Sportscene watch

18 minutes ago, Munoz said:

You might have a bit of a wait till you're watching your own teams highlights in the Premiership. 

I'd be quite happy to watch top flight highlights in addition to my regular viewing of Championship, as well as seaside league games whenever Alba used to show them as well. The Sportscene coverage is utterly diabolical though, so I don't bother and I doubt I'm the only one. 

Just now, virginton said:

I'd be quite happy to watch top flight highlights in addition to my regular viewing of Championship, as well as seaside league games whenever Alba used to show them as well. The Sportscene coverage is utterly diabolical though, so I don't bother and I doubt I'm the only one. 

Most supporters,  especially if their team has won will watch Sportscene (providing they are in the Premiership) I reckon. 

11 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Most supporters,  especially if their team has won will watch Sportscene (providing they are in the Premiership) I reckon. 

Perhaps, but that leaves 30 other fanbases in the SPFL alone - and countless others below that - who can likely take it or leave it overall because the production is honking. 

Match of the Day isn't produced for a market of 20 English Premier League clubs whose fans want to watch highlights regardless. It presents itself (deservedly or not) as the cornerstone of English football coverage, that a Crewe or Plymouth fan will still enjoy watching even though their club will never be featured on a weekly basis.

I'm not sure when Sportscene lost its comparable position in Scottish football, but the gulf between the two productions is wider than ever right now IMO. 

Edited by vikingTON

It's not even production values either, I think most folk would accept that it's not going to be as slick as MotD, but Sportscene is very frequently just an utterly joyless programme. It's football highlights by numbers - you can predict the exact format of the programme every week based on knowing the scores and a couple of the incidents. I usually watch it on catch-up or on the iPlayer and skip through all the analysis apart from the stuff on the Killie games. To be honest, if the YouTube SPFL highlights had commentary I probably wouldn't even bother with Sportscene, which is a shame.

I think BBC Sport Scotland needs a bit of a shake up in general in terms of all it's output - we've still got, by and large, the same folk as 10-15 years ago (or more in many cases) doing the bulk of the coverage on TV and radio, and that means it lacks a freshness and modernity. Kenny McIntyre still trying his sub-Jim Traynor shock jock nonsense on Sportsound is the nadir of that, but there doesn't seem to be any sign of it moving in a different direction.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It's not even production values either, I think most folk would accept that it's not going to be as slick as MotD, but Sportscene is very frequently just an utterly joyless programme. It's football highlights by numbers - you can predict the exact format of the programme every week based on knowing the scores and a couple of the incidents. I usually watch it on catch-up or on the iPlayer and skip through all the analysis apart from the stuff on the Killie games. To be honest, if the YouTube SPFL highlights had commentary I probably wouldn't even bother with Sportscene, which is a shame.

I think BBC Sport Scotland needs a bit of a shake up in general in terms of all it's output - we've still got, by and large, the same folk as 10-15 years ago (or more in many cases) doing the bulk of the coverage on TV and radio, and that means it lacks a freshness and modernity. Kenny McIntyre still trying his sub-Jim Traynor shock jock nonsense on Sportsound is the nadir of that, but there doesn't seem to be any sign of it moving in a different direction.

Joyless is a great description. It's so dull and feels like they are doing the absolute minimum because they don't care. 

4 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Joyless is a great description. It's so dull and feels like they are doing the absolute minimum because they don't care. 

The utter lack of interest from STV to be the main rights holder of the highlights means that BBC are almost obliged to show it which contributes to that I think.

It's an interesting point, because at Euro 2016 BBC Wales and BBC Northern Ireland were explicitly banned from providing their own coverage. The "network" coverage was instead given a "Welsh/Northern Irish flavour". 
No matter how shite the Sportscene coverage might potentially be, I want BBC Scotland to do their own thing out of a point of principle. They could have Sarah O presenting with punditry from Allan Preston and Billy Dodds, and commentary by Archie Macpherson and Steven Pressley for all I care. Just so long as it's different from BBC Englandshire. 
Let's not go over the top here.

22 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I agree; but as an arch-pedant, I'd also file all of the above as being the core of 'production values' anyway. The issue isn't the technical production - camera angles at grounds and use of touchscreens in the studio being tinpot (though sometimes they are). It is your description of the production as 'joyless'. There's an "och that'll do" attitude seeping through everything that has nothing to do with the resources available, and it's part of the reason why A View From The Terrace has been a breath of fresh air. Not all of their content works every week IMO, but it can never be said that the audience is being treated with such complacent, patronising contempt as within the so-called flagship BBC Sport Scotland programs. 

5 hours ago, The Master said:

There was a "proper" angle for the Hearts game. Maybe there was no space for the BBC camera alongside the one for the club stream.

I know that clubs were able to use the Sportscene cameras if there was a multi-camera edit, but presumably not where it was just a single camera and so club TV channels could rightly insist on the best angle for their paying fans. 

Yeah United had a pretty basic two camera set-up yesterday much poorer than the usual OB Unit we have for the Premiership games, camera angles looked different on the highlights. Weirdly no mention of the "punch" during the highlights or post-match.

Should say as well that the camera position for Livi vs Raith is awful.

5 hours ago, The Master said:

I think the presenter and pundits have editorial input, having been given a time constraint (i.e. "you'll have x minutes to analyse Hamilton v St Mirren - what do you want to cover").

