Sportscene watch

1 hour ago, Mordecai said:

Why are they having another sportscene tomorrow? Are they just going to do the same game analysis with different pundits? It's not as if there are any games on tomorrow.

A credible football show would use its 'SPFL highlights' brief to extend at least some coverage to the lower leagues on either broadcast, now that two shows a week are going to be a thing for the foreseeable future.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

A credible football show would use its 'SPFL highlights' brief to extend at least some coverage to the lower leagues on either broadcast, now that two shows a week are going to be a thing for the foreseeable future.

This - 

Saturday: Premiership

Sunday: leftover Premiership and lower league goals. 

14 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Neil McCant took Dunfermline to seventh in league one and ruined Dundee. Why is he giving opinions?

Wow! That is spooky!

Are you a witch?

Exactly what I was thinking, Neil McCann sitting on the sofa, talking  about tactics as if he was a managerial genius.

And your quote is spot on.

2 minutes ago, Merkincher Clach & County said:

Wow! That is spooky!

Are you a witch?

Exactly what I was thinking, Neil McCann sitting on the sofa, talking  about tactics as if he was a managerial genius.

And your quote is spot on.

He used to work for sky tv then turn up to ‘help’ us sometimes after half time. 
Total fraud.

2 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

It's quite ironic, because there's such a fixation in this country with how our top league is viewed by people across the border and abroad. There's a constant need to compare ourselves to others and try to emulate how they do things in the EPL (usually to our own detriment). However, one of the things which Match of the Day gets absolutely right is airing the highlights in order of entertainment value regardless of which teams are playing, and that is something we make no attempt to do.

It's funny because it has been known for many decades that the English public don't give a f**k about Scottish football, including the Sevco vs Celtic game (and why should they care about any of it?), yet there are many in Scottish football who not only don't get this but think it matters.

3 hours ago, kingjoey said:

In any normal footballing country, that Hamilton v St Johnstone match would have been first on the highlights and have had the bulk of the programme time spent on it. An outstanding match.

No it wouldn't. In pretty much any country around the world, a derby match between two title rivals would be shown first. It's different if Celtic bumbling past Motherwell at home is on first, but in this case I don't see any issue.

3 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

It's quite ironic, because there's such a fixation in this country with how our top league is viewed by people across the border and abroad. There's a constant need to compare ourselves to others and try to emulate how they do things in the EPL (usually to our own detriment). However, one of the things which Match of the Day gets absolutely right is airing the highlights in order of entertainment value regardless of which teams are playing, and that is something we make no attempt to do.

I agree with you but it's somewhat easier for MotD to do this due to having more than 2 clubs they deem relevant.

7 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Look we get it. Everyone took a knee before the game. Do we have to be shown the evidence at the start of every single football match for eternity?

The commentators saying "as has become customary" or similar to that is a bit off to me - it makes it sound like some routine that they have to do, a bit like shaking hands or tossing the coin, which somewhat takes away from the message. As soon as it becomes normalised, it loses its purpose.

1 minute ago, RawB93 said:

I agree with you but it's somewhat easier for MotD to do this due to having more than 2 clubs they deem relevant.

It's something I've noticed since the turn of the year particularly, but the first match shown has occasionally been a high-scoring match between two of the diddy clubs so it isn't just consigned to the 'big six' per se.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The commentators saying "as has become customary" or similar to that is a bit off to me - it makes it sound like some routine that they have to do, a bit like shaking hands or tossing the coin, which somewhat takes away from the message. As soon as it becomes normalised, it loses its purpose.

It is exactly that kind of normalised routine though because the gormless SPFA want to make some sort of completely useless, out of date statement every single week into eternity. That's probably not what the producers of Sportscene want to say but their piss-poor narration has ended up conveying the reality of the situation for a change.

6 hours ago, craigkillie said:

No it wouldn't. In pretty much any country around the world, a derby match between two title rivals would be shown first. It's different if Celtic bumbling past Motherwell at home is on first, but in this case I don't see any issue.

😂😂 🤔😧

I'm not particularly interested in extended highlights of matches other than those involving United (I even skip most of those) but I don't see why they couldn't have at least goal highlights from the lower leagues on Sportscene.

I seem to recall they showed highlights of the final day of the 2018-19 season when Falkirk were hilariously relegated to the third tier and it was a nice addition to the programme.

I'm not particularly interested in extended highlights of matches other than those involving United (I even skip most of those) but I don't see why they couldn't have at least goal highlights from the lower leagues on Sportscene.

I seem to recall they showed highlights of the final day of the 2018-19 season when Falkirk were hilariously relegated to the third tier and it was a nice addition to the programme.
They showed plenty of interest in the lower leagues around 2012-2016