Scottish Amateur Cup - SIMULATION

mcruic

As there's probably no amateur football until October, I'm working on a simulation of the Scottish Amateur Cup, including every single team affiliated to an official Scottish Saturday Amateur league - program should be ready some time tomorrow once I finish plugging in strength values for all 700+ teams.

I'll post the results here if anyone is interested.

How would u work the strength values out. Sounds interesting

As there's probably no amateur football until October, I'm working on a simulation of the Scottish Amateur Cup, including every single team affiliated to an official Scottish Saturday Amateur league - program should be ready some time tomorrow once I finish plugging in strength values for all 700+ teams.
I'll post the results here if anyone is interested.

2 hours ago, eyeswideopen15 said:

How would u work the strength values out. Sounds interesting

I've used league points per game for last season for all teams who finished a season (had to use 2018-19 season for Perthshire as 2019-20 results were deleted from their website).
For new teams, they have a random value between the lowest and highest points per game in whichever division they are entering for 2020/21.  There's also a "tier" factor (so there is a handicap added to teams playing in Tier 2 of say, for example, the Caledonian League).  Essentially, this ensures teams in the top of Tier 2 are slightly better than teams at the bottom of Tier 1.

There are also "association handicaps" - each association is given a value based on results from last season's Scottish Cup and the District Cups.  Central has the highest value, followed by Ayrshire and Caledonian, with Perthshire having the lowest of the summer leagues, with Caithness and Inverness & District having the highest of the summer leagues, and Shetland Works having the lowest of the winter leagues..

Eastfield (CSAFL) are thus the top-rated team, with the bottom-rated team being Shetland Banks of the Shetland Works League.

Matches are played using this strength rating, and a random element is added (otherwise, teams with higher ratings would win all the time, and the winner of the competition would always be the same).

699 teams will enter, with 2 prelim rounds in each zone. Round 3 (Last 256) onwards is national.

HIGHLANDS & ISLANDS - 109 (2 prelim rounds to get down to 28)
NORTH - 65 (2 prelim rounds to get down to 32)
NORTH OF TAY - 79 (2 prelim rounds to get down to 36)
EAST - 141 (2 prelim rounds to get down to 60)
WEST - 305 (2 prelim rounds to get down to 100)

Edited by mcruic

28 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Would  bet against Penicuik in the second round, the team wouldn't have got out of Blairhall alive with that result.

What's left of the team has a home tie against Berwick club Highfields United in Round 2.