St. Johnstone v Aberdeen (The Massey-Ferguson Main Event)

10 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This is about the worst take going, and you hear it from folk all the time. Are you supposed to lock yourself in the house at night and cancel all your plans because you've had a shit day at work?

Ahh that old chestnut; the "footballers are people too" line. Well here's what footballers are:

• Professional athletes
  • Role models to young children
  • Handsomely paid relative to the national average
  • Judged purely on performance

Backing players for being out in a bar after a defeat is part of the reason Scottish football is stuck in the dark ages. Backing anyone who was in, or responsible for allowing, that absolute clusterfuck in Soul last Saturday is as reprehensible as being part of it.

Hayes at left back. That’s a certainty.

I’d like to see McGeouch or Campbell get a start, assuming we’re going to utilise a midfield.

The third post from this thread called it, assuming Aberdeen won’t have a midfield was very smart.

26 minutes ago, G-MAN said:

They are (supposedly) professional sportsmen FFS Craig. I can’t believe there are people sticking up for them.

I completely agree with anyone who has a dig at players for being out in the piss after 1 game back, where the majority of the team looked off the pace and seriously unfit.

During a pandemic, in a bar with clearly no social distancing AND to top it off breaking agreed protocol that jeopardises the season continuing, f**k me, some of you need to realise the seriousness of this.

:lol:

12 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

Ahh that old chestnut; the "footballers are people too" line. Well here's what footballers are:

• Professional athletes
  • Role models to young children
  • Handsomely paid relative to the national average
  • Judged purely on performance

Backing players for being out in a bar after a defeat is part of the reason Scottish football is stuck in the dark ages. Backing anyone who was in, or responsible for allowing, that absolute clusterfuck in Soul last Saturday is as reprehensible as being part of it.

If you let Sam Cosgrove be your child's role model then I think that's on you. Why on earth would how much they are paid be relevant, and do you think they are the only people in a job who are judged purely on performance?

Your problem appears to be annoyed that you as a football fan don't own your club's players and get to determine what they do in their own free time. It is simply none of your business - the only issue would be if it affected their fitness to play, and even then that is down to the manager to decide, not you.

This is a more general issue which exists beyond this specific pandemic scenario - your post appeared to suggest that the bigger issue was the fact Aberdeen players were out after losing, not that they were out during a pandemic (in a pub which was legally open).

42 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This is about the worst take going, and you hear it from folk all the time. Are you supposed to lock yourself in the house at night and cancel all your plans because you've had a shit day at work?

Depends how seriously you take your career as a professional sportsman TBH.

Bradley Wiggins - cycles almost 100 miles on Christmas Day. You don't stop training because it's Christmas. 

Tiger Woods walks off the last green and straight back to the driving range to practice the shots that he wasn't happy with.

I'm sure you've read plenty other examples. 

People aren't robots but frankly you're paid a lot, and it's a very short career. Don't do stupid stuff, keep a level head. People with far less glamorous jobs manage it. 

ETA : Just saw your comment about this being specific to the pandemic. I agree that the pandemic is a magnifying factor. Also agree that it's up to the club to deal with this one given that the ruling is that the game goes ahead. I would say that were I their manager I would at the very least question the judgement of the players involved as it demonstrates a poor reading of the current situation. But hey, maybe I'm harsh. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

58 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Your problem appears to be annoyed that you as a football fan don't own your club's players and get to determine what they do in their own free time. It is simply none of your business - the only issue would be if it affected their fitness to play, and even then that is down to the manager to decide, not you.

Well, it clearly has done! As result of their actions at least 2 of them have caught a highly contagious disease - there couldn’t be a more open & shut case of a decision they have made affecting their fitness to play. Even the other 6 who don’t seem to have caught it (as far as we know) will miss at least 3 games. Now, I’m no fan fan of cycling, but Team SKY always send in their own dedicated teams of cleaners to their riders’ hotel rooms to minimise the possibility of them catching illnesses like the cold & flu. I couldn’t imagine them being out in a pub in the middle of a pandemic. 

1 hour ago, Junior_Arab said:

Well, it clearly has done! As result of their actions at least 2 of them have caught a highly contagious disease - there couldn’t be a more open & shut case of a decision they have made affecting their fitness to play. Even the other 6 who don’t seem to have caught it (as far as we know) will miss at least 3 games. Now, I’m no fan fan of cycling, but Team SKY always send in their own dedicated teams of cleaners to their riders’ hotel rooms to minimise the possibility of them catching illnesses like the cold & flu. I couldn’t imagine them being out in a pub in the middle of a pandemic. 

But that wasn't the problem the poster has - it wasn't them catching covid which was his issue, it was the fact they dared to go out for a drink after losing a football match.

In terms of Team Sky, I'd probably send my own cleaners in too if I had lots of vials of "asthma medication" lying around all the time which you wouldn't want an unsuspecting hotel maid to find.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41190527

"Judging from my dressing room, we've got loads of players who don't touch it and who are very aware of the need to be at top fitness levels.

"You can't play at the levels that we demand if you are constantly abusing yourself through alcohol.

"There is a time and a place. We are not asking the players to live like monks. They are human beings like everybody else.

"They have a duty to enjoy themselves, but we want to make sure it's more in keeping with their job.

"It (the drinking culture) has changed. There's far better professionalism in the game of football in the last 10-15 years than there was maybe previously.

"The most important part is having that discipline, always being aware in the modern day and age, being at your best athletically, but also being aware of everything round about you when you're out.

Is that right Derek?

Maybe it’s just me overreacting but I really don’t think people are getting it.

I had a close family member pass away in April. I had the choice to travel to the funeral. I didn’t go. So watched their funeral with my Son in a flood of tears, on a laptop, in my living room.

Few months on, I could have met friends or gone to the Pub, but so didn’t as I didn’t want to jeopardise the time I met my parents after their shielding ended.

All personal decisions made during the pandemic, abiding by rules and to protect the health of others.

Selfish, posing, “professional” athletes, who understood protocol to allow the football season to begin were faced with a choice of whether to go out on the piss on Saturday and they said “f**k it”. Doesn’t just jeopardise them, but staff, opponents and the season as a whole.

Sorry if that’s me overreacting.

You're giving the players too much intellectual credit, no way did they consider any risks, their only concern was a cheeky tequila and a night out with the lads lads lads.

Idiots are selfish.

Shocked and saddened to see a fellow member club being treated shabbily during a pandemic by our governing bodies. No club should be unfairly impacted during this time. I guess Aberdeen will just have to suck it up and get on with it...

9 minutes ago, jagfox BLM said:

I guess Aberdeen will just have to suck it up and get on with it...

Theyve already put a statement saying they will, and its the fault of the players so they can't complain.

Compare and contrast to Particks statements over the past 3 months, and your club would currently be posting a massive statement promising that the "Partick Thistle family will be avenged for such a disgraceful act against our club", while your owner PMs 15yo kids to try and get them to put up "f**k the SPFL" signs...

11 minutes ago, jagfox BLM said:

Shocked and saddened to see a fellow member club being treated shabbily during a pandemic by our governing bodies. No club should be unfairly impacted during this time. I guess Aberdeen will just have to suck it up and get on with it...

Of course we will.

Why would we expect anyone to help us here exactly?