Sportscene watch

Aye. VAR is terrible if you're in the stadium. I've been at a game which stopped for four minutes, nobody knew why and we were left even more confused when the goal was chalked off and a penalty awarded the other way.

If this could be guaranteed to happen every derby game with the cheeks, I'd be all for it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

If this could be guaranteed to happen every derby game with the cheeks, I'd be all for it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I must admit, I was in the block next to the away fans and it would have been hilarious had I been in their shoes. Despite knowing the referee had probably got it right, I still think Chiesa is a wee diving p***k.

• 2 weeks later...

True tinpottery on show on Saturday when they just dubbed the radio commentary from Dundee v Aberdeen over the highlights.

Obviously it's too much to ask for commentators to be sent to the actual games (all are done off-tube - with two possible exceptions), but would it really have been too difficult to have someone in a room at Pacific Quay commentating as-live on the pictures?

TV and radio commentary are two very different things, especially at grounds like Dens where the cameras are on the opposite side to the press box. 

3 hours ago, The Master said:

True tinpottery on show on Saturday when they just dubbed the radio commentary from Dundee v Aberdeen over the highlights.

Obviously it's too much to ask for commentators to be sent to the actual games (all are done off-tube - with two possible exceptions), but would it really have been too difficult to have someone in a room at Pacific Quay commentating as-live on the pictures?

TV and radio commentary are two very different things, especially at grounds like Dens where the cameras are on the opposite side to the press box. 

I would imagine it was because the game was ongoing while the programme had already started, so probably timed out. Did sound a bit strange, but actually quote liked the more detailed commentary. 

5 hours ago, The Master said:

I much prefer it when they do this, rather than have Rob McLean trying to kid-on that he doesn’t know what’s about to happen. 

17 minutes ago, Swami said:

I much prefer it when they do this, rather than have Rob McLean trying to kid-on that he doesn’t know what’s about to happen. 

I've noticed a few times that they get overly excited when a scorer has a shot prior to actually scoring in the highlights.

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

I would imagine it was because the game was ongoing while the programme had already started, so probably timed out. Did sound a bit strange, but actually quote liked the more detailed commentary. 

Yes, but they could have achieved exactly the same thing by having someone commentate on the pictures as they came in to Pacific Quay. 

Radio commentary is too detailed for TV. It's fine for short clips, like they down down south with the early FA Cup rounds having local radio commentary, but for the highlights of Scotland's top flight it's a really poor approach to take. 

As I said as well, it's also quite jarring when the commentary is coming from the other side of the pitch because the terminology is all wrong when referring to where things are going on (far-side vs near-side etc.).

23 minutes ago, Swami said:

The best option all-round is to have the commentators commentate on the pictures as they come in, then edit it down. 

Actually, no, I tell a lie. The best option is for them to be at the ground; but in the absence of that, as-live off-tube commentary should be the minimum standard. 

Edited by The Master

13 minutes ago, The Master said:

Yes, but they could have achieved exactly the same thing by having someone commentate on the pictures as they came in to Pacific Quay. 

Radio commentary is too detailed for TV. It's fine for short clips, like they down down south with the early FA Cup rounds having local radio commentary, but for the highlights of Scotland's top flight it's a really poor approach to take. 

As I said as well, it's also quite jarring when the commentary is coming from the other side of the pitch because the terminology is all wrong when referring to where things are going on (far-side vs near-side etc.).

The best option all-round is to have the commentators commentate on the pictures as they come in, then edit it down. 

Actually, no, I tell a lie. The best option is for them to be at the ground; but in the absence of that, as-live off-tube commentary should be the minimum standard. 

I agree, the best solution is proper TV commentary, but sometimes when not commentated on live, as someone said above, it can be rubbish. Guessing having the 6 games on one day is stretching BBC resources when covering TV, radio and online, especially with one game overlapping with the TV highlights.

Incidently, did the Dundee vs Aberdeen game actually get shown internationally? Assume that was the intent.

I think Spoetscene is much improved in recent years. So much so that MOTD is drafting in Faddy now. So long as we don't get Danny Murphy as a pundit exchange!

On that, I assume McFadden, Stewart, Iwolumo etc are not under contract or anything to the BBC as they appear on other channels? Always wondered how much a pundit gets paid on something like sportscene vs Sky Sports....

13 hours ago, The Master said:

Still don't know why they couldn't have used the World Feed Comms of Jock Brown and Mark Hately.

I know it's the SPFL who have ownership of that but it wouldn't have been hard for someone at Pacific Quay to have a word at Hampden. Bizarre.