St. Johnstone v Aberdeen (The Massey-Ferguson Main Event)

7 hours ago, kingjoey said:

It was almost as if he had a large bet on himself getting sent off. Not that I’m suggesting that he actually did, of course.

It was.  I think in truth he was probably a bit hyped up and desperate to make an impact. Players on the park should have been telling him to calm it down a bit, imagine they probably did.

He's not a natural tackler, and it showed.

Guest Bob Mahelp

I'm not too bothered which team we put out, but I want to see Ferguson pushed 20 yards further forward. 

We're wasting a considerable talent here by having him drifting aimlessly around his own half. 

12 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I'm not too bothered which team we put out, but I want to see Ferguson pushed 20 yards further forward. 

We're wasting a considerable talent here by having him drifting aimlessly around his own half. 

I agree but on the other hand, I'm not 100% sure what his best role is. He's got a number of great qualities but put together I'm not exactly sure where I'd place him in the midfield.

He's not got the creativity to be a no10, but he's better than simply sitting in front of the back 4 breaking things up.

He should really be stepping into the Shinnie mould of winning the ball as high up the pitch as possible and driving us forward from midfield but we don't quite see enough of that either.

He's still young and maturing though so hopefully he evolves into a role that suits him soon.

58 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I agree with you Bob, if McInnes is going to play his usual 4-2-3-1, then the competition for the holding two should be between Ojo/Bryson/Campbell/McGeough.  I take your point @Dons_1988 that Ferguson might not have the creativity to play as a 10, but if he were to play a disruptive role further up the pitch, in the same way that May was used, then he might be able to create more chances via pressing, driving runs & second balls from speculative shots.  Unless McInnes begins to put more emphasis on movement, I worry that we will be overrun by the better teams & fail to create against those who sit back & defend.

Guest Bob Mahelp

It's McInnes's decision to have Ferguson playing so deep. On Saturday he was often playing deeper than Ojo, who is meant to be our holding midfielder.

Although it's no feckin wonder, as virtually every single thing Ojo did led to a Rangers attack.

Ferguson isn't a number 10, but I think in the last 2 years he's looked outstanding as an attacking midfielder. I even think he's closer to Simmie than any player we've had in the last 30 years, and his talent is wasted playing just in front of the back 4. 

45 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

It's McInnes's decision to have Ferguson playing so deep. On Saturday he was often playing deeper than Ojo, who is meant to be our holding midfielder.

Although it's no feckin wonder, as virtually every single thing Ojo did led to a Rangers attack.

Ferguson isn't a number 10, but I think in the last 2 years he's looked outstanding as an attacking midfielder. I even think he's closer to Simmie than any player we've had in the last 30 years, and his talent is wasted playing just in front of the back 4. 

Yes, I remember Ferguson being played further forward against Burnley in particular & thought he was very promising further up the park.  Admittedly we had Shinnie as an option, alongside Hoban/Ball I think, in those deeper midfield roles.  We are currently missing a Shinnie/Flood type, who can run & harry all day.  My fear is that McInnes will attempt to use Feguson in this role, instead of further forward & his attacking attributes will be under-used. 

8 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

With some lockdown restrictions back in place in Aberdeen, does this put Saturday’s game under threat of being postponed?

It should, as no travel in and out if Aberdeen for next 7 days, but it won’t probably as football has its own rules.

11 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

With some lockdown restrictions back in place in Aberdeen, does this put Saturday’s game under threat of being postponed?

Doubt it. 

All members who travel will be tested on Thursday before the game. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

On 04/08/2020 at 10:40, Bob Mahelp said:

Ferguson is only 20 he doesn't read the game the same as shinnie did and he doesn't play the way Christie did.
McInnes knows if Ferguson ran about like a chicken with no heed he would get sent off with miss timed tackles.