Neverendum

Guest Longbottom Leaf

Guest Longbottom Leaf

This referendum stuff in Scotland.

I've a good decade and more before I retire and I've already seen a handful of referenda in my time.

I mean what does once in a generation actually mean?

Will nationalists continue to insist on one every decade or so until they win one?

feeding a blatant troll/alias but alright, f**k all else to do

i) assuming its a reference to that Salmond bit that's often misquoted/taken out of context the "once in a generation" stuff is a red herring, for various reasons. The main thrust is that any senior political figure on any side could say it'll be held once in a generation, once annually or once every thousand years and it'd only ever be their view on it becaaaaauuuse...

ii) the main bit here is that if the SNP keep getting significant election results at Holyrood and Westminster then, shit shock horror, the constitutional debate isn't going to go away anytime soon. Last I checked there has indeed been a pretty consistent and firm backing for the SNP at election after election over the past decade.

iii) There's also credible polling to point to which can gauge opinion on Indy throughout Scotland (savour this quote from the Daily Record attributed to Adam Tomkins, but please disregard the "first time in history" bullshit):

image.png.e9197c25762302c95644a3e60a205a19.png

iv) tying in with ii), Scottish Labour have been so spectacularly incompetent under brain donors like Kezia Dugdale and Jim Fundilimundily Murphy (Leonard looks like he's of similar calibre, night and day between his profile and that of Sturgeon) that it's now more or less turned into a straight shootout between the Tories and the SNP at most elections on unionist/independence lines (notwithstanding weird little Lib Dem enclave islands in the Here Be Dragons bits of Scotland). Also might be worth noting that for all her media darling status Rape Clause Ruthy the Tank Commander got totally backed into a corner over Brexit and ended up fucking off (at least temporarily); senior Scottish Tories actually having to defend some of the more abhorrently cunty practices of the Govt consistently voted in darn sarf is only ever going to feed into the "wait is this what we're a part of here" sentiment.

Haven't even mentioned Scotland vs. England differences in terms of Brexit voting, Boris Johnson's views on Scotland from his time at the spectator/Mayor of London or a few other things springing to mind, so the above is all you're getting from me. Nyahh.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

12 hours ago, Longbottom Leaf said:

This referendum stuff in Scotland.

I've a good decade and more before I retire and I've already seen a handful of referenda in my time.

Will nationalists continue to insist on one every decade or so until they win one?

Yep.

Trumppy

5 hours ago, GAD said:

I don't know which previously humiliated British Nationalist troll this is, but I'm getting it's not going to go any better than the last attempt.

It's Ruth testing her favourite phrase among the opposition prior to her return as glorious leader.

Guest Longbottom Leaf

For the record. I'm neither pro Indi nor against.

I'm most definitely pro democracy in this. 

And we have spoken several times against it.

What I'm interested in is the number we have and the time down between each event. 

If I had to put a figure on it I would say around 50 years. 

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I'm more annoyed about the he's picked name from Lord of the Rings.

Old Toby would have been more appropriate.

Longbottom Leaf is also a strain of cannabis. This may explain his delusional belief that there have been multiple Scottish Independence referenda.

10 minutes ago, Longbottom Leaf said:

What I'm interested in is the number we have and the time down between each event. 

i) political party stands in Scottish seats with clear, well publicised manifesto commitment to seeking a referendum on Scotland going independent

ii) said party wins an overall majority, mandate for a referendum on Scotland going independent now impossible to argue against in good faith

prefer that to arbitrary timescales pulled out of your arse tbh.

16 hours ago, Longbottom Leaf said:

20 minutes ago, Longbottom Leaf said:

Not sure if you’re still trying to work this out, but you’re way off.

Where do you stand on Brexit?

Guest Longbottom Leaf

I should be interested to hear thoughts on whether you would support a referendum on a union with England and Wales, should Scotland become zindependent?

If the folk on this thread argue for another referendum, then logical reasoning would support the same in that other situation. 

I'd also ask for some people above to drop the insults.