Sportscene watch

15 minutes ago, AJF said:

In my opinion it's because he is a character that fans love to hate. One of those player's that you love on your team but would hate playing against them.

He is petulant, he gets involved in conflict, he has had prior indiscretions and he has ability.

I think these things mean people like to put the boot in, which I don't mind, but it's when double standards start creeping in and media outlets start over-analysing everything that he does my main issue is with.

If there are double standards at play, which other Premiership players should be getting similar levels of scrutiny, so as to redress the balance?

10 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

If there are double standards at play, which other Premiership players should be getting similar levels of scrutiny, so as to redress the balance?

It’s not really specific players though, it’s the incidents.

As I mentioned earlier, if Morelos had pushed a defender in the face like Edouard did yesterday, would it have gone by without a single comment made about it? I strongly doubt it.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

It’s not really specific players though, it’s the incidents.

As I mentioned earlier, if Morelos had pushed a defender in the face like Edouard did yesterday, would it have gone by without a single comment made about it? I strongly doubt it.

OK, I will play. First, Edouard - it was commented on by the Sky guys, I watched the match - you see what you want to see.

Against Livi at the weekend, Bartley was booked for a rather bad challenge on Paul Hanlon -it verged on a red actually. Later, Marv conceded a penalty with a rather obvious professional foul "disguised" as him falling over.

Should have been a second yellow, but no comment at all on either Sportsound programme.

Now, I am not saying "there is a conspiracy" but against Killie last week, imo we should have had a penalty for handball in the second half and - again - this was not covered at all.

Two possibilities -

(1) neither of these was actually that worthy of further comment, and i am just seeing it through green tinted glasses.

(2) Its a conspiracy m'lud.

Even I am veering closer to (1).

In summary, Morelos is a tit, he gets attention because he is a tit.................although this season he seems to have been quite sensible so lets hope its a trend.

5 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

It does for the bbc. They implemented the policy.
The original point on this thread was why has he suddenly appeared having never been on the show previously.
You can add why is the show now full of female pundits at the time of the womens world cup. The bbc are absolutely pushing forward any female or bame presenter on all of their shows on every platform or type of program. Its great but dont try and pretend its not their policy.

Pointing this out makes you seem like there's a problem with the people. I'm sure if the panel was all rangers or all celtic all of a sudden then plenty people would start to question why this has happened also.
Iwelumo is a great pundit and I've seen him many times on ch5. The new female pundits are a bit all over the place in terms of quality and nowhere near as good as Alex Scott.
Ever since blm kicked off theres been a female or a black presenter/pundit on every single motd or football focus show.
Why now? Why not years ago?

This makes it seem like the only way a BAME person or a woman can get a job on certain shows is through a quota or tokenism. There's a sinister implication here, intentional or not.

7 minutes ago, Green Day said:

OK, I will play. First, Edouard - it was commented on by the Sky guys, I watched the match - you see what you want to see.

Against Livi at the weekend, Bartley was booked for a rather bad challenge on Paul Hanlon -it verged on a red actually. Later, Marv conceded a penalty with a rather obvious professional foul "disguised" as him falling over.

Should have been a second yellow, but no comment at all on either Sportsound programme.

Now, I am not saying "there is a conspiracy" but against Killie last week, imo we should have had a penalty for handball in the second half and - again - this was not covered at all.

Two possibilities -

(1) neither of these was actually that worthy of further comment, and i am just seeing it through green tinted glasses.

(2) Its a conspiracy m'lud.

Even I am veering closer to (1).

In summary, Morelos is a tit, he gets attention because he is a tit.................although this season he seems to have been quite sensible so lets hope its a trend.

I appreciate the examples you’ve given, but my (initial) comments around the Edouard incident was regarding the coverage provided by Sportscene, with the thread being specifically focused on that.

And it is Sportscene that my gripe is mainly aimed at - they have been some of the worst offenders at being “selective” in what they choose to highlight.

My main question is this: if Morelos had done what Edouard did, do you think it would’ve been glossed over like it was?

If your answer is no, then you appreciate where I’m coming from.

If your answer is yes, then I think we should respectfully agree to disagree.

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Poor wee Sevco, always the victim. The BBC are absolutely definitely totally against them and don't kiss their arse at all times.

