Sportscene watch

9 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:
Some facts about the weekends matches.

Less than half the players who got game time were Scottish - 48%.  Think that's pretty alarming when you look at the quality of player most teams are bringing in.

Out of 140 players, only 6 were Scottish and under 20 years old.  3 of them were from one team - Accies.  Pretty pathetic from the rest of the sides.

Celtic had 15 shots on target.  The highest any one else managed was 4.  Aberdeen didn't have any and the average excluding Celtic was 2.6 shots on target.  Again pretty pathetic.

Leaving aside the stuff about shots on target (where I think "pathetic" is a very strange word to use too), I'm very interested in what you think is an acceptable percentage of Scottish players.

You're talking about just under half the players being Scottish which doesn't seem that bad to me considering our place in the pecking order where players leave our clubs every summer for more money in the top three tiers of English football.

You could probably put together about 6 full teams of Scottish players across those leagues, if not more. There isn't an infinite supply of Scottish players of sufficient quality to replace them each time.

In terms of the U20s bit, I'm also slightly curious as to what you expect. First of all, U20 is a strange age bracket to use since we tend to play U21 football in this country, but that's not hugely important. The main question is how many players of that age you expect to be playing. Just picking Killie as an example, we had 8 Scottish players who appeared on Saturday, 5 of which made their debut for Killie at 21 or under. Are we supposed to be constantly dropping these players on an annual basis to replace them with the next batch of 19/20 year olds?

Edited by craigkillie

Changes depending where you get your stats as well i.e. Flashscore has Ali McCann as Northern Irish and David Wotherspoon as Canadian. 

Counting them as Scottish, we went with 9/11 starters and 2/3 subs were from Scotland. 3x CBs are 23, 23 and 24 year old Scots.

Agree that u20 is a strange age to use, usually go with u21 or u23. 

We had nine Scottish starters (I think!) - three centre backs all aged 23 and 24, a 23-year-old striker and a 20-year-old centre midfielder. All but one either came through our own youth system or was brought in as a youngster to develop. We had our second choice goalkeeper in - but if we hadn't it would have been Clark, a youth system product. Stevie May - another youth system product - came off the bench. Are we supposed to just ditch these players once they get over 21? Surely the whole point is to develop them as first team players either to keep at Premiership level for the long term or to sell on for a profit? It's a very arbitrary cap to put on it.

50 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

James McFadden on OAM was trying to say Carson got nowhere near that Powers shot.

If he hadn't watched the replays before saying that I think it's fair enough. I was watching the game live and didn't think he'd touched it the first couple of times I saw it.

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

Lads, Martin Boyle is nowhere near the quality of players that play in his position for Scotland.

He's absolutely rapid but far too inconsistent. 

After Forrest and Fraser what wingers would you pick ahead of him? Granted there's a long list of attacking midfielders who could play out wide, but we don't have many wingers at all. And international football is a strange beast, guys with one overpowered attribute can make more of a difference there in my view.

Is he of the quality to start for Scotland? Nah probably not. Is he good enough to be in squads and serve a purpose? Absolutely.

Am I wrong in thinking that 2014 Scottish Cup winner Chris Iwelumos knowledge of Scottish football is better than some who spend all their time up here?
Yeah was impressed with him as well.

37 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Boyle was boaby the day tbf

Part of that is that Livingston had Efe Ambrose out of his comfort zone and playing left wing back to mark Boyle, and left Doidge and Nisbet and Horgan running riot elsewhere.

If Boyle's one contribution to the match is having the other team randomly shuffle their formation about to contain his perceived threat, he's not doing so bad.

3 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Lads, Martin Boyle is nowhere near the quality of players that play in his position for Scotland.

He's absolutely rapid but far too inconsistent. 

Just saving himself for the superior opposition such as Celtic, Rangers, Dundee Utd and Ross County. The top 6 contenders.

3 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Yip, really good. Hope he gets asked back.

Still can never be forgiven for that miss though. Nah tbf he was very good and it's always good to hear a different voice on Sportscene than the usual suspects. I imagine one of the reasons he's on is that Sportscene has a severe lack of BAME pundits (only Bartley comes to mind and he can't be on that much due to playing commitments). 

Was another good show tbf, the banal chat was better than usual although has Stewart tired to dye his hair blonde? Still annoyed they didn't do the formation line-up for the Motherwell vs United game, or the County game either. 

Great we got almost the whole show without a mention of the OF though, eh...

34 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Part of that is that Livingston had Efe Ambrose out of his comfort zone and playing left wing back to mark Boyle, and left Doidge and Nisbet and Horgan running riot elsewhere.

If Boyle's one contribution to the match is having the other team randomly shuffle their formation about to contain his perceived threat, he's not doing so bad.

Oh absolutely, said as much about Ambrose on the match thread, that was it for one half though.