Neverendum

Guest Longbottom Leaf

48 minutes ago, Longbottom Leaf said:

I should be interested to hear thoughts on whether you would support a referendum on a union with England and Wales, should Scotland become zindependent?

If the folk on this thread argue for another referendum, then logical reasoning would support the same in that other situation. 

I'd also ask for some people above to drop the insults. 

if an independent Scotland votes in a government pledging one? Sure thing, but yeah good luck to a most likely Tory govt in England selling reforming the Union. Bloody subsidy junky Jockoland, tell em to piss orf etc.

Wales is slightly different because of Plaid Cymru tbh.

Guest Longbottom Leaf
3 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

Longbottom Leaf is also a strain of cannabis. This may explain his delusional belief that there have been multiple Scottish Independence referenda.

I don't do drugs other than a pint and a dram.

Guest Longbottom Leaf
6 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

Aye Malky, we know

TSP_180322-251_b8d2a353-7f9f-45e8-b33e-e

1%E6%A8%A1%E6%9D%BF.jpg

Not sure why so many on this forum throw purile comments around like this. Perhaps because they don't know that a forum is for healthy debate, not just attacking those who happen to have a different opinion.

That's a closed mindset. I always thought that having your arguments tested,  was the best way to test if they held water, and a chance to strengthen and refine them. Or even modify, change,  or abandon.

And by the way, I brew my own beer pal.

Guest Longbottom Leaf
7 hours ago, NotThePars said:

You're the top post on the page

Not sure catch your drift. But seriously, the intolerance on here is embarrassing. 

For the record. I'm neither pro Indi nor against.
I'm most definitely pro democracy in this. 
And we have spoken several times against it.
What I'm interested in is the number we have and the time down between each event. 
If I had to put a figure on it I would say around 50 years. 
Say opinion polls favour independence 99/1, do we still have to wait another 44 years to have a vote on it?

Guest Longbottom Leaf
19 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:
12 hours ago, Longbottom Leaf said:
For the record. I'm neither pro Indi nor against.
I'm most definitely pro democracy in this. 
And we have spoken several times against it.
What I'm interested in is the number we have and the time down between each event. 
If I had to put a figure on it I would say around 50 years. 

Say opinion polls favour independence 99/1, do we still have to wait another 44 years to have a vote on it?

That's a good question. I think however opinion polls can be manipulated. The ballot box is probably the way to go. 

I do think it should be a constitutional matter on not done on a whim.

3 hours ago, Longbottom Leaf said:

Not sure why so many on this forum throw purile comments around like this. Perhaps because they don't know that a forum is for healthy debate, not just attacking those who happen to have a different opinion.

That's a closed mindset. I always thought that having your arguments tested,  was the best way to test if they held water, and a chance to strengthen and refine them. Or even modify, change,  or abandon.

And by the way, I brew my own beer pal.

Wants healthy debate by starting a topic "Neverendum".  That's a massive bias right away. Now you're keen to talk about when a referendum should happen - ignoring the existing thread on this very topic. Maybe if you want healthy debate you should adopt a more neutral tone to start with. Either that or acknowledge that if you want the debate had at the ballot box then don't add "50 years". Anyway, you've no intention of having healthy debate so that'll be me done. 

Guest Longbottom Leaf
40 minutes ago, HTG said:

Wants healthy debate by starting a topic "Neverendum".  That's a massive bias right away. Now you're keen to talk about when a referendum should happen - ignoring the existing thread on this very topic. Maybe if you want healthy debate you should adopt a more neutral tone to start with. Either that or acknowledge that if you want the debate had at the ballot box then don't add "50 years". Anyway, you've no intention of having healthy debate so that'll be me done. 

For me, healthy debate avoids ad hominum  attacks. And only because there may be someone willing to be devil's advocate. Nice.

The strength of feeling amongst Scots for Independence grows immeasurably day by day.

Two main issues in recent times have strengthened the need for it.

Scotland is being ruled from Westminster by an incompetent party we did not vote for.

Scotland was pulled out of the EU against our vote to remain in.

And finally a union of states is regarded as a single political entity, which by the two issues mentioned above clearly indicates that the UK is not, and the whole imbalanced structure is no longer viable, the sooner the flag waving little englanders realise that the sooner we will be an Independent state and welcomed with open arms into the EU. 

3 hours ago, Longbottom Leaf said:

That's a good question. I think however opinion polls can be manipulated. The ballot box is probably the way to go. 

I do think it should be a constitutional matter on not done on a whim.

How do you manipulate an opinion poll?

And are you equally concerned about manipulation in a referendum itself?

It's impossible to gauge the appetite for a referendum outside of opinion polls. It's not like a party can say "we will hold an independence referendum if we win an election" and then point to the fact they hold an outright majority as evidence of that

On 01/08/2020 at 04:06, Longbottom Leaf said:

This referendum stuff in Scotland.

I've a good decade and more before I retire and I've already seen a handful of referenda in my time.

I mean what does once in a generation actually mean?

Will nationalists continue to insist on one every decade or so until they win one?

maybe they won't have to...

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/english-independence-polling-by-panelbase-1-6745542

20 minutes ago, thisal said:

That poll asks for one answer to 2 questions. Thinking the rUK should be allowed to make their own choice is a different question from should England be independent.

that's why I said 'maybe'

2 hours ago, aaa said:

Ooft. There'd be some bitter tantrums if England ever decided to leave the UK. New levels of SNP BAD.

Someone on here was furious with the SNP back when the DUP were taking bribes for propping up the Tories in Westminster. If only they'd agreed to do what they were told, Scotland could have been the beneficiaries of this political corruption!  :lol:

6 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

The strength of feeling amongst Scots for Independence grows immeasurably day by day.

Two main issues in recent times have strengthened the need for it.

Scotland is being ruled from Westminster by an incompetent party we did not vote for.

Scotland was pulled out of the EU against our vote to remain in.

And finally a union of states is regarded as a single political entity, which by the two issues mentioned above clearly indicates that the UK is not, and the whole imbalanced structure is no longer viable, the sooner the flag waving little englanders realise that the sooner we will be an Independent state and welcomed with open arms into the EU. 

Maybe on Pie and Bovril it does but I fear that this is not high on most people's priority list at the moment.  The need to survive in the short term outweighs all other concerns.

The polls may be moving in our favour but the appetite to have another referendum is, in my own opinion, waning.  The SNP need to start to focus on bringing the issue back to the front and centre of Scottish politics.