Sportscene watch

1 hour ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

After Forrest and Fraser what wingers would you pick ahead of him? Granted there's a long list of attacking midfielders who could play out wide, but we don't have many wingers at all. And international football is a strange beast, guys with one overpowered attribute can make more of a difference there in my view.

Is he of the quality to start for Scotland? Nah probably not. Is he good enough to be in squads and serve a purpose? Absolutely.

I'd play the abundance of attacking midfielders who can play out wide.

He's a threat with his pace, could potentially cause some bother off the bench knocking the ball past folk and then running on to it but there's a reason a laddie with that pace is still playing his football for one of the non OF teams up here.

31 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

Just saving himself for the superior opposition such as Celtic, Rangers, Dundee Utd and Ross County. The top 6 contenders.

Was this supposed to be offensive? I don't get it.

17 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I'd play the abundance of attacking midfielders who can play out wide.

He's a threat with his pace, could potentially cause some bother off the bench knocking the ball past folk and then running on to it but there's a reason a laddie with that pace is still playing his football for one of the non OF teams up here.

If you think that's still all there is to his game you've not been watching tbh. Again, Scotland have 2 (two) serviceable wingers in the squad, and if either is injured, or you want to add pace into the wide areas, then it's square legs in round holes regardless of the player's general ability, or calling up Lewis Morgan, Mickey Johnson or Jake Hastie. Anyway, is it not all a moot point as he's an Aussie now?

Just now, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

If you think that's still all there is to his game you've not been watching tbh. Again, Scotland have 2 (two) serviceable wingers in the squad, and if either is injured, or you want to add pace into the wide areas, then it's square legs in round holes regardless of the player's general ability, or calling up Lewis Morgan, Mickey Johnson or Jake Hastie. Anyway, is it not all a moot point as he's an Aussie now?

Technically, he's not an Aussie yet. He's only ever been played in friendlies, partly because they crocked him before he could start in a competitive match.

Part of that is that Livingston had Efe Ambrose out of his comfort zone and playing left wing back to mark Boyle, and left Doidge and Nisbet and Horgan running riot elsewhere.
If Boyle's one contribution to the match is having the other team randomly shuffle their formation about to contain his perceived threat, he's not doing so bad.

Ambrose played there last week too tbf. f**k knows why.

Watching Sportscene tonight and I thought Iwelumo was very good. I did giggle though when he was talking about McKay scoring for Ross County and he said “It’s the hardest thing in football” and I just thought to myself “You certainly made it look pretty difficult!” 

2 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Part of that is that Livingston had Efe Ambrose out of his comfort zone and playing left wing back to mark Boyle, and left Doidge and Nisbet and Horgan running riot elsewhere.

If Boyle's one contribution to the match is having the other team randomly shuffle their formation about to contain his perceived threat, he's not doing so bad.

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

Oh absolutely, said as much about Ambrose on the match thread, that was it for one half though. 

Efe playing LWB had nothing to do with Boyle...he played there in the "pre-season" games and last week...none of us can figure out why when we have a LWB in the squad

Just now, Cptn Hooch said:

Efe playing LWB had nothing to do with Boyle...he played there in the "pre-season" games and last week...none of us can figure out why when we have a LWB in the squad

Neither can I, much better second half. 

5 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Lads, Martin Boyle is nowhere near the quality of players that play in his position for Scotland.

He's absolutely rapid but far too inconsistent. 

Quick enough to avoid the 'rona, unlike some.

3 hours ago, resk said:
3 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:
Am I wrong in thinking that 2014 Scottish Cup winner Chris Iwelumos knowledge of Scottish football is better than some who spend all their time up here?

Yeah was impressed with him as well.

Was impressed with him when I watched him play as a 16 year old at love st. he was a big lad even then, not sure why we let him go....bit like ross stewart

8 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

There's obviously more to his game than that but that's his main asset and he's going to have a real struggle when that goes.

I'm not tarring him with the Ivan Sproule brush. He's much better than that.

8 hours ago, Aim Here said:

Technically, he's not an Aussie yet. He's only ever been played in friendlies, partly because they crocked him before he could start in a competitive match.

Is that right?

I had thought Scotland had missed the boat with Boyle - although maybe he is now just committed to them after the genius that is McLeish told him he was not needed.

eta - just checked, you are right, due to injury he has not had a competitive match.

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

There's obviously more to his game than that but that's his main asset and he's going to have a real struggle when that goes.

I'm not tarring him with the Ivan Sproule brush. He's much better than that.

He was a complete "headless chicken" when he arrived - genuinely one of those pacey but cant control a bag of cement types.

He has changed enormously since then and has great control and - crucially -  a goal threat which has started to pay off.

Boyle will either leave in this window for a decent fee or stay and go for free (and with our blessing) at the end of the season. Has been a good player and a Scottish Cup winner for us and cost nothing - cant deny him the chance to make a fortune in his last big move.

n.b. If you check both of these two goals out, neither was particularly due to blistering pace, but control and good finishing.

Obviously these are against lower league opposition.....................

13 minutes ago, Green Day said:

He was a complete "headless chicken" when he arrived - genuinely one of those pacey but cant control a bag of cement types.

He has changed enormously since then and has great control and - crucially -  a goal threat which has started to pay off.

Boyle will either leave in this window for a decent fee or stay and go for free (and with our blessing) at the end of the season. Has been a good player and a Scottish Cup winner for us and cost nothing - cant deny him the chance to make a fortune in his last big move.

n.b. If you check both of these two goals out, neither was particularly due to blistering pace, but control and good finishing.

Obviously these are against lower league opposition.....................

I'm not saying he doesn't have the talent. He's scored a couple of very well taken goals against Aberdeen but you also get the games where he misses several sitters also.

I think he's a very good player at this level but don't think he's got enough to play for Scotland.