St. Johnstone v Aberdeen (The Massey-Ferguson Main Event)

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If its true that 8 Aberdeen players hit the pubs on Saturday night then the club should absolutely be punished.

If its just one fanny who's breached it then they should just get a warning.

Is this true, or just Twitter nonsense?

2 minutes ago, Green Day said:

Is this true, or just Twitter nonsense?

I'd say its just twitter nonsense just now tbh. 

Feel like we will find out who the player, or players, involved are though. 

7 minutes ago, resk said:
8 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:
That's for failing to control your players on the pitch. Whilst they're at their place of work under the club's supervision.
You're talking about the club being held responsible for what they do when they go home from work.

Exactly.

No, the players are responsible for their own conduct, but I would be staggered if there wasn't a catch-all in their contract about improper conduct at any time which might damage the club. 

There's a debate to be had of course about going out to a nightclub, assuming they followed distancing rules etc, being inappropriate. Unless it can be proved that they didn't follow protocols then there may not be a case to answer. That's why I think the club might well impose a sanction on a player(s) and leave it up to the player to challenge it, which would be pretty short-sighted. 

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'd say its just twitter nonsense just now tbh. 

Feel like we will find out who the player, or players, involved are though. 

Sure, but you would have thought that if 8 Don's players were out on the piss Saturday we would already know. There are a fair few sheep fans on here.

I do hope it's just one player that fucked up.

If it's 8 that means they will likely skelp the club which is no use to any of us.

Just now, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Genuine question. If they do cancel the game based on 1 positive test what was the point in beginning the season?

Surely it'll happen again and again in the winter. For years to come? 

Good point.  Would it not be sensible to test both players & staff to ascertain exactly who has contracted coronavirus, whoever tests positive should be sent home to self-isolate & those unaffected remain eligible to play?  Player(s) concerned get fined by the club to reflect additional testing costs.

There was a lot of chat on Monday/Tuesday about Aberdeen players having been in Soul when the pictures of the crowds outside Soul started doing the rounds. Bit given half of Aberdeen claims to have seen first team players out on the piss on Saturday there is a suspicious lack of photos. 

1 minute ago, Green Day said:

Sure, but you would have thought that if 8 Don's players were out on the piss Saturday we would already know. There are a fair few sheep fans on here.

I do hope it's just one player that fucked up.

If it's 8 that means they will likely skelp the club which is no use to any of us.

Yeah there would be pictures all over twitter if that many players were out on Saturday, especially after the performance again Rangers. Imagine the seethe 

10 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

That's for failing to control your players on the pitch. Whilst they're at their place of work under the club's supervision.

You're talking about the club being held responsible for what they do when they go home from work.

Yeah it would be tough on Aberdeen. How do you control young lads when they're not at the workplace?  If it's only one then I think that's fair enough, you put it down to one idiot.  But half the squad is a bit different.

The players must know they have a responsibility here otherwise the playing of matches is in jeopardy.  Could see there being a fair bit of political pressure even upto Scottish government level to send a message out to young folk about the need to follow distancing guidelines etc.  Also a message to other football clubs.

Be interesting to see if Aberdeen get in early and announce club fines to pre-empt any sanctions from the governing body.

1 minute ago, Golden Gordon said:

Good point.  Would it not be sensible to test both players & staff to ascertain exactly who has contracted coronavirus, whoever tests positive should be sent home to self-isolate & those unaffected remain eligible to play?  Player(s) concerned get fined by the club to reflect additional testing costs.

Have a feeling that this may be what happens. I.e. Aberdeen field the squad that they can based on negative tests, game goes ahead, home win and 3 points to Saint Johnstone.

If that's below requirements, game's abandoned, 3 points to Saint Johnstone and a fine for failing to field a team. 

Either way I expect that will be some action against any players found to have broken government guidelines in a very public place given the potential severity of the consequences of their actions for their colleagues and the club (and others).

2 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Missing the point. 

Calling games off for a single positive test could result in realistically double figure postponements as they'll need to postpone all games within the incubation period. During winter it'll be more common.

When are those games going to be played? There isn't room. 

I don't follow you.  My point was that players & staff should be tested prior to Saturday's game to see who tests positive for coronavirus.  This would then allow for those staff/players who have tested positive to self isolate away from the squad & leave those players & staff who are not contagious free to play the game on Saturday.  If anything the point I was making was against the postponement of games & players to be fined for misconduct for endangering the rest of the squad through irresponsible behaviour. 

2 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

I don't follow you.  My point was that players & staff should be tested prior to Saturday's game to see who tests positive for coronavirus.  This would then allow for those staff/players who have tested positive to self isolate away from the squad & leave those players & staff who are not contagious free to play the game on Saturday.  If anything the point I was making was against the postponement of games & players to be fined for misconduct for endangering the rest of the squad through irresponsible behaviour. 

I thought you were being sarcastic and saying aye that's why we should have testing in place. 

Sorry. 

Just now, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

I thought you were being sarcastic and saying aye that's why we should have testing in place. 

Sorry. 

No worries, no need to apologise, no offence taken.  I was pretty much in agreement with you that it would not be rational to postpone games based on one positive test, especially if clubs have the capacity to test players, as it would make football unfeasible.  Save that fight for game day (if it happens)!

7 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

This would then allow for those staff/players who have tested positive to self isolate away from the squad & leave those players & staff who are not contagious free to play the game on Saturday. 

Thats not how it works.

Current government guidelines state that if anyone in your "bubble" tests positive, then you've to self isolate for 14 days even if you've tested negative within that time frame.

I cant see the Scottish Government allowing footballers to be treated differently, especially when theyre clearly interacting with members of the public.

23 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Have a feeling that this may be what happens. I.e. Aberdeen field the squad that they can based on negative tests, game goes ahead, home win and 3 points to Saint Johnstone.

If that's below requirements, game's abandoned, 3 points to Saint Johnstone and a fine for failing to field a team. 

Either way I expect that will be some action against any players found to have broken government guidelines in a very public place given the potential severity of the consequences of their actions for their colleagues and the club (and others).

Might there be some leeway to reschedule, rather than award the 3-0 abandonment? The schedules are tight this year, but part of the pileup is extra European games, and I'm under the impression that leagues are allowed to play postponed matches that coincide with them - but not to schedule them for those dates initially.

Certainly there's more case for awarding an abandonment if players have been shown to have broken the guidelines.

Edited by Aim Here

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Thats not how it works.

Current government guidelines state that if anyone in your "bubble" tests positive, then you've to self isolate for 14 days even if you've tested negative within that time frame.

I cant see the Scottish Government allowing footballers to be treated differently, especially when theyre clearly interacting with members of the public.

Footballers have been treated differently ever since they started training, why would they suddenly be unable to now?

1 minute ago, Aim Here said:

Might there be some leeway to reschedule, rather than award the 3-0 abandonment? The schedules are tight this year, but part of the pileup is extra European games, and I'm under the impression that teams are allowed to play postponed matches that coincide with them - but not to schedule them for those dates initially.

Certainly there's more case for awarding an abandonment if players have been shown to have broken the guidelines.

There is almost zero chance of a club having a game awarded against them. It's simply not going to happen.