Sportscene watch

Did I hear Caldwell right. Did he say, when talking about United being denied a penalty that Kevin Clancy  would be glad that he was unsighted. What does that mean. Is Clancy a Celtic fan. More likely it confirms what many of us believe that referees do not want to give game changing decisions against the Old Firm.  

46 minutes ago, neildrake said:

Did I hear Caldwell right. Did he say, when talking about United being denied a penalty that Kevin Clancy  would be glad that he was unsighted. What does that mean. Is Clancy a Celtic fan. More likely it confirms what many of us believe that referees do not want to give game changing decisions against the Old Firm.  

Cant be arsed watching it back but I presume hes alluding to the foul on Starfelt which plays the ball the in.

I took it as he would have had some explaining to do if he had a clear view and didn't give it.
He was unsighted though so he had a fair reason not to award it.
Both assistants might have helped out.

2 hours ago, neildrake said:

not seen the incident, but it sounds like you're well entrenched in this ''old firm'' bias guff, i would have a guess the ref's decision would get hammered from someone if he had a clear view.

5 hours ago, Meldrew said:

not seen the incident, but it sounds like you're well entrenched in this ''old firm'' bias guff, i would have a guess the ref's decision would get hammered from someone if he had a clear view.

It’s nauseating on here at times. I started posting on here to get away from the para guff you get on Celtic forums but it’s often just as bad tbh

Edited by gannonball

13 minutes ago, gannonball said:

It’s nauseating on here at times. I started posting on here to get away from the para guff you get on Celtic forums but it’s often just as bad tbh

all one team forums are brutal, but this place is something else, the weird superiority of most because they watch the shite closest to their house is hilarious, and the way they tie themselves in knots while convincing no c**t they enjoy a cup final run, more than if they won all the time

Edited by Meldrew

9 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

all one team forums are brutal, but this place is something else, the weird superiority of most because they watch the shite closest to their house is hilarious, and the way they tie themselves in knots while convincing no c**t they enjoy a cup final run, more than if they won all the time

:lol: you definitely find it hilarious 

10 hours ago, neildrake said:

If Clancy was unsighted, that is pretty poor positioning from him. The fact that he didn't even consult the linesman only compounds the poor refereeing. Given the penalties awarded for Hibs in recent days, it really does highlight the poor refereeing standards we have in Scotland. 

A referee can't possibly always be in a position to see every single incident in a fast paced game, there's always going to be a chance of players moving across his line and so on. And his assistant is something like 40 yards away from the incident and will also have players in his way.

Don't get me wrong, Clancy isn't a good referee, but that feels like a very harsh criticism.

13 hours ago, craigkillie said:

A referee can't possibly always be in a position to see every single incident in a fast paced game, there's always going to be a chance of players moving across his line and so on. And his assistant is something like 40 yards away from the incident and will also have players in his way.

Isn't there then an argument for either the officials behind the goal or VAR which nearly every other decent-sized top league has?

Yes, I'm still bitter.

10 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

Isn't there then an argument for either the officials behind the goal or VAR which nearly every other decent-sized top league has?

Yes, I'm still bitter.

It's quickly becoming a no brainer to be honest. Now that VAR seems a bit more settled (and let's face it we are all used to it on tv) it feels like the only thing holding it back in Scotland is cost and tradition.

While Clancy was clearly wrong at the weekend, he gets one view of it in real time, whereas probably the majority of the stadium would be able to see some form of replay before the game is out.

While some refs are better than others, having VAR would help them and also clear up any obvious errors.

While you probably cannot have it in all divisions, certainly should be easy enough to roll out in top flight. 

14 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Don't get me wrong, Clancy isn't a good referee, but that feels like a very harsh criticism.

Only seen the incident once but am still of the opinion that if Clancy was unsighted, it was poor positioning on his part. We can both agree that he is a dreadful referee on a par with John Beaton and Bobby Madden. 

15 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

It's quickly becoming a no brainer to be honest. Now that VAR seems a bit more settled (and let's face it we are all used to it on tv) it feels like the only thing holding it back in Scotland is cost and tradition.

80%+ of games aren't on TV so who cares about what TV audiences expeect.

