood protocol to allow the football season to begin were faced with a choice of whether to go out on the piss on Saturday and they said “f**k it”. Doesn’t just jeopardise them, but staff, opponents and the season as a whole.

Sorry if that’s me overreacting.

You're not overreacting as such but you are projecting your own personal circumstances and risk calculation on a bunch of young athletes who probably aren't in contact with shielding parents or any other vulnerable groups much, if at all, once any given season starts. Their collective risk from contracting a virus that was not even disclosed as being spread in the community last weekend was therefore much, much lower than yours which is why they were okay with going out to a restaurant/bar. Literally tens of thousands of people are in a similar position choosing to do the exact same thing every weekend right now. 

We'd also incidentally be setting an extremely dangerous precedent for the rest of society if we determined that an employee's choice of (entirely legal) leisure activity outside of their working hours can suddenly be punished by the club or governing authority. Should all the other employers of people who were advised to self-isolate after going to a pub have a right to sanction them for it?

I'd be really surprised if the SG allows such a mixed message by letting the team travel to Perth for a football game while trying for the first time to convince one large population centre alone to stay in their box and not to travel unnecessarily. That's where I think a line should be drawn underneath the incident.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Theyve already put a statement saying they will, and its the fault of the players so they can't complain.

Compare and contrast to Particks statements over the past 3 months, and your club would currently be posting a massive statement promising that the "Partick Thistle family will be avenged for such a disgraceful act against our club", while your owner PMs 15yo kids to try and get them to put up "f**k the SPFL" signs...

That's because we don't have a fucking Karen as our chairman.

29 minutes ago, jagfox BLM said:

Shocked and saddened to see a fellow member club being treated shabbily during a pandemic by our governing bodies. No club should be unfairly impacted during this time. I guess Aberdeen will just have to suck it up and get on with it...

This  was funnier on twitter last night. 

27 minutes ago, jagfox BLM said:

Shocked and saddened to see a fellow member club being treated shabbily during a pandemic by our governing bodies. No club should be unfairly impacted during this time. I guess Aberdeen will just have to suck it up and get on with it...

🤣🤣

making a right tit of yourself here dude.

Nobody at Aberdeen is complaining about the decision. Rightly the fans are pissed off with the players but nothing else.

Away back to the wee lassie club with the diet ****.

Desperate stuff. Not one of the Aberdeen lads thinks this is anything other than the right decision. It also might not be the last time this season this happens.

2 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Bet365 have St. J at 8/15

Normally I'd be all for smashing the bookies but on Saturday it would give me great pleasure to see a few punters lose.

A great chance for the fringe players to show what they can do. (Probably not much).

Its wild.

As, I think, @Mr Positive, sometimes. keeps saying, your squad is no smaller than ours now.

Your site lists you as having 26 senior players. Take away 9 (8 who are isolating plus Considine, could be higher or lower depending on if injured players are in the 8), that's you lot got 17 fit senior players.

We have 16...

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its wild.

As, I think, @Mr Positive, sometimes. keeps saying, your squad is no smaller than ours now.

Your site lists you as having 26 senior players. Take away 9 (8 who are isolating plus Considine, could be higher or lower depending on if injured players are in the 8), that's you lot got 17 fit senior players.

We have 16...

^^^^ not coping with being heavy favourites.... ;)

I think chances are Aberdeen can still put out a decent starting XI. It won’t be what they planned and it won’t have much depth off the bench but I think it’ll still be a good starting team. Assuming no more positive tests today that is...

7 hours ago, G-MAN said:

Maybe it’s just me overreacting but I really don’t think people are getting it.

I had a close family member pass away in April. I had the choice to travel to the funeral. I didn’t go. So watched their funeral with my Son in a flood of tears, on a laptop, in my living room.

Few months on, I could have met friends or gone to the Pub, but so didn’t as I didn’t want to jeopardise the time I met my parents after their shielding ended.

All personal decisions made during the pandemic, abiding by rules and to protect the health of others.

Selfish, posing, “professional” athletes, who understood protocol to allow the football season to begin were faced with a choice of whether to go out on the piss on Saturday and they said “f**k it”. Doesn’t just jeopardise them, but staff, opponents and the season as a whole.

Sorry if that’s me overreacting.

Odds on that when arranging the night out, someone piped up with 'we're being tested twice a week, so f*ck it'.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its wild.

We have 16...

It's down to quality, not quantity now. Depends on the quality of the players we have in the quantity remaining., 🤔

And being an eternal pessimist, I'd say probably not much.

1 hour ago, jagfox BLM said:

Aberdeen would probably do better with their Covid cases on the park tomorrow than Partick managed with the two squads and managers that you recruited at great expense last season. In fact they might well surpass your entire total of league wins in 2020 (zero, nil, none) while they're at it.

Get back in your stupid, wee seaside league box then.

Michael_Portillo-fill-493x328.png.d1a8375aeb3f2848acc19327c6df6868.png

Edited by vikingTON

7 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

Odds on that when arranging the night out, someone piped up with 'we're being tested twice a week, so f*ck it'.

Putting aside the value judgement about whether they 'should', as players have been out in the pub on Saturday (I don't think they should in this case but I don't expect sack cloth and ashes either) to me it simply comes down to did they observe social distancing?

If not, clear breach, throw the book at them. 

If they did, not a lot the club can (maybe should) do about it.

In either case I would still maintain that the timing shows poor judgement from the players, even if they didn't break any rules. But as someone else commented, footballers are not always known for best judgement. 

59 minutes ago, jagfox BLM said:

Totally agree, made even worse when you see whats being said here