Sportscene watch

6 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Considering the shit quality of white male pundits this is actually a good thing though tbh.

Not really, they could just seek out actually good pundits, capable of some genuine analysis from any demographic, and not just look for 'high profile' ex players who more than likely have OF affiliations.

It never crossed my mind at all. If you "can't help but think" the only reason a black man is on the telly is affirmative action it probably says more about you.
Zero women presenters or pundits
Womens world cup
Every show now has women on it

Zero black presenters or pundits
Blm
Every show has black presenters or pundits on it

Yep, can't help but think.

Like I said no problem with it. It should have happened sooner though but it does very much look like affirmative action and the bbc are the only channel doing it.
They actually have this as part of their policy and hunted Hansen and others as a result of it.
I'm a mad racist though.

17 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Zero women presenters or pundits
Womens world cup
Every show now has women on it

Zero black presenters or pundits
Blm
Every show has black presenters or pundits on it

Yep, can't help but think.

Like I said no problem with it. It should have happened sooner though but it does very much look like affirmative action and the bbc are the only channel doing it.
They actually have this as part of their policy and hunted Hansen and others as a result of it.
I'm a mad racist though.

There have been women working on Scottish football coverage for years, and not just at the BBC either. Hazel Irvine was one of the first I can think of, but there have been lots of others - the awful Scotsport show had Sarah O, BT had Eilidh Barbour for a long time and now she's at Sky where she replaced Hayley McQueen. Sandra Brown and Jane Lewis have both appeared on the radio for year, Julie Fleeting has been on Sportscene results several times too. And that's just off the top of my head without thinking of any others.

There haven't been a lot of black people on Scottish football coverage, but that's partly because we don't have a lot of black people in Scotland. However, Paul Elliott definitely used to do some punditry in the late 90s, and Marvin Bartley has been involved a lot recently (again, even before BLM took off this summer). Iwelumo is a Scotland international and most importantly appears to be very good at it, so why would you assume him being picked was some sort of affirmative action? As mentioned before, I think that says more about you than anything else.

There have been women working on Scottish football coverage for years, and not just at the BBC either. Hazel Irvine was one of the first I can think of, but there have been lots of others - the awful Scotsport show had Sarah O, BT had Eilidh Barbour for a long time and now she's at Sky where she replaced Hayley McQueen. Sandra Brown and Jane Lewis have both appeared on the radio for year, Julie Fleeting has been on Sportscene results several times too. And that's just off the top of my head without thinking of any others.
There haven't been a lot of black people on Scottish football coverage, but that's partly because we don't have a lot of black people in Scotland. However, Paul Elliott definitely used to do some punditry in the late 90s, and Marvin Bartley has been involved a lot recently (again, even before BLM took off this summer). Iwelumo is a Scotland international and most importantly appears to be very good at it, so why would you assume him being picked was some sort of affirmative action? As mentioned before, I think that says more about you than anything else.
Affirmative action is part of bbcs policies.
You can look it up online.
I don't have a problem with it, someone else mention his sudden appearance on this thread and commented on it.
You assume that I did so because I think he's just on it as a token guest. I didnt say that. You would think that the amount of female or minority guests or presenters has went through the roof because that's bbcs actual policy.
Again no problem with it other than its saying to female/bame people that they need a hand and highlighting their differences rather than opening up long term media education opportunities for them which would be a longer term fix imo.

I guess that theres an arguement of having some as mentors or an inspiration. Its not an easy thing to sort and I don't mean to offend anyone. I'm certainly not racist or have any preconditions about people other than I don't like affirmative action as it seems a bit heavy handed and offensive.

Long term changes are needed, not short term tokenism.

We are talking about sportscene and motd pundits here.

If Craig Gordon, James McFadden, Shaun Maloney and a countless parade of goons over the years are qualified to be Sportscene pundits then Iwelumo is too.

Bit sad that anyone automatically jumps to conclusions about why a person is there based on physical characteristics rather than just seeing it as another person, shite or not. It's like people don't see them as just a person but rather a colour or a gender.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

I’m not surprised the panel decided against micro-analysing the Edouard incident after the highlights. I’m sure Morelos would have been afforded the same treatment...

The second sentence does not need to follow the first one. This is why none of us like either of you.

Edited by Merkland Red

1 minute ago, AJF said:

I’m not surprised the panel decided against micro-analysing the Edouard incident after the highlights. I’m sure Morelos would have been afforded the same treatment...

Is this a claim that the BBC are biased against Sevco and/or in favour of Celtic?

Just now, DA Baracus said:

Is this a claim that the BBC are biased against Sevco and/or in favour of Celtic?

No, certainly not. It’s more to do with the treatment of Morelos as a player rather than the team he represents.

Unsure why there are people claiming Iwelumo is only getting a gig due to BAME when he was on the show in previous season, has been a recurring pundit on English Championship shows for several seasons and he also played up here and internationally. Incredible the way some idiots out themselves and their outdated morals.

Just now, Merkland Red said:

Regularly throwing himself to the floor under minimal contact for a start. Once against Aberdeen in the cup game at Ibrox when we knocked you out. Was already on a yellow. Should have been off. Not a peep said.

I don’t think we will agree on this. In my opinion, Morelos is the most scrutinised player in Scotland and is held to a different standard by media and supporters.

You may disagree, but I’m 100% convinced that if Morelos had done what Edouard done yesterday, there would have been an abundance of news outlets and media personalities commenting on it.

1 minute ago, All-Star-Par said:

Unsure why there are people claiming Iwelumo is only getting a gig due to BAME when he was on the show in previous season, has been a recurring pundit on English Championship shows for several seasons and he also played up here and internationally. Incredible the way some idiots out themselves and their outdated morals.

Some people seem to see Iwelumo and instantly start screaming "TOKENISM!!!".

Myself and others see him and simply think of that miss against Norway or that he played for Wolves or that he won the cup with St Johnstone. Colour doesn't come in to it.