Sportscene watch

Just noticed the Sportscene tagline on the dreadfully named iPlayer: "The big games and the big names from all across Scottish football."

"...all across Scottish football."

Sportscene does show the Championship and Scottish Cup live games so I think this is reasonable.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Sportscene does show the Championship and Scottish Cup live games so I think this is reasonable.

The "across" bit offends me far more than the general claim tbf.

As others mentioned, Dick Gordon saying stuff like "We'll keep you across all the games" on Sportsound boils my piss (Sportsound thread for this boiled pish)

That's not even across the SPFL, let alone across Scottish football.
The Scottish Cup includes clubs from every single part of the Scottish football pyramid. SPFL, Highland League, Lowland League, East of Scotland, West of Scotland, South of Scotland, Midland, North Juniors, North Caledonian all represented. How much wider do you want it to be?

The Scottish Cup includes clubs from every single part of the Scottish football pyramid. SPFL, Highland League, Lowland League, East of Scotland, West of Scotland, South of Scotland, Midland, North Juniors, North Caledonian all represented. How much wider do you want it to be?
So once a year they might mention the Golspie Sutherland score on the results programme? That's like me saying I give to charity because in February I bought a paperback in British Heart Foundation.

It's clear that they don't cover the big games across Scottish football on a consistent basis. I'm not necessarily saying they should be doing things differently and I think things have definitely improved the last few years, but it's a pretty disingenuous claim.

19 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

So once a year they might mention the Golspie Sutherland score on the results programme? That's like me saying I give to charity because in February I bought a paperback in British Heart Foundation.

It's clear that they don't cover the big games across Scottish football on a consistent basis. I'm not necessarily saying they should be doing things differently and I think things have definitely improved the last few years, but it's a pretty disingenuous claim.

Does not compute.

I mean, obviously the size of a game is entirely subjective. Golspie Sutherland getting through to the 4th round of the Cup to play a top-flight team is massive to them, but unless and until they actually beat that top-flight team then very few people will give it even a passing glance.

And that's not some kind of "top flight supporter arrogance". I know full well that the vast majority of fans of Scottish football couldn't care less about the vast majority of Dundee results either.

37 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

So once a year they might mention the Golspie Sutherland score on the results programme? That's like me saying I give to charity because in February I bought a paperback in British Heart Foundation

They show games live in every single round of the cup. It's entirely possible Golspie Sutherland could be live on TV, and their chances of that would be higher if they won games a bit more frequently.

They show games live in every single round of the cup. It's entirely possible Golspie Sutherland could be live on TV, and their chances of that would be higher if they won games a bit more frequently.
It simply comes down to this: would any Scottish football fan, when asked to describe Sportscene to a newcomer, say "It covers the big games from across Scottish football."

1 minute ago, DiegoDiego said:
53 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It simply comes down to this: would any Scottish football fan, when asked to describe Sportscene to a newcomer, say "It covers the big games from across Scottish football."

That's the trouble with Scotland though, we tend to slag everything off and put it down, isn't really the way to promote our game. Just look at England with their best league in the world pish, and Harry Kane the world's best striker shite, yet it gets them big money deals and promotes their product to f**k. Some of their Premiership games are total garbage too, you wont hear them saying that though.

3 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

That's the trouble with Scotland though, we tend to slag everything off and put it down, isn't really the way to promote our game. Just look at England with their best league in the world pish, and Harry Kane the world's best striker shite, yet it gets them big money deals and promotes their product to f**k. Some of their Premiership games are total garbage too, you wont hear them saying that though.

A perfect example of this from yesterday.

1 hour ago, realmadrid said:

He did the same for the Edinburgh Derby.

Happy to take a wage from the game but sticks the boot in.

It's why the The Terrace lads are such a breath of fresh air. Folk who actually seem to enjoy the fitba 

Edited by invergowrie arab

1 hour ago, realmadrid said:

Exactly, seem to think they're billy big baws with their look at how funny i am slagging of our game, instead of doing something positive to promote it. It's one thing fans slagging each other's teams off, but guys that are being paid a wage from the game should be making an effort to promote it.

18 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

It's why the The Terrace lads are such a breath of fresh air. Folk who actually seem to enjoy the fitba 

Yeah and give some air time to the lower league teams. Refreshing that it isn't all about Sevco and Celtic with them.

2 hours ago, realmadrid said:

46 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

That’s an embarrassing thing to be tweeting 

39 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

And of course he’d never even consider doing the same for the “Old Firm” derby, no matter how poor it is. 

36 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

It's a generalisation but I think a lot of younger supporters aren't interested in the "laughing stock of world football", everything is shite stuff that you get from dinosaur hacks and beloved of moaning faced b*****ds that every club has supporting them. 

Apart from anything else, anyone that has watched even a bit of football wouldn't list "free-flowing football" as a major feature of derby games the world over - so I'm not even sure of the point he's trying to make. One of the things I like about derby matches in Scotland is that every ball is contested and you need to battle to win them - that's what it's all about.

45 minutes ago, Swello said:

It's a generalisation but I think a lot of younger supporters aren't interested in the "laughing stock of world football", everything is shite stuff that you get from dinosaur hacks and beloved of moaning faced b*****ds that every club has supporting them. 

Apart from anything else, anyone that has watched even a bit of football wouldn't list "free-flowing football" as a major feature of derby games the world over - so I'm not even sure of the point he's trying to make. One of the things I like about derby matches in Scotland is that every ball is contested and you need to battle to win them - that's what it's all about.

I think the young lads have zero expectation that it's a top European league and get the joy out of what we are good at. 

Yer da seems to be constantly raging that Scottish football (Rangers and Celtic) are a European irrelevance and lash out at all around them.

For all the Scotland are shite, Scottish football is shite they come out with you never hear them say the Old Firm are shite. 

3 hours ago, realmadrid said:

If he tells the truth (like there) you'll have morons crying about him not talking the game up. 

If he lies and talks it up the same people will moan "what fucking game was he watching?" 

It's better to tell the truth. The standard was fucking murder. 

1 hour ago, The Master said:

And of course he’d never even consider doing the same for the “Old Firm” derby, no matter how poor it is. 

Of course if that game is full of fouls, kicks and meaty challenges it’s “breathless, 100mph stuff”, “full of passion” and “commitment” and although it “may not be one for the purists” it’s still a “terrific advert for the Scottish league”.