Sportscene watch

10 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah VAR is pretty much the topic of conversation in Football forums too though. Our match thread didn't mention Stephen Kelly's goal till Hooch made a post about it, all the talk was about shite VAR decisions, how long VAR takes, fans not knowing WTF is going on when VAR is making checks and the pitch official stands there with his finger in his ear. The fans in the ground were even shouting for a VAR hand ball decision every time the ball went into the box, it is taking over football games.

The Livi v Aberdeen game was the same with 3 VAR penalty awards. Pre match now we're going into games wondering who will benefit the most from the thing hand ball wise, or red cards getting awarded. See even now the thing is the topic of conversation, can't get away from it.:thumbsdown

Also maybe worth mentioning that 'Trial by Sportscene' was a regular thing way before VAR. 

Edited by paranoid android

5 hours ago, paranoid android said:

Also maybe worth mentioning that 'Trial by Sportscene' was a regular thing way before VAR. 

Sure, and I'm not demanding there be no mention at all of refereeing decisions. I just feel the balance has been well off recently and it's all they're doing for some matches.

To use the Hearts - Livi game from Saturday as my example here:

Two key tactical decisions, one by either manager, could've been highlighted. Martindale's switch to a 4-2-3-1 second half to get Omeonga man marking Snodgrass, which neutered Hearts' build up. Or Neilson later bringing on Forrest which pepped up Hearts' attack, Forrest being the source of all their chances including the equaliser. There were also interesting individual performances from Nouble and Ginelly, among others, which could've been highlighted.

Instead we just got "analysis" of insignificant referee decisions. Capitalising on VAR hubbub (which is of the media's own creation anyway) to not have to properly bother with looking at diddy team matches.

17 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah VAR is pretty much the topic of conversation in Football forums too though. Our match thread didn't mention Stephen Kelly's goal till Hooch made a post about it, all the talk was about shite VAR decisions, how long VAR takes, fans not knowing WTF is going on when VAR is making checks and the pitch official stands there with his finger in his ear. The fans in the ground were even shouting for a VAR hand ball decision every time the ball went into the box, it is taking over football games.

The Livi v Aberdeen game was the same with 3 VAR penalty awards. Pre match now we're going into games wondering who will benefit the most from the thing hand ball wise, or red cards getting awarded. See even now the thing is the topic of conversation, can't get away from it.:thumbsdown

Aye, and the Hearts V Livi match thread is still going now with folk debating the referee decisions. I'd say a couple of things to that, though. Firstly, Sportscene choosing to highlight referee decisions often creates a debate where none had existed prior. Then secondly, we're amateurs on a forum. I expect more football insight from paid experts on our TV screens. 

Watched a bit of the various rugby games yesterday. The pundits and commentators all knew the laws/rules and were able to explain exactly why decisions were made. That's the actual, genuine, real laws/rules, not the players made up ones. Couldn't help but think of the difference to what is served up in the football world. Employing people that know what they're talking about will never catch on.

• 1 month later...
On 20/11/2022 at 16:08, Charles Stiles said:

Watched a bit of the various rugby games yesterday. The pundits and commentators all knew the laws/rules and were able to explain exactly why decisions were made. That's the actual, genuine, real laws/rules, not the players made up ones. Couldn't help but think of the difference to what is served up in the football world. Employing people that know what they're talking about will never catch on.

It's not just the laws of the game. Andy Walkern on Sky could watch someone being cut in half with a chainsaw and say "I don't see much in that" and that the ref got it wrong.

Incompetents that are employed because they can sit and talk and talk and talk. Total shite yes but that ticks the Sky box. 

36 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

It's not just the laws of the game. Andy Walkern on Sky could watch someone being cut in half with a chainsaw and say "I don't see much in that" and that the ref got it wrong.

Incompetents that are employed because they can sit and talk and talk and talk. Total shite yes but that ticks the Sky box. 

Absolutely correct.

A player could be sent off for booting somebody up the arse then sticking the head in them and Walker would say, "I don't see why he was sent off".

A fucking balloon of the highest order.

8 hours ago, Darren said:

Routine home win for Rangers as the top game, sound not synced in interviews. Amateur hour.

And a routine win for Celtic that was on live TV two hours earlier the second game.

Saints v Hearts highlights pathetic as well. That was a great game with lots of incident and chances and talking points and it was reduced to basically the goals and a couple of other chances and that was it. Saints hit the bar in the first half in bizarre circumstances, I think Hearts hit the post early on as well - neither in there. May had three good chances in that late flurry in the first half, only one shown. Much more besides but all cut out to make way for more tedious Celtic and Rangers chat, just in case anyone missed it on Sportsound.

19 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

And a routine win for Celtic that was on live TV two hours earlier the second game.

At least there was a narrative around that match, with Celtic "dropping points" there a lot recently.

I'm assuming the coverage was decided beforehand, with a quick turnaround after the matches.

But unless it was for technical reasons, Rangers v Motherwell was a baffling choice.

4 hours ago, Darren said:

At least there was a narrative around that match, with Celtic "dropping points" there a lot recently.

I'm assuming the coverage was decided beforehand, with a quick turnaround after the matches.

But unless it was for technical reasons, Rangers v Motherwell was a baffling choice.

The coverage for the entire season will always be the Celtic and Sevco games being first and second, with the only exception being when they play each other and the highlights and chatter take over at least half of the show.

Unless they aren't playing on the same day that is.

Edited by DA Baracus

So, quite smart in theory having Neil McCann and Shaun Maloney as pundits this weekend - both have history with the clubs in the 2 big matches. However... As I mentioned on the Sportsound thread, Maloney was clearly uncomfortable commenting on Hibs because of his recent association, and that he knows many of the players and was unwilling to put the boot in. Indeed it must be very hard to see almost the same group of players performing at a comparable level of incompetence to when he was coaching.

John Collins, although he's a smug, entitled pr!ck would have been a much better shout if the Hibs/Celtic, Hearts/Rangers balance needed keeping.

1 hour ago, Stylish Kid said:

So, quite smart in theory having Neil McCann and Shaun Maloney as pundits this weekend - both have history with the clubs in the 2 big matches. However... As I mentioned on the Sportsound thread, Maloney was clearly uncomfortable commenting on Hibs because of his recent association, and that he knows many of the players and was unwilling to put the boot in. Indeed it must be very hard to see almost the same group of players performing at a comparable level of incompetence to when he was coaching.

John Collins, although he's a smug, entitled pr!ck would have been a much better shout if the Hibs/Celtic, Hearts/Rangers balance needed keeping.

Collins was too busy on the radio claiming Hibs were the better side 🤔