Sportscene watch

18 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Rangers fans consider 'tackles' like this a red a card now do they?

IMG-20200913-WA0009.jpg

Ryan Jack was sent off for his tackle. Edwards never even received a talking to.

I said in the match thread that I wasn’t sure if the Edwards challenge was a red card as it’s hard to tell if he has deliberately followed through that high, but it just highlights how referees consistently make it up as they go along.

Edited by AJF

6 minutes ago, AJF said:

Ryan Jack was sent off for his tackle. Edwards never even received a talking to.

I said in the match thread that I wasn’t sure if the Edwards challenge was a red card as it’s hard to tell if he has deliberately followed through that high, but it just highlights how referees consistently make it up as they go along.

Ryan Jack was red carded with every rangers fan I know claiming it wasn't even a foul. This then led to the deranged lunatics claiming he was being hard done by since signing for you.

7 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Ryan Jack was red carded with every rangers fan I know claiming it wasn't even a foul. This then led to the deranged lunatics claiming he was being hard done by since signing for you.

I do think Jack’s was borderline (as was Edwards’). They are both in the realms of potentially being a natural follow through after winning the ball - only the players will know if it was deliberate or not

Both were certainly reckless, but as I said, my main gripe is with the standard of refereeing and guesswork that goes on as opposed to any agenda they may or may not have.

Just now, AJF said:

I do think Jack’s was borderline (as was Edwards’). They are both in the realms of potentially being a natural follow through after winning the ball - only the players will know if it was deliberate or not

Both were certainly reckless, but as I said, my main gripe is with the standard of refereeing and guesswork that goes on as opposed to any agenda they may or may not have.

They're red cards mate.

50 minutes ago, AJF said:

Why do you mention intent? That has zero relevance.

Also referees don't have slow motion replays from multiple angles and have to make decisions themselves, which can  never guarantee 100% accuracy, despite some fans ludicrously demanding it.

7 hours ago, A96 said:

Presumably because some of the players between him and Porteous were obstructing his view.  Also , and I think this point was made by Michael Stewart , there wasn't much of an appeal by the St Mirren players , which could make the ref think there can't have been a foul otherwise they'd be screaming for a pen.

I think with this and allowing the 3rd Hibs goal confirms that ‘top ref’ Collum bases many of his decisions on the crowd reaction. 

4 hours ago, starryfish said:

Why do only some fixtures get the on screen graphics with the shape of both teams? I noticed yesterday it was Ross County v Celtic and Rangers v Dundee Utd who had this whilst the other matches had the team lines scrolling across the bottom of the screen.

It may be that you’ve answered your own question there, Musky boy.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Why do you mention intent? That has zero relevance.

Also referees don't have slow motion replays from multiple angles and have to make decisions themselves, which can  never guarantee 100% accuracy, despite some fans ludicrously demanding it.

I think intent has to be a factor. Whether referees are advised to look out for it or not, it definitely comes into play. Players often take knocks due to the natural follow through or body movement as a result of a tackle.

For example, there is a massive difference between two players going up for a header and one accidentally catches the other with an elbow (the referee will 9 times out of 10 give a yellow card), compared to two players going up for a header and one of them deliberately catching the other with an elbow. If the referee deems it deliberate, then it’s a red.