Not that that defends the show; if anything, it's worse because the supposed experts don't really know where the "angle" is for a given game...

It's an interesting point, because at Euro 2016 BBC Wales and BBC Northern Ireland were explicitly banned from providing their own coverage. The "network" coverage was instead given a "Welsh/Northern Irish flavour". 

No matter how shite the Sportscene coverage might potentially be, I want BBC Scotland to do their own thing out of a point of principle. They could have Sarah O presenting with punditry from Allan Preston and Billy Dodds, and commentary by Archie Macpherson and Steven Pressley for all I care. Just so long as it's different from BBC Englandshire. 

^This. Do I f**k want to hear Jermaine Jenas' explanation of how Lawrence Shankland/Kevin Nisbet (delete as appropriate) have been playing all season as they look at our squad before the Czechia game? Would rather hear Alex Rae and Stephen Craigan (I know he's not Scottish) working for BBC Scotland than any of shite coming from the MoTD lads.

Same goes for STV as well, hope they have their own coverage of Scotland's games like they did for the two England games in 2016 and 2017. Get Derek Rae on comms for the England game, we all want it.

6 hours ago, virginton said:

It's the centenary of their Scottish Cup win, so probably. 

That wasn't a penalty IMO for Saint Mirren as the ball was essentially dead by flying out of play but the game was already finished as a contest.

Unless I’m unaware, does where the ball comes to rest have any bearing on wether it’s a foul or not. If a midfielder standing on the half way line was to misplace a pass into the stand, and then have an opponent clean him out after the ball was away, would it not be a foul? You can’t slide in around a players legs with the ball nowhere in the vicinity and then be surprised if it ends up as a foul. 

To be fair to Rice,  that sort of situation where the attacker balloons a shot out of play then gets tackled after is usually never given as a penalty, so I can understand his frustration. I think St Mirren got an almost identical decision to that a few weeks ago, at home to Kilmarnock I think, but apart from those two incidents I don’t recall any others being given as penalties, even though in my opinion it should be. 

2 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

Yeah United had a pretty basic two camera set-up yesterday much poorer than the usual OB Unit we have for the Premiership games, camera angles looked different on the highlights. Weirdly no mention of the "punch" during the highlights or post-match.

^This. Do I f**k want to hear Jermaine Jenas' explanation of how Lawrence Shankland/Kevin Nisbet (delete as appropriate) have been playing all season as they look at our squad before the Czechia game? Would rather hear Alex Rae and Stephen Craigan (I know he's not Scottish) working for BBC Scotland than any of shite coming from the MoTD lads.

Same goes for STV as well, hope they have their own coverage of Scotland's games like they did for the two England games in 2016 and 2017. Get Derek Rae on comms for the England game, we all want it.

Eilidh Barbour presenting, Darren Fletcher in the studio, Derek Rae and Ally McCoist on commentary. Job done. I'd settle for Champion with McCoist if Rae can't be arsed.

Sportsound thread for this pish, but I caught a bit of it yesterday, and the difference between Barbour reporting on the Dundee game, and their usual shower of morons was startling, if unsurprising.

Eilidh Barbour presenting, Darren Fletcher in the studio, Derek Rae and Ally McCoist on commentary. Job done. I'd settle for Champion with McCoist if Rae can't be arsed.
Sportsound thread for this pish, but I caught a bit of it yesterday, and the difference between Barbour reporting on the Dundee game, and their usual shower of morons was startling, if unsurprising.
Reality: Gary Lineker presenting; Shearer, Jenas and some former Scotland player who's known in England (best case scenario is Darren Fletcher but you can imagine them dredging up someone who retired in 1999) and then we'll have Guy Mowbray on comms with Danny Murphy and, if we're lucky, they'll bring in a second co-commentator like James McFadden.

They'll definitely have a feature with one of the England-born players - probably Adams or McTominay. The pre-match analysis will almost entirely focus on Robertson and Tierney but they'll show some of John McGinn's goals too. No non-PL players will get a mention.

@BBC give me £10,000.

I've not purposely watched Sportscene in well over a year. 

I just watch highlights either through Saints TV or the YouTube channel. I've absolutely no fucking interest in what the pundits have to say.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've not purposely watched Sportscene in well over a year. 

I just watch highlights either through Saints TV or the YouTube channel. I've absolutely no fucking interest in what the pundits have to say.

Yeah I’m the same. I watch all the Premiership goals on the SPFL YouTube channel.

6 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

42B63531-FDEA-49B8-9187-C82EC4A9C884.gif

Unless I’m unaware, does where the ball comes to rest have any bearing on wether it’s a foul or not. If a midfielder standing on the half way line was to misplace a pass into the stand, and then have an opponent clean him out after the ball was away, would it not be a foul? You can’t slide in around a players legs with the ball nowhere in the vicinity and then be surprised if it ends up as a foul. 

To be fair to Rice,  that sort of situation where the attacker balloons a shot out of play then gets tackled after is usually never given as a penalty, so I can understand his frustration. I think St Mirren got an almost identical decision to that a few weeks ago, at home to Kilmarnock I think, but apart from those two incidents I don’t recall any others being given as penalties, even though in my opinion it should be. 

A freekick/penalty cannot be given if the ball is out of play when the infringement occurs.