VAR is pish and I only like it in games where i am watching as a neutral for the heads gone aspect of late/reversed decisions.

Sitting in Fir Park, or indeed any stadium in Scotland and having Bobby Madden talk Willie Collum through replays for five minutes isn't filling me with hope that they will get a decision right.

I think you underestimate the cost. There aren't enough angles either for most decisions. Almost no Scottish stadium is regularly equipped with camera set up for most offside decisions. How many broadcast cameras were at Fir Park for the Ross County game?

Spoiler

Four

You would need at least double that for any sort of reliable VAR. And that means more cameras, most camera operators, more technicians, more referees. It would supposedly cost each club £100K per year. Obviously the OF would have fewer extra costs because Ibrox and Celtic Park are currently using more cameras than other Scottish grounds.

Of the two teams that could afford VAR, one would probably ban it from the stadium as they could not guarantee its safety should a decision go against them.

The other would not want it because if diddy teams start getting decisions that were fair, it would go against their narrative of highlighting the one decision in twenty that goes against them, thus "proving" how they have been persecuted as a club in Scotland since 1888 and that they only have 51 League Championships, 40 Scottish Cups and 19 League Cups as evidence of this. 😉

I'd be happy if we just got goal line tech in Scotland, so accurate there is no arguing about decisions, it goes straight to the ref's watch telling him if the ball fully crosses the line. There are a lot of incidents where we either just don't know, or are pretty certain the ref got it wrong, ridiculous we don't have this by now, to clear up any doubt of whether the ball crosses the line and is a goal. 

19 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

I'd be happy if we just got goal line tech in Scotland, so accurate there is no arguing about decisions, it goes straight to the ref's watch telling him if the ball fully crosses the line. There are a lot of incidents where we either just don't know, or are pretty certain the ref got it wrong, ridiculous we don't have this by now, to clear up any doubt of whether the ball crosses the line and is a goal. 

Would have cleared up about 8 decisions in our games against Livi last season!

1 hour ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

80%+ of games aren't on TV so who cares about what TV audiences expeect.

VAR is pish and I only like it in games where i am watching as a neutral for the heads gone aspect of late/reversed decisions.

Sitting in Fir Park, or indeed any stadium in Scotland and having Bobby Madden talk Willie Collum through replays for five minutes isn't filling me with hope that they will get a decision right.

I think you underestimate the cost. There aren't enough angles either for most decisions. Almost no Scottish stadium is regularly equipped with camera set up for most offside decisions. How many broadcast cameras were at Fir Park for the Ross County game?

Reveal hidden contents

Four

You would need at least double that for any sort of reliable VAR. And that means more cameras, most camera operators, more technicians, more referees. It would supposedly cost each club £100K per year. Obviously the OF would have fewer extra costs because Ibrox and Celtic Park are currently using more cameras than other Scottish grounds.

In England, the cost of the cameras and pretty much everything else associated with the broadcasting of games is taken on by the broadcasters. 

On a normal Saturday, Sky and BT cover their own live games, the BBC are responsible for two of the 3pm kick-offs and Sky the rest. The number and position of cameras is a contractual obligation. 

Also, Celtic Park and Ibrox don’t have that many cameras for a non-televised home game. It’s usually no more than 5 - same as the Alba game. 

13 minutes ago, The Master said:

In England, the cost of the cameras and pretty much everything else associated with the broadcasting of games is taken on by the broadcasters. 

On a normal Saturday, Sky and BT cover their own live games, the BBC are responsible for two of the 3pm kick-offs and Sky the rest. The number and position of cameras is a contractual obligation. 

Also, Celtic Park and Ibrox don’t have that many cameras for a non-televised home game. It’s usually no more than 5 - same as the Alba game. 

If you want more cameras though you are going to have to pay for it one way or another.

The quoted cost from the people who looked into it was over £1m a season for it to work. Or around £4500 per game. I am just explaining where those costs come from.

Why are the BBC only responsible for 2 of the Saturday 3pm kick offs? Seems like it is another perk for the OF since i imagine there games get the better cameras and production. There are certainly more than 4 broadcast cameras at Ibrox when I was forced to watch a Rangers Tv stream of the Motherwell game.