I’ll say it again in case you missed (or ignored) what I said before - I don’t particularly feel this is to do with the team Morelos represents.

You’re (probably deliberately) misinterpreting what I’m saying.

There have been women working on Scottish football coverage for years, and not just at the BBC either. Hazel Irvine was one of the first I can think of, but there have been lots of others - the awful Scotsport show had Sarah O, BT had Eilidh Barbour for a long time and now she's at Sky where she replaced Hayley McQueen. Sandra Brown and Jane Lewis have both appeared on the radio for year, Julie Fleeting has been on Sportscene results several times too. And that's just off the top of my head without thinking of any others.
There haven't been a lot of black people on Scottish football coverage, but that's partly because we don't have a lot of black people in Scotland. However, Paul Elliott definitely used to do some punditry in the late 90s, and Marvin Bartley has been involved a lot recently (again, even before BLM took off this summer). Iwelumo is a Scotland international and most importantly appears to be very good at it, so why would you assume him being picked was some sort of affirmative action? As mentioned before, I think that says more about you than anything else.

Also won a Scottish Cup medal as an unused substitute with St Johnstone so a legend. Thought he talked very well.

I appreciate the examples you’ve given, but my (initial) comments around the Edouard incident was regarding the coverage provided by Sportscene, with the thread being specifically focused on that.
And it is Sportscene that my gripe is mainly aimed at - they have been some of the worst offenders at being “selective” in what they choose to highlight.
My main question is this: if Morelos had done what Edouard did, do you think it would’ve been glossed over like it was?
If your answer is no, then you appreciate where I’m coming from.
If your answer is yes, then I think we should respectfully agree to disagree.
They'd focus on Morelos since he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt anymore because he's shown himself to be a fucking bawbag.

BTW, one they absolutely didn't pick up on with Morelos this season was the stramash at the far left corner flag at Pittodrie. Where he looked very much like he had a petulant kick at someone. Again.

This makes it seem like the only way a BAME person or a woman can get a job on certain shows is through a quota or tokenism. There's a sinister implication here, intentional or not.
Ideally all jobs should be available to all and we shouldn't need any policies or equality quotas and select the best people.
I don't look at a show and think they've only got the job because of x. I'm only pointing out that the bbc are creating the potential for people to look at what they're doing and become a bit cynical.
I realise this is a hot potato and difficult to talk about without being labelled or looking like you have a sinister unconscious bias or similar.
If the blm protests hadn't happened then we wouldn't be seeing half of the new pundits or presenters, that's just my opinion. Also if sportscene wants to replace the entire show with whatever then that's fine.
I think my point is dont assume certain races or genders need help. This is divisive and wont help long term.

2 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Bringing this back on topic, I thought Chris Iwelumo was very good on Saturday night, and hope he is a regular guest. I haven't watched Sportscene much over the last few years for obvious reasons, but Michael Stewart still irritates me. If only he was as clever as he thought he was.

I thought he was very good as well. Far superior to Gordon, Stewart and Maloney

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

Ideally all jobs should be available to all and we shouldn't need any policies or equality quotas and select the best people.
I don't look at a show and think they've only got the job because of x. I'm only pointing out that the bbc are creating the potential for people to look at what they're doing and become a bit cynical.
I realise this is a hot potato and difficult to talk about without being labelled or looking like you have a sinister unconscious bias or similar.
If the blm protests hadn't happened then we wouldn't be seeing half of the new pundits or presenters, that's just my opinion. Also if sportscene wants to replace the entire show with whatever then that's fine.
I think my point is dont assume certain races or genders need help. This is divisive and wont help long term.

I’m struggling to see how it is divisive. An ex footballer who played in Scotland and for Scotland is a pundit. The same criteria is broadly used for the other pundits.  

Has there ever been a CF sent of so many times in such a short period of time as in Morelos,you’d reluctantly accept that from a big tough tackling CB but he’s a wee turd who seems to glory in his silly sending offs otherwise he’d learn from them,time will tell if he stays.

Just now, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Will someone please find Stephen O'Donnell a club to get him away from BBC Scotland Towers?

Preferable a double swoop with Leanne Crichton going with him. 

Thank you.

Not a man to look you in the face