Sportscene watch

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

I have no idea how anyone could watch Morelos for 90 minutes and then claim he's the victim of some campaign against him.

Because they're morons who are absolutely desperate to believe anyone associated with their club is hard done by as they love playing the victim.

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Some people seem to see Iwelumo and instantly start screaming "TOKENISM!!!".

Myself and others see him and simply think of that miss against Norway or that he played for Wolves or that he won the cup with St Johnstone. Colour doesn't come in to it.

Normal sane people.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I have no idea how anyone could watch Morelos for 90 minutes and then claim he's the victim of some campaign against him.

I wouldn’t say there is a campaign per se, but I wholeheartedly believe that incidents that happen up and down the country in every match are always under the spotlight more if Morelos is involved.

They rumble on for days in the media (sometimes weeks like the last Rangers v Celtic match).

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Because they're morons who are absolutely desperate to believe anyone associated with their club is hard done by as they love playing the victim.

Again, I don’t particularly believe this is because he plays for Rangers. But I think people are kidding themselves if they don’t believe Morelos is scrutinised to a higher degree than other players in Scotland.

Some people seem to see Iwelumo and instantly start screaming "TOKENISM!!!".
Myself and others see him and simply think of that miss against Norway or that he played for Wolves or that he won the cup with St Johnstone. Colour doesn't come in to it.
It does for the bbc. They implemented the policy.
The original point on this thread was why has he suddenly appeared having never been on the show previously.
You can add why is the show now full of female pundits at the time of the womens world cup. The bbc are absolutely pushing forward any female or bame presenter on all of their shows on every platform or type of program. Its great but dont try and pretend its not their policy.

Pointing this out makes you seem like there's a problem with the people. I'm sure if the panel was all rangers or all celtic all of a sudden then plenty people would start to question why this has happened also.
Iwelumo is a great pundit and I've seen him many times on ch5. The new female pundits are a bit all over the place in terms of quality and nowhere near as good as Alex Scott.
Ever since blm kicked off theres been a female or a black presenter/pundit on every single motd or football focus show.
Why now? Why not years ago?

15 minutes ago, AJF said:

Again, I don’t particularly believe this is because he plays for Rangers. But I think people are kidding themselves if they don’t believe Morelos is scrutinised to a higher degree than other players in Scotland.

Rangers/Celtic players are scrutinised/favoured/feted more than those of other teams.  It would be better if that was not the case.  I suspect it is the actions of Morelos rather than the man himself which may bring additional focus. That is down to him.

46 minutes ago, AJF said:

He's scrutinised for no other reason than that it's entirely justified.

17 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

He's scrutinised for no other reason than that it's entirely justified.

My point isn’t that he is scrutinised in general, it’s that he is held to a higher standard than others. I used the Edouard incident yesterday as an example. I think it’s highly likely if it was Morelos involved the reaction would’ve been wildly different. 

51 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

It does for the bbc. They implemented the policy.
The original point on this thread was why has he suddenly appeared having never been on the show previously.
You can add why is the show now full of female pundits at the time of the womens world cup. The bbc are absolutely pushing forward any female or bame presenter on all of their shows on every platform or type of program. Its great but dont try and pretend its not their policy.

Pointing this out makes you seem like there's a problem with the people. I'm sure if the panel was all rangers or all celtic all of a sudden then plenty people would start to question why this has happened also.
Iwelumo is a great pundit and I've seen him many times on ch5. The new female pundits are a bit all over the place in terms of quality and nowhere near as good as Alex Scott.
Ever since blm kicked off theres been a female or a black presenter/pundit on every single motd or football focus show.
Why now? Why not years ago?

If you look around you will see that Scottish football is incredibly lacking in diversity, from a homegrown POV. You could probably list every Scottish professional black footballer on the back of a postcard. Therefore there is going to be a lack of black coaches and pundits. CI is good and no doubt will be back.

Edited by cmontheloknow

5 minutes ago, AJF said:

My point isn’t that he is scrutinised in general, it’s that he is held to a higher standard than others. I used the Edouard incident yesterday as an example. I think it’s highly likely if it was Morelos involved the reaction would’ve been wildly different. 

If your point is just that you want a Celtic player to receive the media attention Morelos does, then frankly it's boring and I'm not interested.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

If your point is just that you want a Celtic player to receive the media attention Morelos does, then frankly it's boring and I'm not interested.

No, that is not my point. It’s simply to highlight the inconsistencies in reporting when Morelos is involved.

If you look around you will see that Scottish football is incredibly lacking in diversity, from a homegrown POV. You could probably list every Scottish professional black footballer on the back of a postcard. Therefore there is going to be a lack of black coaches and pundits. CI is good and no doubt will be back.
Good point, hope he comes back.

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Eh...ok. Well I'll just re-iterate my point that it's entirely justified.

Like I said before, I don't expect to agree on this - I just don't feel a player being held to a different standard than others can be justified.

1 hour ago, AJF said:

Same reason that Cantona received scrutiny, had talent but his on field discipline was poor.  That sort of thing sells newspapers.  Cantona was by far a superior player to Morelos though, just in case anyone takes umbrage at a comparison between the two.  However, if Morelos could keep his head, then he wouldn't receive such scrutiny.

Bringing this back on topic, I thought Chris Iwelumo was very good on Saturday night, and hope he is a regular guest. I haven't watched Sportscene much over the last few years for obvious reasons, but Michael Stewart still irritates me. If only he was as clever as he thought he was.

4 hours ago, AJF said:

Why do you think it is then?

10 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Bringing this back on topic, I thought Chris Iwelumo was very good on Saturday night, and hope he is a regular guest. I haven't watched Sportscene much over the last few years for obvious reasons, but Michael Stewart still irritates me. If only he was as clever as he thought he was.

I would quite like the two of them on together, would be much better than Maloney and "Mogadon Man" Craig Gordon.

25 minutes ago, Green Day said:

Why do you think it is then?

In my opinion it's because he is a character that fans love to hate. One of those player's that you love on your team but would hate playing against them.

He is petulant, he gets involved in conflict, he has had prior indiscretions and he has ability.

I think these things mean people like to put the boot in, which I don't mind, but it's when double standards start creeping in and media outlets start over-analysing everything that he does my main issue is with.