Sportscene watch

Dunno what Miller was gibbering on about Nouble buying us fouls, naw Kenny, he was just getting fouled all the time, that's why they kept getting cards for fouling him.

Holt buys fouls, getting his body in to be bumped over, Pittman did it yesterday too, Marvin Bartley was an expert at it, but Nouble, he tries to take the ball and go, then gets fouled, there's nae buying them involved.

I was watching this last night, I noticed Jordan White retrieving the ball from the back of the Hearts goal.  This often results in a confrontation.  Surely the attacker should always be punished as it is the defending team who should have possession of the ball.  Has there ever been any analysis suggesting that an attacker running back with the ball speeds the game up?

(There was no real confrontation in this incident it just reminded me of a pet hate).

9 minutes ago, ropy said:

I was watching this last night, I noticed Jordan White retrieving the ball from the back of the Hearts goal.  This often results in a confrontation.  Surely the attacker should always be punished as it is the defending team who should have possession of the ball.  Has there ever been any analysis suggesting that an attacker running back with the ball speeds the game up?

(There was no real confrontation in this incident it just reminded me of a pet hate).

Don't see any issue with it, stops any inevitable time wasting from the defending team if you're chasing a game.

25 minutes ago, Empty It said:

Don't see any issue with it, stops any inevitable time wasting from the defending team if you're chasing a game.

Scrapping in the back of the net then the referee breaking things up then speaking to the offenders then booking probably two of them seldom speeds things up.

48 minutes ago, ropy said:

Plukey Gordon has history of trying to grab the ball then falling to the ground if a player tries to get the ball.  Hes done it his whole career. 

1 hour ago, Hoose Rice said:

Plukey Gordon has history of trying to grab the ball then falling to the ground if a player tries to get the ball.  Hes done it his whole career. 

Are you talking about when Dean Shiels decided to rugby tackle him to get the ball which was still in the net?

2 hours ago, ropy said:

Always think this is a daft thing to do.

Fair enough if the ball bounces out of the goal, pick it up and run it back to the centre circle if you want.

But by engaging with the opposition you just open the door to them manufacturing a wee scuffle to waste time and there's always the chance of getting a card.

The ref's going to restart the game anyway.

It almost certainly makes absolutely no fucking difference anyway.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

Scrapping in the back of the net then the referee breaking things up then speaking to the offenders then booking probably two of them seldom speeds things up.

It's the actions of the defenders that is causing the game to be delayed here though. I agree with the above poster that it is probably not particularly useful to fetch the ball out of the net, but I don't think you can reasonably punish a player for retrieving the ball from the net and trying to take it towards the centre circle.

A lot of it is performative anyway, isn’t it? 

If you’re 2-0 down and score fans and manager don’t want you running off celebrating, there’s an optic that comes with grabbing the ball and heading for the centre circle.

Im not sure time saving is the primary motivation. 

2 hours ago, Empty It said:

Are you talking about when Dean Shiels decided to rugby tackle him to get the ball which was still in the net?

Nowt specific.  Done throughout his career.  Done the same for Celtc at your dump. 

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

A lot of it is performative anyway, isn’t it? 

If you’re 2-0 down and score fans and manager don’t want you running off celebrating, there’s an optic that comes with grabbing the ball and heading for the centre circle.

Im not sure time saving is the primary motivation. 

It's entirely performative for both parties and its yet another thing that bugs me.

12 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Liam McLeod said in the first half that if it hits the referee it's a drop ball. Good to know that you don't actually need to keep up to date with the laws to get a job with the BBC. 

What was the purpose of the rule change anyway? It used to be deemed that referee was part of the game, if the ball accidentally hit him you just had to suck it up and play on, it would be one of these things that all teams benefitted/suffered due to at some point. Seemed fair enough to me even if a bit infuriating when your team on the wrong side of it.

Liam McLeod said in the first half that if it hits the referee it's a drop ball. Good to know that you don't actually need to keep up to date with the laws to get a job with the BBC. 

It is a drop ball, it's just an uncontested one.