Sportscene watch

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

It happens quite often at a football match, depending on your position in the crowd a fan can get a better view than a camera. 

Yep 

There were some suggestions that our winner at St J came off Bushiri arm. TV was inconclusive but there was some amateur footage from behind the goal that showed it wasn't.

I guess that once our version of VAR arrives and we have more than the TV angles, that may help?

The problem with all this, of course, is that eye-witnesses are famously unreliable as support for anything.

We all 'see' things we expect or occasionally want to see. It's just how the brain works. We also do not remember things as we actually saw them at the time, but as a version we choose to remember them as. We could probably track down another eye-witness with a good view who didn't think it was handball. We definitely could if we had St Mirren fans with the same view.

So, our Aberdonian correspondant may be sure he saw the ball hit Gallagher's arm, but that doesn't really mean anything at all.

21 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

The problem with all this, of course, is that eye-witnesses are famously unreliable as support for anything.

We all 'see' things we expect or occasionally want to see. It's just how the brain works. We also do not remember things as we actually saw them at the time, but as a version we choose to remember them as. We could probably track down another eye-witness with a good view who didn't think it was handball. We definitely could if we had St Mirren fans with the same view.

So, our Aberdonian correspondant may be sure he saw the ball hit Gallagher's, arm, but that doesn't really mean anything at all.

I doubt there were any St Mirren fans behind the goal in line with the ball hitting Gallagher around the elbow area. You'll just have to agree that when I say that I saw it, I did actually see it.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

I doubt there were any St Mirren fans behind the goal in line with the ball hitting Gallagher around the elbow area. You'll just have to agree that when I say that I saw it, I did actually see it.

I'm not saying you never saw that or that it wasn't a penalty.   

My point was that Sportscene did absolutely nothing to establish it was other than show an extremely misleading angle, which they presented as conclusive proof when it wasn't.

It makes me, even more, sceptical about the kind of thing we'll be expected to swallow from Var.

1 hour ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

I'm not saying you never saw that or that it wasn't a penalty.   

My point was that Sportscene did absolutely nothing to establish it was other than show an extremely misleading angle, which they presented as conclusive proof when it wasn't.

It makes me, even more, sceptical about the kind of thing we'll be expected to swallow from Var.

Didn’t want the VAR system, still don’t want it, but no turning back now. The genie is out of the bottle. (It was a penalty because I saw it)

1 hour ago, Swami said:

Livi-Hibs looked like an excellent game, Motherwell-Aberdeen was cracking and full of chances, so obviously Rangers steamrollering St Johnstone was on first. 

It was also the commentary game on Radio Scotland, despite being the least interesting by far.

2 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

Richard Tait scores a beauty and does a knee slide celebration in front of an old man with a hat and sunglasses who is sitting down sipping his drink out a straw absolutely hating life. Paisley ladies and gentlemen.

It certainly was not Oaksoft. He never goes to see St Mirren play. 

2 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

Richard Tait scores a beauty and does a knee slide celebration in front of an old man with a hat and sunglasses who is sitting down sipping his drink out a straw absolutely hating life. Paisley ladies and gentlemen.

Probably an Old Firm infiltrator trying to get in early to avoid detection. 

Seems like it’s the opening two matches on Sportscene that now get the full screen graphic treatment. It annoys me more than it should but it’s just very shoddy, it’s a real struggle to read the scrolling team lines when they are appearing on screen for seconds at a time.

Livi-Hibs looked like an excellent game, Motherwell-Aberdeen was cracking and full of chances, so obviously Rangers steamrollering St Johnstone was on first. 
There's genuinely no justification for it. Didn't have the most goals, no 'narrative', wasn't the most exciting. It's another thing that makes Scottish football seem like the other 10 teams in the league are footnotes.
Seems like it’s the opening two matches on Sportscene that now get the full screen graphic treatment. It annoys me more than it should but it’s just very shoddy, it’s a real struggle to read the scrolling team lines when they are appearing on screen for seconds at a time.
It's also a highlights show so there are obviously gonna constantly be things happening, therefore you don't get the opportunity to read the teams. Or you do read them/get distracted and miss one of the highlights. It's a really stupid decision.

I notice that Rangers v St Johnstone and St Mirren v Ross County had 18-yard cameras yesterday, which suggests these were being used as VAR test events.

But more relevant for this thread is that it suggests the extra angles for VAR will be used for Sportscene as well. 

1 hour ago, The Master said:

I notice that Rangers v St Johnstone and St Mirren v Ross County had 18-yard cameras yesterday, which suggests these were being used as VAR test events.

But more relevant for this thread is that it suggests the extra angles for VAR will be used for Sportscene as well. 

Goes to show they pick the order of games regardless of what happens.

Rangers on 1st yesterday so Celtic today.  It would be more logical for Rangers game to be on last to try and attract more viewers until the end of the show.